Marines again in trouble?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Happybunny, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Happybunny, Feb 10, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2012

Happybunny macrumors 68000

2. fox10078 macrumors 6502

fox10078

TBH it can't be avoided, those are widely known symbols... I mean look at the people in the picture, all white it couldn't mean anything else.

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

The optimist:
    1) people of a certain age can be ignorant of history
    2) people of a certain age/maturity can be insensitive to how their actions affect others

The pessimist:
    1) there are white supremists in the military
    2) there are people who deliberately use offensive symbols to provoke reaction

The realist:
    1) there is probably some component of each of the above t play here
    2) cameras are way too prevalent and oft record life's most embarrassing moments

The USMC doesn't allow these types of symbols and the "scout snipers" have been reprimanded.

4. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Yeaah...that really doesn't look good

http://www.isdrecords.com/store/images/ss-flag01.jpg

----------

Do you mean some folks who are given guns and the authority to kill people are now representing the USA in another land populated by brown :eek: people.

You make this seem rather more innocent than it is. If these were a bunch of idiot high school students you can play the "insensitive but no big deal" card.

When it's a bunch of highly trained snipers who decide who lives and who dies on a day to day basis, it's WAY less harmless.

5. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

War has been known to cloud people's judgment. Not making excuses...

6. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

In all fairness, my friend is in the Air Force and had no idea what the SS was. He knew very well what the swastika is, but the SS symbol isn't as notorious. Just look at the KISS logo, Gene Simmon's mom is a holocaust survivor and much of his family was killed by the nazis, but he still has no problem using that symbol. Things aren't always as they seem on the surface.

Attached Files:

7. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Hey, I don't give these guys a pass. Even the "optimistic" view of this looks bad, just less bad than the worst case scenario.

8. Happybunny thread starter macrumors 68000

But KISS is still something different from this.

[​IMG]

9. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Not sure what point you're making, the symbols are exactly the same. They mean different things to different people. And unfortunately, many people are ignorant to the nazi SS symbol even if they know what the swastika stands for. I'm looking at it from an optimistic point of view because it doesn't surprise me that some people really don't know what that means, i've met people like that in real life.

10. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I think his point is that KISS is not involved in killing people, only taste.

11. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

KISS also wasn't trying to portray any nazi connections with their logo, and i don't think these marines were either. I believe ignorance is to blame here.

12. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

The KISS symbol has context (literally a KI next to the SS). The flag on the other hand displays only SS. I suppose it is plausible that there is a context in which this flag isn't meant to be a neo-nazi symbol, but if they had posed in front of a KISS flag no one would give a ****.

13. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Gene's lawyers would be on them like Oprah on a bucket of chicken.

14. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Fair point!

15. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Interesting. Those are stylized Ss in the Kiss Logo, my guess, no hidden meaning. What are the lighting bolt Ss in the Marine photo supposed to stand for?

16. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Scout Snipers. Read the article.

17. Huntn, Feb 10, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2012

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I scanned it. :p I don't think the SS has a lock on its artistic choices, although I do see the rub.

18. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

There ya go champ! :D

Exactly. No question they shouldn't have used it, but i don't think they had any bad intentions. There's a good chance they really didn't know.

19. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I'm sorry, but there are a lot of organizations with the initials SS. Not everything associated with the Nazis has to be faux pas anymore. SS... oooohhhh so naughty to say those two letters together. So it's not the SS... if it's not the letters, is it just that they made the curvey letters pointy? There are really only a couple of ways to make two S's look "tough." It seems silly to make the font used by the Nazi's verbotten.

20. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I would agree except in the case of a military organization. Too close to the bone, as it were.

21. Happybunny thread starter macrumors 68000

I you are so sure of your self, put it on a t shirt and walk the streets of Tel Aviv. I think the reaction would be a little more than oooohhhh so naughty.

22. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Unlike more coded symbols like '88' or the Totenkopf ("Death's Head") and Eagle, which have other meanings, the lightning bolts should be avoided because it is an obvious symbol of Nazi's and neo-Nazis.

The fact that these guys are ignorant of history—which is pretty amazing considering that their grandfathers may have fought 'SS' troops—can be an excuse, but it's not a very good one.

23. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Super Snipers

They were not neo nazis

They were not white supremacists

Yes their use of the "SS-like" symbol will be seen as insensitive by some, ignorant by others, and not permitted by the leadership.

Tough $4it

Grow a pair and get over it.

The leadership have spoken and made the politically correct response. The unit has long since returned to the US and been naturally broken up.

I thank these young men for their dedicated service to the country and am glad they were there keeping out troops safe. The marine snipers did a tough job very well and I could care less if their unit banner resembled a uniform insignia from WWII, which was 45 years before any of these kids were even born.

24. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

And yet no one seems to have a problem with these guys brandishing weapons that can "reach-out and touch someone" at 1,000 yards, plus. :confused:

25. Squadleader macrumors regular

Should they....?? :confused:

----------

Amen brother.....:D