March 24th Security Update?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Per sources, Apple will be issuing a March 24th Mac OS X Security Update, fixing security issues with Samba and OpenSSL:

The Security Update addresses a Samba vulnerablitiy which could allow unauthorized remote access to the host system. The Built-in Windows file sharing is based on the open source technology called Samba and is off by default in Mac OS X.

OpenSSL is also updated to address an issue in which RSA private keys can be compromised when the communicating over LAN's, internet2/Abilene, and interprocess communication on local machines.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
its good to know apple is staying on top of security issues even when there are no reports of this being a major issue and the mac os being the least hacked system.

iJon

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
i think os x is a secure system, due to it's obscurity... windows is continuously attacked because script kiddies. and linux is not necessarily a secure system, in fact, much of the time, like when i set it up :D it's not.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
übercool! windows has a new security hole discovered every 12 seconds and jaguar's only had a couple of security updates...not major ones too :)

dricci

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2001
Originally posted by übergeek
übercool! windows has a new security hole discovered every 12 seconds and jaguar's only had a couple of security updates...not major ones too :)
Yeah, I turned my XP PC off for just a few days, and yesterday when I turned it back on, two critical updates were available!

Still, I wonder why this will be updated on the 24th... today is only the 21st. Haven't the Samba people already "fixed" this problem at the source?

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
i would presume they do extensive testing of all updates before public release...

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
Originally posted by melchior
i think os x is a secure system, due to it's obscurity... windows is continuously attacked because script kiddies. and linux is not necessarily a secure system, in fact, much of the time, like when i set it up :D it's not.
The BSD's are not really all that obscure. They are highly regarded when it comes to networking performance, stability, and security in a UNIX distro.

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
i don't think there's any doubt that os x is a pretty secure sorta operating system, but you can basically say it holds the same security as freebsd (or possibly less) which is to say it's good, but not out of this world fantastic. besides this fact, as OS X grows more popular with general consumers, it will be attacked more and more.

freebsd is not openbsd, which is, to the say the least, probably the most secure operating system to date.

all this said, OS X does do great things with security and tries iti's hardest to keep users from putting their system wide open on the net. which is of course, every systems greatest vulnerabilitiy. it's users.

groov'

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2001
Netherlands
samba connectivity

hopefully they also fix the 'new' smb connecting problems.

I never had any problems before 10.2.4, but even after the 'official' samba-update smb keeps crashing when I try to connect my G4's to my XP PC's.

So now I'm forced to always do it (no problems at all) from the other side with "My network lacations".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.