Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

There are a number of Markdown-based apps that are designed to facilitate simple writing and text editing on the iPad, including options like iA Writer and Byword.

Editorial, from developer Ole Zorn, is another app that falls into this category, but in addition to offering many of the features of the aforementioned text editing apps, it also includes an array of useful scripting and automation tools that speed up repetitive tasks.

editorial1.jpg
Along with multiple pre-installed workflow options and snippets to allow links, frequent phrases, dates, footnotes, and more to be inserted into text quickly, Editorial also allows users to create entirely customized workflows (this functions similarly to OS X Automator) with a fully equipped action library and support for custom actions via a Python interpreter. Snippets can also be fully edited and customized.

Editorial is not a simple app, but the interface is intuitive which means it can be picked up and used without having to read through a detailed instruction manual. It does, however, have such a manual for users who want to get the most out of the app.

editorial2.jpg
Federico Viticci of MacStories has written an extremely detailed, in-depth review of Editorial, which is worth a read for users interested in the app. It also includes a number of workflows that he crafted and included for download.
As a text editor with automation features for power users, Editorial is incredible. It has, admittedly, an initial learning curve, but that's quickly overcome thanks to the app's intuitive drag & drop interface and Automator-like UI that is well-designed and easy to use.

Even without any knowledge of Python or regular expressions, iPad users moderately interested in text automation will find great utility in Editorial's workflow actions; as I demonstrated above, Editorial provides tools to create workflows that can speed up common tasks related to text, list-making and management, web research, and sharing.

While creating complex workflows isn't necessary, it's fun to become more comfortable with the workflow system and the URL scheme to explore the possibilities of chaining apps and web services together with text.
Editorial can be downloaded from the App Store for $4.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Markdown Text Editor 'Editorial' Launches for iPad with Workflow Automation Features

yousifabdullah

Cancelled
Jul 19, 2011
Seems like a nice alternative to iA Writer (which I currently use) but with more options. I like the simplicity of the interface, may check it out later. Between iA Writer and Pages, this really seems good.

balconycollapse

Cancelled
Aug 7, 2003
I don't mind learning about new apps but are developers paying to be on the main page as advertising? I mean lately it's Layar, Baldur's Gate, Finish, WatchESPN has split screen, Notability and now this Editorial app. How are these rumors or major developments?

I realize you gotta put food on the table but nobody likes water in the ketchup.

Ent

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2009
I don't mind learning about new apps but are developers paying to be on the main page as advertising? I mean lately it's Layar, Baldur's Gate, Finish, WatchESPN has split screen, Notability and now this Editorial app. How are these rumors or major developments?

I realize you gotta put food on the table but nobody likes water in the ketchup.

100% agree

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012

The above mentioned stories are not on the front page of MacRumors, they're posted on the iOS blog. I assume you're seeing it all as one feed because you're viewing from a mobile device.

From the MacRumors guidelines: https://macrumors.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

Are news stories really advertising in disguise?
MacRumors does not post undisclosed paid stories. Promotional arrangements are always identified.

Routine stories about Mac apps, iOS apps, or commercial products, sites, or services are posted when the editors think they will be of sufficient interest. They are not posted for advertising purposes.

Most routine product reports are on the blog sites. You can choose whether to follow all stories or just those on the Front Page by clicking the tabs of interest or by using the appropriate RSS feed or Twitter feed.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
This can't be true! I was told that iPad was just a media tablet for consumption! Even the Microsoft commercials said it was missing productivity software.

/s

iMerik

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Upper Midwest
The above mentioned stories are not on the front page of MacRumors, they're posted on the iOS blog. I assume you're seeing it all as one feed because you're viewing from a mobile device.

From the MacRumors guidelines: https://macrumors.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

Are news stories really advertising in disguise?
MacRumors does not post undisclosed paid stories. Promotional arrangements are always identified.

Routine stories about Mac apps, iOS apps, or commercial products, sites, or services are posted when the editors think they will be of sufficient interest. They are not posted for advertising purposes.

Most routine product reports are on the blog sites. You can choose whether to follow all stories or just those on the Front Page by clicking the tabs of interest or by using the appropriate RSS feed or Twitter feed.
The story appears on the "Front Page" but along the side with a hyperlink making it apparent that it's from the iOS Blog. It still kind of seems like it's on the main macrumors.com page is it kind of is. I'm fine with that though... and thanks for the additional information.

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
I think that Scrivener is the finest tool for research/writing on the Mac, and that Scrivener for iOS will be the best satellite tool to integrate writing with a Mac-centric workflow. I can't wait for this product to come out this fall...

(I have no relationship with L&L; just a fanboy of Scrivener.)

Last edited:

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
Just give us TextEdit. iOS comes with no regular text editor unless you count Mail, which is kinda ridiculous.

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
This can't be true! I was told that iPad was just a media tablet for consumption! Even the Microsoft commercials said it was missing productivity software.

/s

The inclusion of Text Kit in iOS 7 (see this article) will be a critical factor in having productivity apps for iOS. Such things have always been doable, but this API makes the apps much easier and prettier.

As the article notes, existing apps with text (like Editorial) will have some extreme re-engineering to work with that new API. Also, developers will have a difficult decision whether to maintain that old code for earlier versions or cut free entirely to iOS7. Does anyone know or have an idea what Apple will do with Pages and Numbers for iOS?

I presume the "/s" is the sign for sarcasm. Yes, the MS ad is missing the boat, and there are rumors that MS has shelved a version of Word and Excel for iOS...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.