Married to an Israeli? Not so fast...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by flopticalcube, Jun 5, 2010.

1. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Cairo court rules on Egyptians married to Israeli women

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/africa/10247437.stm

Nice. :rolleyes:

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

3. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

4. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

If the Egyptian men qualify (which they most likely would as they are married to an Israeli) they can get Israeli citizenship so not exactly losing out here are they :rolleyes:

Although the fact if the Israeli woman is Arab they may not take it away while if she were jew they do take it away is stupid IMO.

5. Queso macrumors G4

Oh great, more religious ******** causing problems in the world. Just what we need :rolleyes:

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

How about a Christian Arab, or a Druze, or a Samaritan? Being a Jew is not a racial distinction. Being an Arab is not a religious distinction. Discrimination on the basis of race, religion, gender or orientation is so unscientific.

7. Mac N Tosh macrumors regular

Its really quite simple really...Only Jewish women can give birth to a Jew..Only an Arab man gives the "Citizenship/Nationality (??) of his offspring...Hence, no Jews in Egypt..

8. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    I can see their rationale in this. I also happen to think it's utter filth and further evidence of the need to marginalise religion in all societies.

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

This is untrue. Karaite, Reform and Liberal Judaism do not agree, and such a simplistic statement ignores conversion.

10. Mac N Tosh macrumors regular

We weren't talking conversion....I am talking about a birth of a child from a Jewish women..Is JEWISH..PERIOD..(Just ask NAZI wanna be, here ) The argument regarding Liberal and Reform is whether they are recognized in Israel to Aliyah..(Look it up)and another subject..

Furthermore, I know you read what you want to read, but I stated quite SIMPLY......:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Regardless, if I had said black, you most certainly would have white...Must helluva view from your tower..

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

No, you asserted that "Only Jewish women can give birth to a Jew". According to Karaite, Reform and Liberal Judaism, this is not so: descent may be patrilineal as well.

12. flopticalcube thread starter macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I guess that is why they refer it to the Egyptian politicians to decide. Must be nice having a nation so fortunate that you can have you highest lawmakers spend their time working on such important matters. Perhaps they will use the tried-and-true methods of old an look at phrenology or perhaps the shape of the brides nose. Maybe they can use such valuable information to help them decide how Jewish she is. Most likely they will rely on another ancient tradition to decide the couples fate. Baksheesh, anyone?

13. Mac N Tosh macrumors regular

Which has their roots in North America...Are the topic of huge debate in Israel, if the "Law of the Return" apply to them...Again only a Jewish women can give birth to a Jew..BIRTH is the magic word here....

Orthodox Judaism, which also holds that anyone with a Jewish mother has an irrevocable Jewish status, and matrilineal descent is the norm in the Conservative movement.

The Tanakh says as you described, biblicaly that descent may be patrilineal..

"The Mishnah (Kiddushin 3:12) states that, to be a Jew, one must be either the child of a Jewish mother or a convert to Judaism, (ger tzedek, "righteous convert"). The Talmud (Kiddushin 68b) derives this law from the Torah, specifically Deuteronomy 7:3-4: "Thy daughter thou shalt not give to his son, nor shalt thou take his daughter to thy son. For they will turn away thy son from following me, that they may serve other gods." This rule was clearly accepted by the 2nd century CE, with virtually no debate over it appearing in the Talmud.[1] Orthodox opinion regards this rule as dating from receipt of the Torah at Mount Sinai, but most non-Orthodox scholars regard it as originating either at the time of Ezra (4th Century BCE) or during the period of Roman rule in the 1st-2nd centuries CE.

Again again only a Jewish women can give BIRTH to a jew.....

But again I was trying to keep it simple.. Is it possible you can look down your nose far enough to see this last line...

14. CHAOS STEP macrumors 6502

CHAOS STEP

And can tell of course that the child is born a Jew by the Star of David they have stamped on their arse.

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Unfortunately, things rarely are that simple, Jewish traditions included. The line propagated in the time of Ezra was not the line at other periods.

16. Mac N Tosh macrumors regular

No, the Nazi's would force a boy or man to pull his pants down, or push a diaper aside and it wasn't to look at his ass....Nice try...Doesn't feel so good does it...??

17. CHAOS STEP macrumors 6502

CHAOS STEP

Just because you invoke Godwin's Law, it doesn't change the fact that if a child is born to a mother who believes in Judaism, then they're simply born as a child to a mother who believes in Judaism. Nothing less, but certainly nothing more.

PS: Your Holocaust Card has now been used up for this thread.

18. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

I usually agree with you, but not here.

Discrimination is certainly immoral and should not be done. Science is actually the only area where it makes sense as some of these differences can be measured. Some scientists have been focusing on racial differences and although it can make uncomfortable conversations, this approach is not driven by racism, anti-semitism, homophobia or religious intolerance.

The other thing is that scientists get it wrong sometimes. They can be as scientific as possible and still be racists, unfortunately.

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I absolutely agree. I am unsure what you are disagreeing with.

20. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Well, at least they have all their priorities right. Now that their government has solved Egypt's all major problems, they can easily preoccupy themselves with something like this....