Mars Has the Same Temperature as Earth, so Climate Change is a Hoax

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Jul 8, 2014.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

How scary that this man is a state senator. Even scarier is we have a few dozen in Congress who likely agree with him.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/ener...ming-there-are-no-coal-mines-on-mars-20140708

2. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

3. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

I heard that the earth is heating up because the solar system is in transit across the plane of the galaxy.

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

So not only is he insane, but his facts are wrong too.

5. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

It's been my experience that becoming a state senator is a rather low bar, giving outlet to various dummies and cranks for decades.

----------

Sure, why not. Let's go for some cosmic cause rather than looking at the gigatons of CO2 we produce each year.

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

7. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

That's been my recent experience with Congress.

8. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Venus. You sell carbon credits to Venus.

9. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Yeah, but you have to get the two planets speaking in a way that they can understand each other.

10. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

US politicians continue to embarrass the country :p you guys vote them in right?

11. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Sen. Brandon Smith home district (District 30) is in the heart of Kentucky's coal country and he is quite proud of his pro-coal position. Coal companies and pro-coal groups appreciate politicians who are "friends of coal" so they are proud to contribute to Smith's political campaigns. It's the sort of a "quid pro coal" arrangement that's hard for a politician to resist.

12. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Unfortunately politicians are rarely if ever required to take competency, intelligence, or educational standards tests. We get what we elect.

----------

The celestial web causes friction with the Earth's atmosphere as we rub against it.

13. localoid, Jul 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2014

localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Listen to Sen. Smith speeches and you'll quickly see he's not the village idiot type. He simply sold his soul to the coal industry years ago. He been in a continuous state of denial since that time regarding the ill effects of coal on both people and the planet, etc. He's willing to publicly regurgitate whatever talking points his coal industry handlers might hand him, no matter how absurd they might be.

14. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

As much as I would like to say that American politicians are #1 in stupidity or corruption, as I look around the planet I fear that most places are worse. Of the large countries, in recent years Germany probably has a better track record (of electing relatively intelligent and not obviously corrupt political leaders) on the whole than the U.S. Anyplace else? I'm sure the Scandinavian countries are governed better, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, but these are all countries with relatively low populations. (And, Australia seems to have elected a virtual American politician recently.) France? Italy? The UK?

15. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

True, but the US has a huge ecological footprint, so when it adopts a policy it usually has far reaching effects on the entire planet.

[​IMG]

16. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Ah yes, the quid pro quo corruption factor.

17. localoid, Jul 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2014

localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

The pro-coal group is usually much better organized that the NRA or the religious zealots in coal country. No coal country politician in their right mind would dare to speak up against King Coal!

Pro-coal has compiled a series of educational programs and materials that are presented in the public school systems as facts of history and science. "Friends of Coal" groups sponsor everything from car shows to country music/coal love festivals. Yadda, yadda, yadda...

If you're willing to throw a little bit of money at the problem, even a dirty rock like coal can be turned into a sex symbol...

18. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Please tell me that's the song GE chose to use for the soundtrack, and not a dub over.

19. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Yep. Tennessee Ernie Ford's finger snappin' recording of "Sixteen Tons" was the tune the video used.

20. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    That's...uh...yeah, that's funny.

21. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Like Don Draper once said:

"Never, ever imply that your product or service prevents people from getting into heaven... Unless you can't think of any other way to change the conversation!"

22. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I'll be in my bunk.

23. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Does anyone even mine coal that way anymore? I got the impression it had prettymuch gone over to changing the landscape, and providing very few jobs in the process.

24. localoid, Jul 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2014

localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Underground mining? Yeah, it's still being done. But you're right, the surface operations, particularly mountaintop removal, typically produce much more coal with far fewer workers. The charts below can be used to compare employment and productivity data (in the U.S.)

In my immediate area, there are two underground mines and one surface operation. The coal from the underground mines is meteorological coal, which usually sells at a higher price, as it's more suitable for steel production. The surface mined coal usually sells at a lower price, as it's primarily used as steam coal. But this is not always the case -- this varies across the region.

cap-by-mine-type.png
    employees-by-mine-type.png
    price-coal.png

25. Andeavor macrumors 6502

Mars and Venus will never be equal.