Mark Kelly not getting his AR-15

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by duneriderltr450, Mar 25, 2013.

1. duneriderltr450 macrumors 6502

duneriderltr450

From Diamondback Police Supply's Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=579606908724820&id=143341839017998

Was going to post this in the other thread but its locked.

2. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

He had to return to the store to fill out forms? He should have gone to a gun show where he could have just taken one home. In NC you can take an AR15 out the door in 10 minutes.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Not true.

He had to wait 20 days for the weapon to clear the PD checks (local ordinance), since it was used. He paid for it, but couldn't pick it up yet.

He hadn't done the NICS check on that rifle yet, that's why he had to go back to fill out the 4473.

Additionally, dealers are required to do NICS checks all the time - even at gun shows. The "gun show loophole" refers to private sales that occasionally happen at gun shows - e.g. I go to a show with my rifle and offer to sell it to someone else at the show.

4. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

It's pathetic how a true American hero is being dragged through the mud over this.

5. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

What does his job have anything to do with this? While I am at it explain to me what he has done to achieve hero status?

With regards to this topic, he is either a liar or a hypocrite...choose one please.

6. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

How is he being dragged through the mud? Looks to me like the store voided the sale and is making a charitable donation as a result. Where's the smear on Kelly?

7. eric/ Guest

eric/

Well, despite your appeal to patriotism, the man clearly made a mistake by attempting to use this as a political talking point. So, he deserves criticism for doing so.

8. Hawkeye16 macrumors regular

Hero? I don't know if I would go that far. He tried to purchase a gun and got caught and then two faced it IMO. He wasn't doing anything to "show how easy" it was otherwise he would have come out about it before the press found out.

9. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Maybe it's a racial thing ?

10. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

he has a second amendment right to buy the gun simply because he wants it.....and it doesn't matter if you don't like why he wants it.

11. eric/ Guest

eric/

Lol ok. So I can be sure to count you in the next time somebody says "you don't need a 30 round magazine"?

and FWIW the seller also has the right to refuse the sale.

12. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

depends, what side of the argument will you be arguing for at the time? :p

13. eric/ Guest

eric/

I guess that depends. I think I've held a pretty fine line throughout threads over time. I just don't like when people take something I said from one thread as the gospel and then follow me around and use that as an arguing point, when it's not.

14. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

15. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

you mean you don't like having people point out when you contradict yourself?

It certainly looks like you don't want people telling YOU when it's acceptable to buy a gun but you're perfectly willing to turn around and do exactly that to somebody else

16. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I don't think it's like that at all.

It's been factually established that he's against the sale of semiautomatic rifles - "You know, I argue the semi-automatic assault weapon with a high capacity magazine is just too dangerous to be on the street where criminals and terrorists and the mentally ill can easily get them."

After saying that, he goes out and buys one, claiming he wanted to give it to the police. So either he never intended to give it to the police (in which case he's a liar) or he did intend to give it to police, but bought it anyway (in which case he's a hypocrite).

I'm not sure it's a "smear" to point out facts, rather than opinions.

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Kelly came to Colorado to testify in favor of some new gun laws that just passed. One of them was to limit magazine capacities to 15 rounds. Then he goes and buys one.:rolleyes: It just reeks of hypocrisy.

18. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

that sure seems like a pretty strange argument to make him a hypocrite....as you yourself point out, he says;
    so he's giving the gun to the police, which will make sure it isn't "on the streets".........if he kept it, then you might have a point, but despite your claim of hypocrisy, he seems to be acting in line with what he's said

19. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

How is it being a hypocrite to say you want these guns off the street and then you buy one to give it to the police?

20. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

...where state law points out that it would be auctioned off. To someone on the streets.

My point is that the very thing he wants to make the sale of which illegal, he goes right out and contributes to the demand for. It's not a sensible way to get anything "off the street." It reminds me of the woman on COPS who bought some crack from a dealer then took it to the police, asking them to arrest the dealer. They arrested her instead.

21. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Buying one gun contributes to the demand for it? I don't think so. I don't think that buying one of anything would have any effect whatsoever on the supply and demand of that product. You're reaching here. The difference between what he did and that crack story is she was buying something that is illegal.

22. eric/ Guest

eric/

Well yeah i can tell people all day that I think what they're doing is dumb. But I'm not about to ban the guy (or others) from owning firearms over it.

His motives are questionable at best, considering his stance.

23. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Then what is the point of him buying it to turn it in?

24. glocke12, Mar 26, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2013

glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

You don't buy his crackpot story do you ? THink it through...

He wants to demonstrate how easy it is to buy an AR15 and than "give it to the polce"...

1) First off, everyone and their uncle should know by now that in most states, you can pretty much walk into a gunstore and walk out with a rifle in under 30 minutes...Quicker if you do a private transaction. Why waste your time/effort/money doing something that is common knowledge.

2) He bought a used rifle which apparently requires the gun store to run the serial number through a stolen guns database which takes weeks apparently. This doesn't exactly demonstrate how "quickly and easily" it is to buy a modern sporting rifle. Why not just buy a new one right than and there, or if the store doesn't have any get it in a day or so??? They are all over Gunbroker and other places on the internet.

His "story" just does not add up and in all likelihood he wanted this for personal use.

Its not like either one of them are unfamiliar with the weapon.

http://www.mrconservative.com/2013/03/6810-mark-kellys-ar-15-stunt-reveals-embarrassing-giffords-photo-leak/

25. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

The sheer number of responses to my earlier post just proves how desperate gun owners are. They're willing to hang the innocent just so they have a scapegoat. It's pathetic.