Marijuana Prohibition Is Unscientific, Unconstitutional And Unjust

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mudslag, May 15, 2015.

1. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jacobsu...-is-unscientific-unconstitutional-and-unjust/

Its a joke and its sad to see so many people continue to maintain that type of ignorance even today.

2. Thraun macrumors regular

Thraun

Since the original prohibition of marijuana in America was racially motivated, I honestly think you could say that anyone who supports the continued prohibition of cannabis is a racist. That's pretty safe to say, no?

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Link please

4. Thraun macrumors regular

Thraun

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

The Claim the prohibition was racially motivated

6. Thraun macrumors regular

Thraun

Oh, I thought that was relatively common knowledge. I'm not even American and I knew.

Normally finding sources is way too much work for me, considering I don't actually care much whether you think I'm right or not, but this time let me check. By that I mean Wikipedia. One second....

----------

Well the quickest thing I could find were these quotes from Harry J. Anslinger, the head of the Federal Bereau of Narcotics and the main driving force to the national prohibition of cannabis in the 1930s:

7. mudslag thread starter macrumors regular

mudslag

Would you deny the racial motivation here?

8. Meister Suspended

Meister

Narcotic laws are "racially motivated". :p

I can already smell the bulls**t pile up mountain high in this thread :D

9. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Don't worry, he probably will deny it. Meister already did. To hell with all the evidence.

----------

And yet you fail to rebuttal the proof you're presented with. That's the usual routine with you, shocker. All the emoticons in the world won't make you sound smarter.

10. Meister Suspended

Meister

With "proof" you mean some pointless, flimsy, regionally limited statistics and some quotes from random people from 70 years ago?

(1) Laws against cannabis were introduced internationaly, mainly in countries where everyone was the same "race"

(2) I know that this is hard to believe for you and all the other racists on this forum, but there is no such thing as "race" and people are not forced by an invisible hand to take narcotics just because their skin happens to be darker

11. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

You're unworthy of anymore replies from me. Welcome to the ignore list.

12. AngerDanger macrumors 68030

AngerDanger

Those people are using their racism to justify their stance, but it's nonsensical to claim that everybody who holds that view does so for the same reason.

A friend likes the pants I wear because they make my ass look fantastic; I like the pants I wear because they fit. Do I implicitly also think my ass looks fantastic? :eek:

13. Meister Suspended

Meister

:p

The truth hurts ...

[​IMG]

14. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Marijuana was mainly popular with blacks and Mexicans back in the pre-prohibition days. I can remember my (white) grandmother talking to us about smoking it with jazz musicians back in the 30s. I don't know if the racial element was explicit but I'm sure it was there.

15. Meister Suspended

Meister

You are ignoring what I wrote and focus soley on the United States.
    How do you explained what happened in the rest of the world?
    Did european countries ban cannabis to harrass all those countless black and mexican jazz musicians that were roaming the lands here in the 40s and 50s?

16. Happybunny macrumors 68000

So by a reverse logic.

So what you are saying is because the poster only concentrates on events in the USA, and not the WHOLE world, the idea is fundamentally flawed.

So because the Nurnberg laws of 1935 only effected Germany, there was nothing to worry about for Jews, as the rest of the world was safe .

17. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Corroboration ...

18. Meister Suspended

Meister

What a ridicolous comparison :rolleyes:

In the 50s the UN coherced all nations to criminalize subtances previously common and legal.
    In the 80s Reagan abused this nonsense to turn the US into a prison society, with 1% of the population permanentaly locked up.
    The cannabis ban coincided with racsim, but it didn't happen because of it.

19. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

No more ridiculous than your attempt to discredit a legitimate discussion focused on the United States by introducing completely irrelevant international facts.

20. Happybunny macrumors 68000

You are again wrong this thread has absolutely nothing to do with events in the rest of the world.

OP made it clear in the article that this was about the USA.

There have been links posted which support the idea that this was racial, these links go back to the 1930's.

21. Meister Suspended

Meister

I explained that the criminalization was caused by international agrements. Racists merely jumped on the moving wagon.

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

That would be easy to prove if according to the timeline the international agreements preceded the racism.

Let's look at the dates and see how they say.

What international agreements are you referring to?

Please cite.

23. Meister Suspended

Meister

Good point. :eek:

Anslinger did come from the US and he was a racist and drug addict himself.
    And of course racism was rampant in the 30s and before that.

----------

I took a quick look and you are right!
    I did get the timeline mixed up.

Seems like they mixed racism into the drug propaganda. That doesn't mean that the reasons for banning cannabis were based on racism. They merely used racial stereotypes to scare people.

24. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Hell of a thread title, especially considering zero support for any of the 3 claims you made are contained in the OP or any subsequent post.

25. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I agree that the original motivation was racist. And, also a variation on prohibitionism and part of a rising tide of authoritarianism at the time.

That doesn't prove, by the way, the Marijuana is good for people, especially, young people.

The War on Drugs was stupid, while we are on the subject. But, likewise, many of those drugs are not good for the people who ingest them.