Marijuana Legalization Disproportionately Affects the Poor

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

An interesting article claiming how marijuana legalization disproportionately affects the poor. Do you think the article has a point and will it be used against the third party candidates which generally support legalization ?

2. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

"Responsible" = "slavery" or "serfdom", in that context.

How does the article read, now that this minor adjustment of their own wordplay was used?

3. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

well the poor smoke more cigarettes too and I bet they drink more too. they have more children.

4. Limey77 macrumors regular

It's an interesting point that the article brings up, but the substance of the article is very much lacking - not that surprising given the source.

Having said that; it's always the same, the poor and uneducated are always more effected by anything. They drink more, smoke more, have more unprotected sex, more abortions, more kids - the list goes on and on.

Of course people with earnings over $90,000 are going to spend a third of their income on weed - there aren't enough hours in the day to smoke that much.

Is it actually an issue? I don't know but the article does nothing to help that. How are drunk driving stats in comparison, death due to alcohol, hit and runs etc. How about deaths by glue sniffing, heroin etc.

Of course by legalising something you're going to see an increas of reports of everything related to it. It's only natural. But is the net effect positive or negative? Again I don't know.

5. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

So only a 3% user difference between the two classes listed. How much was age taken into account? Such as how many of the $20k and under group are part of the younger generation? The young tend to make less money and are less educated as well as smoke more then their older more educated counterparts. The alternative is keeping it illegal and the negative aspects that come with it which is essentially worse off for the poor.

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

"Dope will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no dope." — the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers

7. stroked Suspended

stroked

It's also harder on the poor, when they get caught. Not only is it harder for them to pay the fines, but they also have to rely on the crappy court-appointed attorneys.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

So the poor benefit most from legalised weed. Good.

9. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

The Potheads asked and pushed for legalization... Slowly they are getting what they want. Now i am suppose to feel bad that a drug that is voluntarily used is somehow harming the poor???

Sorry, I could care less! let them smoke up!

10. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

The same study was covered in much more depth and with much more balance by the Washington Post https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...marijuana-users-different-from-everyone-else/