Marijuana Poll

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by tshrimp, Nov 10, 2015.

?

Have you tried marijuana, and did you go on to try any other drugs? Exluding Alcohol or Tobacco.

1. Tried MJ (5 times or less), but did not try any other drugs.

8 vote(s)
    11.4%
  2. Used MJ regularly, but did not try any other drugs.

15 vote(s)
    21.4%
  3. Tried MJ (5 Times or less), and went one to use/try another drug.

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  4. Used MJ regularly, and went on to use/try another drug.

17 vote(s)
    24.3%
  5. Never tried MJ, and never tried any other drugs.

27 vote(s)
    38.6%
  6. Never tried MJ, but tried other drugs.

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

With all the marijuana discussion I thought I would do poll on it.

2. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

never tried it or other drugs, don't care if you do, it's your body, have at it as you see fit

3. zin macrumors 6502

Provided people make an informed choice then I see no reason to concern myself with whether somebody chooses to smoke marijuana. People should have access to the risks concerning marijuana (and they do). If you don't like the risks then don't take the drug. If you're willing to accept the risks and agree to smoke marijuana in the privacy of a private building then it's not something I'd lose sleep over.

I've never tried marijuana or other drugs. Does caffeine count?

4. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I used to smoke quite a bit of it in my late teens and sadly a couple of my friends still smoke it heavily. Where the rest of us have gone on to have successful careers, they still live like students and lack any motivation. It's a nice buzz when you smoke it but despite the evidence of links to mental illness it also makes you very lethargic.

These days I hate all kinds of smoking and after watching family members die young, I would welcome it to be banned altogether. I certainly wouldn't want cannabis legalised as I think it's pointless legalising yet something else to add to the growing list of harmful substances creating issues for the NHS. Let people buy it illegally if they want to take the risk as I did. I just think legalising it will mean easier access and more people trying it. No thanks. :)

5. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

prohibition does not work, if people lie about the effects and kids try it they end up wondering what else is not as bad as they were told.
    education is the key on BOTH sides, spare me the "it's evil & will lead to you using other drugs" along with the "it cures cancer and successful people like Steve jobs and Obama have used drugs blah blah blah blah".

6. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Successful regular smoker here! Software engineer with wife/kids/house/etc.

7. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

my wife is using cbds to help with her seizures and pain. you need some thc for it to work well and that keeps he from getting so upset at work and to think clearly. ( I think her seizure meds mess her mind up a bit) the effects from one dose of cbd with a little thc lasts about 24 hours for her. we accidentally got some thc tincture we both tried it for the fist time ever and don't like the effects. but it is helpful as a sleep aid over something that can be nasty. I rather see people use pot the alcohol. the whole gateway thing is a bit misleading. some people are going find a escape from reality no matter what is legal or if is harmful. so they may start with pot but they will be going on to other things because they have a problem to begin with. alcohol, cigarettes, food,pot drugs religion can all be misused. but blaming the substance is pointless. if it is not one thing it will be another.

8. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Haven't ever tried it or any other drugs. That said for recreational use I don't see it as any better or worse than Alcohol or Tobacco so it probably should be legalized at least for small amounts. I think having people go to jail for it is a lot worse as having a conviction on their record will make it harder for them to get a good job and may make them more likely to commit crimes after they get out of jail.

For medical uses it would be nice if the federal government would allow studies of it to see if it actually has the medicinal effects that supporters claim it does.

9. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I am teen of the 1960's went on the hippie road to Kathmandu in 1968 for my GAP year, used MJ and LSD till mid 1970's.

After I was married and had children, I slowed way down, I never did drugs again.

10. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

how can you handle a wife & kids while sober? is that not torture? :p

11. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Well after my wife died from cancer leaving me with two small children, I had other things to occupy my time, drugs just didn't fit in with being a responsible father.

12. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

sorry for your loss.

13. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Thank you, It was many years ago, they say time heals all.
    I can see her in my two daughters, and I see glimpses of her in my two granddaughters.

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

The first drug I ever tried was alcohol.

Later in my life I tried cigarettes.

Years later, I tried marijuana.

But marijuana's supposed to be the "gateway" drug, right? o_O

15. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

I smoked regularly towards the end of high school and through much of college. It's been over a decade since I actually bought any, but I have smoked it when offered at New Year's parties and stuff like that.

I've also tried a few other drugs :)

But about the point you're implying with this poll... correlation is not causation. People who develop substance abuse problems don't do so because they tried marijuana first. It's simply that pot is a very common thing to try, with over 40% of Americans having done so and the vast majority of them never developing an addiction to anything. http://www.gallup.com/poll/184298/four-americans-say-tried-marijuana.aspx

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Same with me.

17. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

B-but haven't you seen Reefer Madness?! The shameful orgies the result from smoking the wicked weed?!

18. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

If only that were actually the case...

19. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Good Christian girls turned bad...

20. sim667 macrumors 65816

21. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

The wording of the poll is a bit odd. It implies the whole gateway drug theory has any teeth, which a lot of research has shown it does not. The fact someone might have tried pot and also tried another drug does not mean they "went on" from pot to the other drug - other than the fact both drugs might be illegal, there is no connection.

22. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Agree. It's a dumb message to send people that getting high is wise. World is filled with dumb people though.

23. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Sorry for your loss man. Agree with your last statement.

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Agreed. Plus, since it only takes into account marijuana, any results skew toward it being the gateway drug, while ignoring alcohol and tobacco, thus fulfilling the objective of the OP to unfairly vilify marijuana and perpetuate the myth of it being a dangerous drug needing to remain illegal.

So I ignored the poll.

25. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I thought you smoked regularly and do one hallucinogen a year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.