March For Our Lives (March 24, 2018)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Mar 24, 2018.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

1653E579-8BF9-443B-BE6E-0A7926C21592.jpeg

Watching this on C-SPAN right now. This is amazing, and the kids are front and center, speaking from the heart. Lots of adults in the crowd who are behind those kids. I’m so proud of these students.

2. raqball macrumors 68000

Good for them.. This is what a peaceful protest looks like so kudos..

3. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Coverage available outside US (UK at least) C-SPAN.org

4. IWantItThatWay Suspended

I'm not giving up one of my gun rights because of useful idiots.

If we give up our gun rights, we give into to tyranny.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 24, 2018 ---
    Oh look! What a surprise, people with guns at the rally:

[​IMG]

This was never about gun control. It's about stripping Americans of their only defense against tyranny.

If anyone can give me a decent explanation for this pic that'd be nice.

5. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

That is an amazingly goofy take.

There were cops at the rally I went to as well...not just to keep order (and these were very polite, orderly crowds), but to keep us safe from potential troublemakers.

6. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

I am completely mystified by your apparent inability to tell the difference between (a) trained, armed security and law enforcement and (b) people who are not.

7. samcraig macrumors P6

8. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Your black guns and tactical gear would do **** against a motivated tyrant.

And any skillful tyrant (like Putin) will know that there are better ways to control you...

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Really? How has it worked out in Iraq and Afghanistan for the US military?

10. oldhifi macrumors 65816

oldhifi

11. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

In Iraq the problem was political.

The average westerner (me included) can’t hold a candle to the worst mujahiddin used to live off rocks with no electricity or water. We’d start crying after two days.

Against an old school invading force, I agree, the US would be a nightmare. That’s why other countries have figured that there are better ways to do it. Trade war, having an incompetent moron elected, etc.

12. raqball macrumors 68000

I agree but I give them props for a peaceful protest..

My opinion is that guns don't kill people, people kill people. A quick look at Chicago, with some of the most restrictive guns laws on the books, shows that...

I am all for enhanced background checks, preventing the mentally ill from having guns and banning bump stocks but I will never support ending or changing the 2nd amendment..

13. IWantItThatWay Suspended

So guns are good for you, but not for others. We call that a "hypocrite."

Sounds like someone in history:

[​IMG]

You sound like one of those people who complain about climate change then rides on a private jet or someone that says people should pay more taxes while hoarding taxes in Ireland.
    The second amendment is to protect me from people like you. The fact you believe everything propaganda tells you shows when push comes to shove you'll send people to gulags.

14. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Don’t be so sure about that. Younger (18-24) voters are overwhelmingly Democrats and the only thing limiting their influence has been relatively low turnout numbers (particularly in mid-term elections). That block is as energized as they have ever been and can be expected to vote in record numbers this November. I think that most estimates of the probable Democratic pickups this November are significantly underestimating the youth vote. They have the power to turn a normal mid-term result into a Democratic wave.

15. IWantItThatWay Suspended

America is done then.

Soros is playing you all for a fool.

You're allegedly from Washington DC. You should know guns aren't the problem. DC at one point was breaking records in crime rates and had gun control.

The shooter had the cops called him over 30 times! Why didn't the Broward County Sheriff's department do anything? Why is it that we should suffer because Democrats shoot each other?

16. Altis macrumors 68030

They are indeed more politically active, due in no small part to politics in schools and social media.

However, don't be so sure that Generation Z will be quite so far left. Anyone who's played a round of CS:GO know that they don't give a hoot about "safe spaces" and "trigger warnings". Studies have indicated they are the most conservative young people since the second world war.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ashley...-losing-sleep-over-generation-z/#30df3c2a7878

17. SoggyCheese Suspended

SoggyCheese

Quick question - do you support the troops?

18. 0007776 Suspended

Do you want to live somewhere with rival warlords in control and fighting over the land near your home? The US military may not be winning, but the terrorists with guns aren’t winning either.
    Clearly not if he wants his guns to use against them.

19. IWantItThatWay Suspended

Depends.

I think their intentions are good, but the Iraq War was fought for foreign interests.

20. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Based entirely on a single unscientific online survey from the UK. In other words, there is no evidence that they are more conservative.

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

“Moderate” on gay marriage probably means compared to other people their age. So likely they support it.

And the Republican Party can hardly be described as fiscally conservative.

And reason.com has done analysis showing millenials aren’t really “liberal” in a classic sense either.

22. SoggyCheese Suspended

SoggyCheese

You would be using your home arsenal against those troops you think have good intentions. How does that make you feel? Your little arms cache against your fellow Americans.

23. Tapiture macrumors 65816

Tapiture

Soros? You know the Koch Brothers and the Mercer’s spend far more on republicans than George Soros spends on democrats, right?

24. IWantItThatWay Suspended

Whatever their social views are, they need to be pro-Constitution.
    You realize how proud I am to be American, where we can defend from tyranny:

[​IMG]

I'm not giving up my guns so you can send me to the gulags.

25. SoggyCheese Suspended

SoggyCheese

I don't believe that. Sorry, but I don't. IMO you just like guns.