Marketplace User Resource

amacgenius

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 3, 2005
Buffalo, NY
I call it MacRumors: Best Sellers it's a list of users whom I've dealt with here in the Marketplace and what I think of them and how the transaction went, etc.

I think it will serve as a good resource for others here in the marketplace when working out deals with other users, it's something they can check and see if the user is a good person (and if there not on the list, then they can judge for themselves).

This is merely a resource and doesn't mean who isn't on the list isn't great to deal with.

Link: MacRumors: Best Sellers

(Mods/Gods sorry this isn't a FS thread, I just felt it'd be nice to let others know.)

wnameth

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2004
Canada
thanks for the good praise, i think that is a great idea, i think we should make a sticky for people to post praise for each member they have dealt with....
thanks,

-wes

amacgenius

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 3, 2005
Buffalo, NY
I was debating setting up a form where people can submit their feedback on a user and then I'll look up the user and post the feedback on the page. I just need to find a contact form. :)

wnameth

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2004
Canada
amacgenius said:
I was debating setting up a form where people can submit their feedback on a user and then I'll look up the user and post the feedback on the page. I just need to find a contact form. :)
that would be very useful, you could always do it through your website..:)

amacgenius

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 3, 2005
Buffalo, NY
User Feedback Submissions

I've setup a form that will enable users to submit feedback about others, just follow the instructions on the form, it's emailed to me then I review it and post it on the site:

User Submission

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
amacgenius said:
I've setup a form that will enable users to submit feedback about others, just follow the instructions on the form, it's emailed to me then I review it and post it on the site:

User Submission
cool. It looks good, the only thing is that the link to the Marketplace doesn't work...it comes back with a 404 error.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
Its a good idea but ...

1) I don't know if its good to be run by a member - it may lack impartiality that I forsee.
2) I don't think you should accept feedback for yourself ... again a conflict of interest
3) I would make a note at the top that its run by a user and not official.
4) do we need this?

wnameth

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2004
Canada
won't most people think they are all feedback from you, since it is on your site? like if i leave feedback, how will they know i left it?

amacgenius

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 3, 2005
Buffalo, NY
wnameth said:
won't most people think they are all feedback from you, since it is on your site? like if i leave feedback, how will they know i left it?
I added this to the header:

"All feedback submitted by MR users"

That way people can tell it's MR users and not just me.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Personally, I don't think this is appropriate. You should remove the MR logo from the page.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
rdowns said:
You should remove the MR logo from the page.
Absolutely second that. Don't mean to be harsh but it's not a MR site and using the logo is overstepping the mark.

Don't wait for a mod or god to politely ask you.
Please do yourself a favour and remove it.

amacgenius

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 3, 2005
Buffalo, NY
MacRumors Logo removed in favor of this:

Also, gotten two submissions already, one was a duplicated and the other was added to the page.

wnameth

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2004
Canada
this has my vote to be a sticky (well the link can be inside a thread which should be a sticky)

anyone else think this should be a sticky so frequent sellers/buyers can refer to it?

thanks,

-wes

amacgenius

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 3, 2005
Buffalo, NY
wnameth said:
this has my vote to be a sticky (well the link can be inside a thread which should be a sticky)

anyone else think this should be a sticky so frequent sellers/buyers can refer to it?

thanks,

-wes
Thanks wes, this thread probably shouldn't be stickied, but rather the link. Also, I've gotten 3 submissions so far, all good words :).

(Also in a 3 hour time period the page has gotten over 230 hits.)

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
Holy crap! I'm on the list! :D

Thank you for the kind words.

MacRumors could use a little system for buyer/seller feedback.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
How are you going to validate the feedback? What if someone goes and submits a bad feedback about 20 people they've never even dealt with?

It's a good idea but I really don't see how it's humanely possible to keep up with and run as a "fair" service.

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
ITASOR said:
How are you going to validate the feedback? What if someone goes and submits a bad feedback about 20 people they've never even dealt with?

It's a good idea but I really don't see how it's humanely possible to keep up with and run as a "fair" service.
that was my only thought when you opened it up for anyone to post.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
ipacmm said:
that was my only thought when you opened it up for anyone to post.
The only way I can see it working better is if the person submits a link to the deal or something, but even that would be almost impossible to verify...

Think about it...what if I submit right now: "userx scammed me out of blah, never contacted me about anything and had just a plain crappy deal"

What can you really do? You can't choose just to accept it or not...if it's feedback, you have to leave it there, yet it may be 100% false.