Market Mall Apple Store - Calgary, Alta, Canada

Discussion in 'iPhone Launch Meetups' started by icloud, Jul 25, 2010.

1. icloud macrumors 6502

This is a thread to discuss the iPhone 4 launch through the Market Mall Apple Store in Calgary, Alta, Canada

- Im curious to how the 'night-before' lines work. The mall presumably locks up overnight and probably opens up early in the morning.

- Is there a certain door that security personnel open first? Let people line up at before the doors open?

- Is anyone familiar with the iPhone 3GS launch through Market Mall? If your one of the people there at doors open is there enough stock?

2. iSari macrumors member

iSari

As far as I know, Apple stores didn't have them back then because it was locked to either Rogers or Fido.
    Finally, its a new era (another story) with the iPhone 4 :) because its going to be factory unlocked.

3. silentsim macrumors regular

macrumors market mall meetup :p?

save me a spot in the line...i can bring timmys!:p

4. JackIsBack macrumors newbie

Not sure if this helps... but I was there on launch day for the 3GS (but much later, about 2pm in the afternoon) and I walked away with a phone.

About the lineup... I was about the fifth person in the line when I arrived and they were taking one person in at a time because you needed to sign up for a Rogers account or update your existing Rogers account (at that time). I was purchasing my 3GS outright, so I was pissed that it took them over 1 hour to process four people (one left). There was only one staff member actually processing iPhone orders... terrible.

Also the store was EMPTY with only staff inside and they even made people that weren't getting an iPhone wait in a different "non-iPhone" line and they grabbed those customers in one at a time as well. It just didn't make sense... let all the other customers walk in... but no, they had a young security guard nab people as they tried to walk in an empty store with tons of staff just standing there.... it was just rather dumb of the management and they lost plenty of sales that day I'm sure all because of a very small iPhone line.

The iPhone 4 will be different.... BIG lines I'm sure, but again, I'm buying it outright, so I'm hoping they make it fast for people who are, hand me the box and I'll hand them my credit card.. should take two seconds, but somehow I think the management at the Market Mall store will screw it up for me and all other customers NOT buying an iPhone as well.

See you there at 8am!

5. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

Has anyone found out any more information about what time the mall doors will be opening? The Apple Store is apparently opening at 7 AM for the launch.

6. icloud thread starter macrumors 6502

I want to figure out which mall entrance will be the best to line up outside. I don't want to wait for 3 hours only for some other entrance to be unlocked first.

7. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Anyone thought about calling the mall management?

8. icloud thread starter macrumors 6502

Going to talk to them on Thursday afternoon.

9. silentsim macrumors regular

Please post if you find out about them opening a door early.

Also, I spoke to Market Mall and the dude was pretty confident they would not have unlocked units, only Carrier activations.

10. icloud thread starter macrumors 6502

You must be kidding, most people seem to be going there early precisely to get their hands on an unlocked device. If apple sells only carrier activations people will riot

11. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

Just spoke to a girl at the Market Mall Apple Store and she told me that they have no idea whether the iPhones will be unlocked or what. She said that they will only know on Friday morning.

I asked her about what is going on with the mall doors and whether they will be opened. She said that when the ipad launch the doors were open to the mall at about 4 AM.

12. icloud thread starter macrumors 6502

The 4 am doors are good to hear.

That unlocked/locked debate is bugging me. I think I'll go today and ask for a second opinion

13. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

Called the Edmonton Apple Store and the guy told me that they will be receiving the unlocked iPhones. Personally, it makes more sense that they sell the unlocked ones.

14. icloud thread starter macrumors 6502

And on the CANADIAN iPhone thread they had someone post that Market Mall will be receiving only 10 iPhone which seems a bit unrealistic.

15. icloud thread starter macrumors 6502

JUST SPOKE TO MARKET MALL, CALGARY APPLE STORE

they said:

1) Mall doors at 6:00, store opens at 7:00

2) Unlocked phones available

3) They'll be taking count of people once doors open to figure out their intended model and assign them service numbers

4) They said 'ample supply' enough to get through 1st day at least.

5) Someone bring me coffee (black, no sugar) when I'm in line and I'll buy you a unicorn.

16. bb147 macrumors newbie

hahahahha.

Thanks for the info!

I think the BEST entrance to line up at is Shoppers Drug Mart, it seems to be the most direct entrance to the apple store.

The last time I went in for the iPad through the milestones entrance and it was quite empty that part of the mall.

The only other close entrance is right beside the bay.

17. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

iCloud, have you decided on an entrance to go to yet? I'm still heading towards Entrance 4.

18. icloud thread starter macrumors 6502

Entrance 4 is where I'll be; Probably guzzling down an energy drink. See you there!! :)

Though I am a little concerned about Entrance near milestone or the Entrance near Starbucks/Sportchek being opened first.

19. DXT macrumors newbie

Entrance 4 sounds popular, I guess I'll be going to Entrance 4 as well. I'm still trying to debate on what a good time to show up is. Any suggestions?

20. icloud thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess it's a mix between reason/obsession/tolerance-for-boredom and having nothing better/work to do.

I'm still debating, I'm partially motivated by going early so I don't have to wait too long at the mall once the store opens up. But still debating like you.

Anyone have a ballpark time they're thinking of arriving?

21. bb147 macrumors newbie

Which one is Entrance 4? Is that the one by shoppers?

Thanks

22. bb147 macrumors newbie

I'm going at 5... Hope thats not too late!

23. icloud thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes. Its the one between Toy's R' Us and Shoppers Drug Mart.

24. iSari macrumors member

iSari

^ you guys rock! :D

I wanna go but I have work to do :( Hope to get a phone from Toronto's Eaton Center after 5pm < kind of impossible!

I hate that Apple doesn't have enough stores in some major cities in Ontario!

I have to drive 120km to go to Toronto! :mad:

25. DXT macrumors newbie

Why wouldn't you take the day off? That's what I did :D lol