March Against Monsanto 2013

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ijohn.8.80, May 24, 2013.

?

Are you going to your local "March Against Monsanto" protest?

Poll closed May 25, 2013.
  1. Yup, I'll be there!

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. Couldn't give a toss... (No)

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Huh, what? I didn't know.

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. I want to, but, can't make it.

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. ijohn.8.80 macrumors 65816

ijohn.8.80

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

3. zin macrumors 6502

I don't think that you're going to have much luck as long as this kind of corruption is rampant among the Federal Government and its agencies.

[​IMG]

4. MuddyPaws1 macrumors 6502

I read the first 2 paragraphs and couldn't figure our what the hell they were mad about. Reads like a crazy man's manifesto blog.

5. ijohn.8.80 thread starter macrumors 65816

ijohn.8.80

Wow, I'm amazed at the amount of educated folks who don't care what they shove in their mouths! :eek::confused:

Thankfully, here in Oztwaylya, we don't have such a bad situation and our government does actually listen to its constituents and react, even to big business, surprising as that may be.

Have to agree, the web site it woeful, the cause however is an important one to get moving with. Europe is taking action in a very proactive manner, as are parts of Asia. Oztwaylya as a whole is not happy to have GMO's grown here and we are pushing hard for truth in labelling laws to go ahead properly.

Apathy leads to situations that can't easily be changed later on, like Canadian Canola and US Corn. :(

6. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

For those who don't know, 50+% of the carbon in the average American body came from Monsanto genetically-modified corn:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/diet.fitness/09/22/kd.gupta.column/index.html?_s=PM:HEALTH

7. Shrink, May 25, 2013
    Last edited: May 25, 2013

Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Accepting that this is true (for the moment at least, and for the sake of discussion), is that bad?

Assuming that the body is absorbing carbon from food, what is the negative impact, if any. The linked blurb did not indicate that there are negative effects.

I'm not being snarky, I'm really interested in the effects of the carbon absorption. Also, the article didn't say that there was excess carbon in the body, just that 50% is absorbed from genetically modified corn.

8. jnpy!$4g3cwk, May 25, 2013
    Last edited: May 25, 2013

jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

As far as I know, there is no known direct health impact of a tiny difference in the C12-C13 ratio in the human body. That seems very unlikely. On the other hand, it does show how much the collective diet of the U.S. is determined by one single genetically-modified product type from one single corporation. It also is a direct measurement of consumption of a food source that, grown as it is, also results in the dispersal of certain agricultural chemicals that also have an impact on the environment. And, practically speaking, it shows that people are consuming lots of corn-fed beef, corn chips, and corn-derived sugar. Is that good for us? So, no, I'm not concerned about my C-12/C-13 ratio per se, but rather, what it says about us.

9. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Thanks for the interesting and thought provoking response.:)

10. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I know too many people who eat a lot of unnatural foods yet can't figure out why they're sick a lot.

I didn't know about the protests until I saw it on the foreign news programs on PBS. No coverage at all on US news programs or websites...

Vicious cycle - companies make money off of bad food and health care companies make money off the people sick from it.

11. ijohn.8.80 thread starter macrumors 65816

ijohn.8.80

We had a total of nine words mentioned about the local march on a mainstream TV station here, even though their cameras were rolling for over an hour at the actual event attended by 500 or so people!

Can anyone say "media blanket"?! :rolleyes:

12. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

I am shocked, shocked I tell you, to find out ...

Can you say Jane Akre?

13. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Even with a Pink soundtrack it looked disinteresting. And way less than 500 people by the looks of it here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9zA4E38V2M

14. ijohn.8.80 thread starter macrumors 65816

ijohn.8.80

.Andy, it's good of you to pop up here. I'm more interested in your opinion of GMO's though than your attempt to minimise a public effort to safeguard our future food supplies. Did you attend your local event? If not, why? Apathy? You honestly believe GMO food to be safe? Why? What is your opinion of farmers having to sue their neighbouring farmers after they have their organic crops contaminated by GMO crops and then lose their organic certification and livelihood as a result? We as a family of five, grow the greatest majority of our fruit and vegetables. Everything else we eat is local free-range/organic. Do you want truth in labelling, so you know which products you buy are using GMO items? All these things are inextricably linked.

The majority of that video was taken way before the actual event started, as the crowd was building and they were trying to build up the crowds enthusiasm. It's a good capture of that.

The following picture was taken about five minutes before the official speakers commenced and I'd say there was about 400 at that stage.

[​IMG]

15. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

It entirely depends on what modification is done. Do I think blanket that all GMO is bad. No.

I think it sucks. Contamination of the wild population of plants or animals with GMO is my greatest reservation with any form of horticulture, GMO or otherwise. It all needs to be done safely. It is not helped by vandals destroying research crops - a terrible move by greenpeace last year.

I'd say you are vastly over estimating. North terrace isn't big enough to hold 400-500 people on the footpath there. But that's beside the point.

16. ijohn.8.80 thread starter macrumors 65816

ijohn.8.80

We both agree there.

We both agree here too, the situation with colony collapse of bees is at a critical point globally, I'm glad Europe has acted with strength in this regard recently, it will recover fairly quickly. We use Permaculture techniques to grow here, supporting and diversifying natural processes as best we can. Greenpeace is not what it started out as. It lost my respect many years ago. I'm not into violent actions of any kind. :(

Are we looking at the same photo? The people are more than 10 deep on the pavement there. The police had set up a special pathway on the road for foot traffic to pass by. There were over 100 people on the steps alone, about 50 were sitting on the steps at the bottom and about that many were standing on the steps again, spread on both sides. I don't see the benefit for you to argue this number, I said "500 or so". Who gives a toss if there was slightly more or less than 500? Apart from you? :confused:

The point is that in my city alone, hundreds of people gathered in unison to voice their concerns about a corporation that's gone rogue on a global scale.

17. .Andy, May 27, 2013
    Last edited: May 27, 2013

.Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Presumably you are attempting to link CCD to GMO crops. There is little scientific evidence to support this.

Apparently you do. You bought it up and argued it at length now. In post 11 you were using it as a primary point as to the media being against your cause.

And probably a factor of 10 more (going by the photos) turned up at the new apple store.

18. ijohn.8.80, May 27, 2013

ijohn.8.80 thread starter macrumors 65816

ijohn.8.80

Edit: According to eXtension:
    eXtension is an interactive learning environment delivering the best, most researched knowledge from the smartest land-grant university minds across America.
    Therefore, as the greatest majority of both corn and soy grown in the USA are GMO, it is in fact (indirectly) linked to it.

19. ejb190, May 27, 2013

ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

iJohn.8.80, I'm afraid you misread that article. I know both Greg Hunt and Christian Krupke - I worked for Purdue and I'm very familiar with their research. I currently work as a regulatory entomologist.

Yes, the majority of corn and soybeans in the US are GMO.
    Yes, the article points to clothianidin as a possible contributor to CCD.

But this is where your logic fails. Clothianidin is a pesticide, specifically an insecticide, that is put on the outside of seeds (both GMO and non-GMO) to protect them from soil born insects. Drs. Hunt and Krupke make a possible link between a particular pesticide and CCD. (If you read the article to the end, you will see that they even put CCD into perspective in the large world of bee kills.)

Genetically Modified Organisms, by definition have had their DNA manipulated in some way. There are two major GMO products on the market today: Bt corn, which has a bacterial protein with helps protect the crop from insects and Roundup-Ready crops which use a variation of the EPSP enzyme to protect plants from the herbicide glyphosate. There are others, but these are by far the most common.

My point is that this article has NOTHING to do with GMO's. They are examining a pesticide as a possible cause of CCD. This has NOTHING to do with GMO's or even Monsanto for that matter as Clothianidin is a Bayer AG product.

The far greater crime is what corporations and the USDA did to the organic rules that makes it cost prohibitive for a small farmer to call his product "organic".

20. ijohn.8.80 thread starter macrumors 65816

ijohn.8.80

I didn't make my point absolutely clear, sorry. I was (badly) alluding to the fact that if US Corn farmers were using organic growing techniques, they would not be using the neonics at all. I see this is a problem stemming from the greed of big business and them not having the concern for the overall welfare and livelihood of the environment and farmers first and foremost.

21. barkomatic macrumors 68040

The food libel laws make criticizing Monsanto a criminal offense in some cases. There are few companies as corrupt and evil as Monsanto.

22. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

That is not exactly correct. Libel is not a criminal offense, rather, grounds for civil action. In the 13 states that have these laws, they simply lower the bar for the burden of proof. Of course, if what you say crosses state lines, you could be sued in one of those states because you caused harm to someone living there.

What I find problematic is that this does not appear to be covered under equal protection. Speech, after all, is a specifically protected right, the limitations on it need to be uniform.

23. barkomatic macrumors 68040

You are correct and I misspoke. It's not a criminal offense but Monsanto will sue you into lifelong proverty. This has long been their strategy to strong arm independent farmers who don't fall in line. It's shameful the U.S. allows the company to operate this way.

24. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

AFAICT, it is the business standard. If you have enough money, you can overwhelm almost any less wealthy opponent. Monsanto is hardly alone in being able to do just about whatever they want.

25. ThisIsNotMe macrumors 68000

Funny, without a company like Monsanto the global hunger problem would be 10 fold.

But yes, lets march against progress!

FYI, man has been genetically modifying food since the beginning of the agricultural age. The tools might have changed but the results are the same.