Marijuana bill officially introduced to Congress by Ron Paul, Barney Frank

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IntelliUser, Jun 25, 2011.

1. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

http://cannabisculture.com/v2/conte...lly-Introduced-Congress-Ron-Paul-Barney-Frank

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

No chance of it passing, but it would be good if it did.

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

True, but maybe it will help educate the rest of the ignorant Congress. I saw Ron talking about it the other day and the whole idea is to cut the federal govt out of the states on this subject. The current federal law is way more destructive to people caught then the harm from the plant itself. Its shame that this non narcotic got politicized by the Nixon administration and its failed war on drugs. Time for some truth. Thanks Ron Paul for at least giving the truth on this one.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I dunno. Drugs are becoming much less controversial, and the Economist has supported legalising them for years.

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

You're talking from the public perspective, not from the politician. There is still way too much to be gained (for certain people and objectives) playing the "you want our kids on meth" card for this to pass.

Hopefully, though, it will open the door to a meaningful discussion on the "war on drugs". There might even be enough public interest for public opinion to mean something for once! :)

*goes back for another rip from the bong*

6. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Quoting from House Judiciary Committee Chairman Lamar Smith's comment in regards to the bill:

Of course there is no accepted medical use for marijuana in the U.S. -- because the government goes out of its way to make medical research impossible. The only "facts" the government agencies present to the public re: medical use are decades old "talking points".

It's ****ed up.

Marijuana is the only major drug for which the federal government controls the only legal research supply and for which the government requires a special scientific review.

New York Times artilce: Researchers Find Study of Medical Marijuana Discouraged

It's a damn shame. People get sick, suffer, and die under a government too paranoid to allow adequate medical research, for fear of legitimizing cannabis use.

Quoting from a patent application for cannabinoids, from about a decade ago:
    And that's just one example of medical benefits that marijuana might offer... But we'll never really know much of anything about it, without research.

7. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

I'd like to point out that pomegranates also have antioxidants and count as a serving of fruit

8. IntelliUser thread starter macrumors 6502

9. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Sea what I did thar?

10. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Its simple if we arent fearing something they loose all their power and control. They used fear to invade Iraq remember? They used fear to gain more power and control in the patriot act, they used fear to build a billion dollar homeland security, so they will use fear of drugs to piss away more billions empowering themself and the drug dealers. Fear this and we will save you.........but your taxes will go up.:rolleyes: meanwhile our own ATF ( Holder & perhaps Obama) are selling illegal guns to drug cartels so they can say see we need to do something.

11. IntelliUser thread starter macrumors 6502

Applies to cigarettes too. These graphs are kind of amazing when you think about it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

There is one good reason not to legalise drugs. Disappointingly the anti-drugs guys haven't used it - shame on them for not knowing the history/not wanting to embarrass the British/French/US.

13. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

**** pomegranates. I have four (legal) meds I take for congestive heart failure that do control my BP, but they also make me nauseous, I have no appetite, I can't sleep, and I can look forward to having diarrhea every morning, all of which puts me in a really fowl-ass mood. My doctor advises that there are no alternative meds that wouldn't have the same effects.

But if I take my meds, and smoke a tiny bit of cannabis indica, my blood pressure drops 10-20 points within minutes, into the 110/70 range. If I repeat the process just a few times throughout the day, I have an appetite, can sleep, don't have diarrhea, and in general, I find life and work much easier to deal with.

All I can say is excuse the **** outta me for wanting to have some quality of life.

14. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

What does Opium have to do with Cannabis?

15. Surely Guest

Surely

I'm a fan of indica strains as well. Sativa isn't as enjoyable for me.

The benefit of living in CA: knowing exactly what it is that you are buying.:cool::D

I would love this bill to gain some traction and actually pass, but I just don't see it happening in our current political climate.

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

That is what is really stupid about the whole thing, they go out of their way to say how bad pot is yet are all fine with cigarettes.

17. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

For purely recreational use, I always liked both. But from my personal research* over about 18 months, indica seems to be more beneficial for me medically. Sativa lowers my SYS but raises my DIA. Indica lowers both.

Yes, in states where medical use is legal one can usually find and try different strains. With little real research being done, experimentation is about the only option one has. Here in Podunk, things are a bit more challenging. I've been considering moving to a state where I can either buy or grow what works for me.

*Taking blood pressure before and after a smoking.

I kept thinking that eventually, someone with the credibility of Wather Cronkite would look into the camera and say in regards to the war on marijuana, "They won't quit, and we can't win." Maybe someday...

We can't expect the government to officially ever say anything positive about pot, can we? Quoting from the article I cited earlier:

But then, some officials seem willing to speak out on the subject once they've left their position. Former U.S. Surgeon General Joycelyn Elders supports legalizing marijuana

18. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

I'm thinking that the legal ramifications of marijuana and cigarettes should swap places.

19. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Fair point. I was looking at the wider picture of drugs policy as a whole.

20. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

And drinking leads to smoking, or is it the other way around:confused:

But they are both taxed.

Plug marijuana into the tax income model, and all Hell breaks loose.

21. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

If I understand your point, the Opium Wars were a trade war. We've been in a trade war with China for the last 40 years so should we outlaw electronics? ;)

22. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

Localoid have you tried the lab created THC? I only ask because I hear it's the "silver bullet"

Thanks,

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The thing is that if you legalise cannabis there will be much more pressure to legalise other safer drugs that would be still illegal. Hopefully we have the will to go all the way, except maybe the small number of drugs more dangerous than alcohol, but that will has to be there - with regards to legalisation it is a slippery slope IMO.

By selling opium to the Chinese "legally" we got a lot of people addicted to it, much moreso than were addicted before.

24. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

How can a "great outdoorsman" such as Barney Frank wish to legalize pot when he doesn't smoke it and can identify the plant? Hmmm.

25. codymac macrumors 6502

That's a bad comparison considering alcohol has been continuously prescribed by physicians in the United States for longer than the FDA has existed.

Ethanol has recognized therapeutic uses.