Mark Cuban: "“we all have our ... bigotries"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ugahairydawgs, May 22, 2014.

1. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Interesting article on the issue of stereotypes and bigotry in the world today. Almost weird in this day in age for a person to be this honest and open about his own flaws when it isn't forced by some circumstance. Particularly...

Article Link: http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story...cks-discusses-own-prejudices-how-handles-them

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Ha, I am the reason why others walk to the other side of the street :D and the guy is right.

3. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Why you say that?

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

seen it happen a few times, I walk/bike/jog somewhat late at night ,8-11 whenever I manage to make the time, looking like this at night (minus glasses).

[​IMG]

5. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I'd walk on the same side of the street you're on. However, if you are jogging/biking/running, I would give way to you so I don't interrupt your pace, but I'm not going to move out of your way out of fear or any type of prejudice. We are all human.

BL.

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

women are the ones who tend to move the most, I do not bother changing to "running" gear, I simply drop my wallet & keys at home & go jog/run/bike in whatever I am wearing. being butt ugly DOES have it's advantages, no one messes with me :D

7. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Fixed that for you. You have to admit; nobody messes with a guy who is bald by choice. :D

BL.

8. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

The problem I see with a statement like this is .........

If you ask someone ..... Would they be scared of a group of blacks vs a group of whites? Regardless of the actual answer, Most people would mentally picture the group of blacks in thuggish street clothes and whites in business attire.

This was shown in a social experiment years ago. Can't remember from where. It was both whites and blacks who had that stereotype mental image.

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I heard this on ESPN this morning and was surprised that people were reacting negatively to it.

I get was Cuban was trying to say and forgive his inarticulate way of expressing it.

He's an entrepreneur ... not a philosopher.

And sometimes it shows.

10. ugahairydawgs thread starter macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Probably would depend on who you ask.

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

It is true, we are all closeted racists. We might not say derogatory things but if we see something that looks "threatening" we turn around.

12. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I can't recall ever walking on the other side of the street from anyone intentionally. People just don't freak me out.

13. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Doesn't crossing the street give the signal that you are afraid?

And can't real street predators sense this? Sort of like aggressive dogs can always tell when a person is afraid of them.

14. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Basically I agree we are all racist however, all racists are not equal and I would reserve the term racist for the worst extreme examples. If assigning attributes to people based on their color or appearance, then it's racial or stereotypical, but we can be racists or stereotypical at different levels/extremes, because it is a baseline of the worst of possibilities we initially imagine based strictly on appearance coupled on how quickly those initial impressions can be adjust in a positive or negative direction based on a variety of factors, including speech, mannerisms, body language, etc.

15. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

A regular black person walking down the street: DANGER

A white guy with a self mutilated flesh all over his body: DANGER

...uh yeah...not cool

So black in itself makes a rich white man tremble, but you have to look like a freak to set off his spider sense otherwise.

This is just being an ignoramus.

This is why you can't compare the gay civil rights movement to the black civil rights movement. I have absolutely no doubt there were gay men on Klan rides lynching blacks and burning down their homes, and living a completely white privileged life during the day.

Being a black man in America is the crime and it starts at birth.

16. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

If anyone dresses like a gangbanger or they might be on drugs I try to stay alert. I do the same around homeless people.

Wearing a coat or hoodie in the middle of summer isn't normal so I assume you could potentially be hiding a weapon.

Only time anyone has attempted to steal anything from me was a black male hooded up on the subway late at night during summer. Attempt failed and he ran away.

Mark Cuban sits next to a black male for entire seasons of shark tank, avoiding hoodlums is not racist.

17. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Is your mug shot real?

18. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

You're 4 foot 6?

19. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

[​IMG]Photoshop image,it is 18" just from the lip area to the top [​IMG].

20. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Munchkin sounds good to me. ;)

21. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Not necessarily. I see it more as being street smart.

I've done it, while walking in Chicago and NYC. Depends on the circumstances and environment.

I've learned (sometimes the hard way) to always trust my instincts.

22. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

You mean the same way some black people today, specifically their churches, are fighting gay civil rights today? Just because gay people (a lot of times) can't be identified visually all the time, doesn't make their struggle for equality any less significant or not comparable to the black civil rights movement. What a ridiculous assertion. And you can bet those gay guys that were part of lynch mobs were trapped in the closet anyway, they would have been lynched just as quickly if their sexuality was exposed. Also, you do realize that there are people who are gay AND black right? I'm sure they would beg to differ with you.

23. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Prejudices aren't all bad and can protect us. If I see a gang all wearing the same color bandana, you better believe I'm not going to walk right into them to prove to myself and the internet I'm not racist.

I think most of the country is past the point where we assume that any non-white person on the street is a danger or that any white person is automatically *not* a danger. There has to be other cues which suggest that possibility.

24. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

In addition to dealing with the prospect of getting gay bashed, they also get the following perks

-Higher chance of being racially profiled
    -Highest demo for infection for HIV/AIDS
    -Greater chance of being subjected to violence, including death
    -Highest demographic for unemployment
    -Highest demo for single parent homes
    -Most likely uninsured and without any type of health coverage
    -More likely to encounter employment, and housing discrimination
    -More likely to be incarcerated

Yay?! It's all the same?

Don't pretend the black experience, especially the black gay experience has any parity with being white and gay. White privilege still exists, while blacks remain the poorest earning, and least educated in the entire nation.

Cuban made it clear that black skin is enough to concern, but a white man must be outside the norm for him to notice. He might totally lose control of his bowels if a black drag queen in a hoody was near him.

25. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

HIV/AIDS is preventable, you forgot to mention that black violence including death is normally caused by someone of the same race. Single parent homes is another inner cultural problem, and incarceration is totally preventable as well. Along with being the highest demographic for unemployment you will also find that blacks are the highest demographic for high school dropouts in an economy where college graduates find it tough to get a job.

Much of your list is either completely preventable or caused by inner cultural issues.

Mark Cuban isn't crossing the street when Carlton Banks walks by.