Marital Advice from Dennis Prager

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by .Andy, Dec 26, 2008.

1. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

linky.
    Emphasis mine (it took all my strength not to bold everything). Sad to see such anachronistic attitudes towards women's roles alive and well.

Attached Files:

2. itcheroni macrumors 6502a

Great article. I like getting insights into how people who are very different from me think. Ideally, you'd marry someone sexually compatible. But to find that out, you would have to have sex before marriage.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

My god- you poor straight people. This is the kind of stuff you have to deal with? In a way, I kind of agree with the guy. If I got denied sex repeatedly and often, I'd be p***ed too. But also yeah, it is important to know how the person you marry feels about sex. It's all about the right match, I guess.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The marital union is the building block of the church. Someone needs to breed an army.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh my- that's frightening. We better get busy with that artificial insemination stuff. :)

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yup, that's what straight people deal with. You sure you still want the right to get married? :D

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Well, it's definitely a somewhat different dynamic for us. ;)

8. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

But isn't that... *gasp* a sin?!? :eek::p

Anyway, I often wonder how the human race has survived for so relatively long, considering how ridiculously complex its mating rituals are. And yet we find the liberal Bonobos on the endangered species list :confused:

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

And I thought I was olde fashioned :D what a douche. And I rarely use that word.

10. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Murder and marriage: One's a quick death, the other is sure.

But, really, marriage is a Good Thing. Every family oughta have one. It's good for the kids...

'Rat

11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

this leaves me pretty much speechless. what a bunch of ****.

12. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Why that's remarkably carte blanche of you.

Am I to imagine that you are in favor same-sex marriage then? (not to take the thread off topic)
    Frankly Lee, I'm surprised anyone can keep up with your libido. ;):D

But seriously, this guy is a nut job. If you're not satisfied with your sex life, you don't tell your partner you want more because it's their obligation to make you happy. It should be about finding the balance that works for both of you (and if you can't find that balance, just visit the "bathroom" more often).

13. thebassoonist macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

I am now physically ill. I think I might vomit.

Wow... look at this comment...

"Women are only "providing half the financial support for the family" because any man who insists on being the sole provider is labeled a sexist, misogynistic, bigot who simply wants to oppress women--starting with his wife. No man in his right mind is going to subject himself to that kind of scorn willingly. Women wanted to be independent and free, but still enter into a relationship like marriage where dependency is a fundamental part. In point of fact: they want to have their cake and eat it too. As far as teaching boys to be men: what would you have them do? Teach them to act like women?"

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I agree. This is a serious breakdown in communication. That's why I said what I said earlier. People should be able to talk about their needs- that's why I hate this article. It assumes that straight people never talk to each other. It just says "this is what you need to do to make your life better." Please! Just talk! No one needs an idiot like this to tell them how to fix their lives.

15. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I think part of the problems is that sex is "taboo" too much.

It's a very important part of any relationship, so why wouldn't people talk about it more? It's totally illogical. :confused:

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Again- I agree. It needs to be discussed much more than it is. It's ridiculous to me that some people would listen to a guy like this. On the other hand, using sex (or the lack of) as a control factor or weapon is even worse. So in a way, he has a point.

17. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I don't know...it seems to me like his whole point is that when a woman doesn't feel horny, she should just put up with it anyway.

Sex as a bargaining chip is something different, and something tells me this guy's opinion would be just as absurd on that issue too.

18. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Finally, someone who understands traditional marriage as it should be.

:rolleyes:

19. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I have a similar point of view, though I must admit I find it difficult to really empathise with this "not in the mood" lark, I couldn't imagine being with a partner who I did not fancy to the point of being up for sex pretty much any time, if my partner started to say no I'd be utterly devastated but at the same time I'd rather she not say yes if she didn't want to, it's fairly obvious when someone's not into it.

I don't think a little effort to get yourself in the mood is all that much to ask for, if this article had been written in a gender neutral way I think it could have had a point. Withholding sex definitely does screw with peoples heads my current partner has experienced this for herself and it drove her insane for years, she's only just now starting to get over it and realise that she's actually very attractive.

Want a bet? My libido's natural want is 3x a day plus a couple of hours of D/S play.

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

21. .Andy thread starter macrumors 68030

.Andy

There were two but they've both divorced him (seriously).

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Thank you! Agreed on all points! I have a difficult time being with anyone who isn't "up for it" often. Fortunately for me, it's very rarely an issue.

23. Desertrat macrumors newbie

CalBoy, I generally don't worry about other folks' deals. Generally, not my business. My approval or disapproval doesn't affect my behavior as to courtesy and politeness, and that's pretty much the end of it...

I've known women who played the ancient game about sex and "What have you done for me, lately?" with their husbands. I never had that problem. I always figured that sometimes BossLady wasn't in the mood; no big deal. Sometimes I wasn't in the mood. No big deal. I've always liked high-IQ ladies with strong personalities. Real, live, competent grownups. Honesty and openness seemed to be easily come by. Damfino. Marriage ain't 50/50; it's 100/100. But the years roll on, like it or not, and folks find out that, "Kissin' don't last, but cookin' do."

:), 'Rat