Mark Sanford admits affair after disappearing

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by luminosity, Jun 24, 2009.

1. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

In what may be the most bizarre conclusion to any of the major Republican sex scandals over the years, South Carolina governor has confessed to having an affair with a woman in Argentina.

It's like they've had a curse ever since they went after Clinton.

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

The Republicans are a curse.

Still, blows the water out of my theory. My boss went on vacation last Thursday and returned this morning. I figured he and Sanford were together.

I think Sanford can forget about any presidential aspirations.

3. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

4. rfrankl macrumors 6502

I got the headline over the AP Mobil app being pushed through.

5. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Most intelligent post of the day. :eek:

On a lighter note... hopefully she's more attractive than Edwards' and Clinton's past love interest:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

I saw this morning that he was in Argentina, but just got the AP News push that he admitted to an affair. It's on msnbc tight now. He just held a press conference admitting it.

Crazy! I thought it was weird enough when he was just taking a hike, but this is just too bizarre.

7. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

8. OscarTheGrouch macrumors 6502

this story has been weird from the beginning.

First the news breaks that our Gov. has disappeared. Then it is reported that he told his office (and not his wife) that he was hiking the Appalachin Trail.... Then it comes out he was spotted in Atlanta, and there was also a missing SLED vehicle there....

Then THIS comes out, and just wow.... reaffirms my beliefe that SC is one of the worst states in the country. Everything here is just so backasswards.

9. luminosity thread starter macrumors 65816

luminosity

My apologies for not including a link in my first post. I was on my iPhone and I still haven't gotten copy and paste mastered yet. Just wanted to get something started, as I was surprised there wasn't yet a discussion on Mr. Sanford.

Who wants to make some bets on who the next 2010 potential GOP nominee is to fall victim to a sex scandal?

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

[​IMG]

Why is Faux News allowed to call themselves a news channel? Isn't that false advertising?

11. joro macrumors 68020

joro

Fox News says, because he’s done something bad he MUST be a democrat! :rolleyes:

12. luminosity thread starter macrumors 65816

luminosity

Someone should be fired for that. They've done that many times before, including with John McCain some years ago.

It's blatantly false and takes advantage of people's ignorance.

13. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Hope his wife takes him to the cleaners... followed by the voters. People who void their wedding vows don't deserve the trust or respect of the voters, let alone their families

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

And of course, his speech was littered with references to his faith and the Bible. Just another "family values' hypocrite.

Any best on whether or not he used state funds on these trips?

By the way, he has resigned as the head of the Republicans Governors Association.

John Ensign must be thrilled to be off the front pages.

15. luminosity thread starter macrumors 65816

luminosity

I read that he took a state-funded car to the airport. Don't know anything beyond that as of yet.

16. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yeah, they've done it with Mark Foley and Larry Craig after their scandals.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2009/6/24/746355/-Did-taxpayers-fund-Sanford-affair

I bet eleventy billion dollars that taxpayers did fund it

17. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Pretty sure the Appalachian Trail comment was just misunderstood by his staff. He said he was going for some Argentinian tail. :D

18. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Good, that gives the people of SC something to nail him with to encourage him to leave.

While I am a conservative, I am more than willing to ditch the dishonest ones, and promptly. This is no different to me than the governor of New York and his hooker fetish.

Dishonest in your personal life and you have no reason to be leading people, in anything.

19. ecstasy macrumors 6502

ecstasy

Honestly, who hasn't used the whole 'family values' speech/cover-up?

:p

20. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I remember. It's a habit with them: when one of their own does something disreputable, change his party affiliation to a (D). :mad:

On the lighter side, Keith Olbermann pointed out a couple of bizarre aspects: (1) that this guy was away from his family on Father's Day; and (2) they could've come up with a better cover story than "He's off hiking," considering that Sunday was also "Naked Hiking Day".

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

There should be something done about that. I'm sick of their crap. This isn't the first time either.

22. luminosity thread starter macrumors 65816

luminosity

One thing I've learned from Republicans over the past many years is that unless someone or some people in authority are truly willing to do something, you can more or less get away with just about anything.

In this case, there's no one who can do anything about Fox's blatant misrepresentation of a person's political party.

23. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

It's a very strange story, but I have to say that at a human level I feel for the guy. I don't sympathize with his hypocrisy -- the 'family values' movement has been extraordinarily damaging over the last 30 years.

Faux news... sigh... I hope The Yes Men get to them soon.

24. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Physician, heal thyself.