Mark Zuckerberg says the world is much more divided than he ever expected

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018...ut-the-world-is-more-divided-than-he-expected

"We've been focused on making the world more open and connected," Zuckerberg said on a recent episode of the 'Freakonomics Radio' podcast. "And I always thought that that would be enough to solve a lot of problems by itself."

Zuckerberg told the show's host, Stephen Dubner, that "the world is today more divided than I would have expected for the level of openness and connection that we have today."

For the good of Facebook I think they need a new public facing CEO. Let Zuckerberg be Chairmam or something and not run day to day operations. He’s awful and is so in over his head right now it isn’t even funny. Every time he opens his mouth these days it’s s facepalm moment. Good grief.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Zuckerberg hasn’t been making the world more open. He’s got people on Facebook to only see viewpoints he already has.

3. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Oh, bull-**** Zuckerberg. The goal wasn’t ever about benevolent connections.

4. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

It must be really shocking to discover that not everyone is a limousine liberal.

5. mtneer macrumors 68030

mtneer

This guy either doesn't know what he is talking about, or thinks everyone but him is a chump. By choosing to go with algorithmic presentation, Facebook chose to sow divisions and anger in the name of "engagement". If he truly wanted to keep the world connected and informed, he would have Facebook present all viewpoints to everyone, not just whatever drove the most outrage.

6. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Dear Zuckerberg,

For god's sake read some sociology, political science and social psychology. Increased contact among opposing groups can lead to even greater hostility. If you want to bring people together to unify them, you have to do more than just force them or allow them to interact and expect everything to be magically OK.

EDIT: Oh, and for god's sake, save yourself the embarrassment and don't run for President. Ever.

7. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

This is interesting ... Be interesting to see exactly what people feel and think about this. ;)

Note: I am not a Facebook user.

8. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

What? There’s only one viewpoint on Facebook? Are u kidding?

9. ThisBougieLife, Apr 8, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2018

ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

Zuckerberg's naivete would be cute if he weren't the head of a billion-dollar company. :rolleyes:

Honestly, the brouhaha around Facebook largely evades me as even though I am a user, I almost exclusively use the site to keep track of various events and their times (be they frat parties, outings with friends or academic events and shows). I occasionally browse my friends' travel photos. That's about it. So when I hear that Facebook is controlling the world for the worse, I guess it really depends on what you put into it. And since I put almost nothing into it, I don't get much in return.

But yes, I tend to have the more cynical view that bringing people with opposing viewpoints together tends to just foster division and hatred more than any kind of understanding (though this depends on how the opposing viewpoints are presented). Most of my Facebook friends are similar to me: young, left-leaning, from a middle class-to-affluent background, it's no wonder we all get along more-or-less swimmingly. In other words, my Facebook experience has kept me in my bubble much more than it has exposed me to anything contrary to my worldview. I use PRSI for that. :D

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Conservatives only see conservative posts, liberals only see liberal posts. One viewpoint for everyone.

11. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

But isn’t that everywhere? Watch MSNBC and you’re only getting a liberal POV, Fox only Trumpism.

12. decafjava macrumors 68030

decafjava

True, very true, that's what my hope was with internet, that it would be a platform for alternative viewpoints. Instead, while that does exist the influence on mainstream society is pretty minimal and the the big players dominate anyway.

13. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

It's very easy to create an echo chamber for yourself online. It's also apparently easy to have one created for you.

14. Zenithal macrumors 604

Mark ought to stop talking and presenting himself as a blossoming politician. Crap doesn't blossom.

You can thank Reagan for that.

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Though if you watch the mainstream normal channels generally you get a bit more balance. Besides Zuckerberg is pretending to be better.

16. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Ths is the “hot” or “not hot” guy from Harvard that steals your info and abuses it while raking in billions.

Die Facebook. Just die.

17. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Coming up with (or stealing some might say) a popular website doesn’t make one a genius on all issues. We really shouldn’t listen to him as much as we are forced to unless it has to do directly with Facebook.

18. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

Every time Zuck opens his mouth it’s a facepalm. Now FB is going to create a committee of “academic experts” to study FB’s role in elections. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

19. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

What do you want to bet he also has some alternative use thoughts on the data they identify.

20. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

He needs to live in Compton or Huntington Park for a while.

(I lived in nearby Lakewood during the 1992 riots)

21. LizKat, Apr 9, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2018

LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Gawd.

EDIT: in my neck of the woods the locals say they are using social media less often... we are rubes but we are not complete idiots any more. We have seen the light and it's 19, 20, 30 laser beams tracking us through every site we visit --including sites we pay to subscribe to!-- if we don't run some form of script controlling software. One gets sick of it all after awhile. The novelty of Facebook has long since worn off and the downsides of trying to have political discourse in that medium are only too apparent.

SocialMediaUseDown?.jpg

22. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Aint that the truth. He is the WORST kind of left-winger there is. Every policy hes either for or against is exactly the opposie of how he actually lives. The classic "do as I say, not as I do" lib.

23. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

People are effectively willingly handing their information over to what is nothing more than a sophisticated trojan horse virus. It's sole purpose is to take your information, infiltrate it and then propagate it. Look at the first thing it does when you install it on your smartphone, it immediately consumes your contacts and their information unless you specifically go through convoluted settings to disconnect them afterwards. They require a separate app for messaging, which is also consumed. For many devices, standard text messaging is tracked and logged.

24. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Chuckle :D
    A rich white boy in those places? Definitely out of place.

25. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

First you have to figure out a way to suppress the partisan tribalism that's been rampant for the last 8-10yrs. The left wants to shut out every opinion other than their own, the person who leans right of center thinks the left want to destroy this country.