Martin Bashir resigns from MSNBC after Sarah Palin flap

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
As much as I think she has about the same total brain power as a bowl of popcorn....suggesting she needs to have someone crap in he mouth is a little over the top.

Why the hell did they even air that? Typical MSNBC Morons.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv-movies/bashir-resigns-msnbc-palin-flap-article-1.1537613
This is what you think he suggested? How conservative of you! :p How about he was suggesting that our indebtedness has nothing to do with the realities of slavery?

From your quote article:
Bashir, who joined the network in 2010, had slammed Sarah Palin for her remarks comparing U.S. indebtedness to China to slavery and cited the diaries of a former plantation owner who punished slaves by having someone defecate in their mouth or urinate on their face.
Martin Bashir is a smart guy. I'll miss his commentary.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors 604
Oct 27, 2009
I didn't watch him much, but he sure knew a lot about foreign affairs. Much more than any other cable news personality.

BTW ... He was right. Sarah Palin should open wide.

EvilQueen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2013
In my own world
This is what you think he suggested? How conservative of you! :p How about he was suggesting that our indebtedness has nothing to do with the realities of slavery?

From your quote article:

Martin Bashir is a smart guy. I'll miss his commentary.
Scroll down more and finish reading.

"When Mrs. Palin invokes slavery, she doesn't just prove her rank ignorance. She confirms if anyone truly qualified for a dose of discipline from Thomas Thistlewood, she would be the outstanding candidate," he said in the Nov. 15 outburst.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
"When Mrs. Palin invokes slavery, she doesn't just prove her rank ignorance. She confirms if anyone truly qualified for a dose of discipline from Thomas Thistlewood, she would be the outstanding candidate," he said in the Nov. 15 outburst.
I admit it was a poor choice of words, but did he say she qualified?

EvilQueen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2013
In my own world
It's difficult to read much of anything on the Daily News page you linked to, since most of the article is grayed-out (see below), and it remains grayed-out unless the page visitor is willing to answer a "marketing question".
Hmm....install an ad blocker? I don't see anything like that.

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
As a general rule, I'd agree that it's not a good idea to suggest someone deserves to be defecated or urinated on.

Bashir needed to find a better response.

He didn't.

Now he's paying the price.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
It's difficult to read much of anything on the Daily News page you linked to, since most of the article is grayed-out (see below), and it remains grayed-out unless the page visitor is willing to answer a "marketing question".
nothing like that for me..

here it is quoted for you

Martin Bashir has resigned from MSNBC as a result of the derogatory comments he made on the air a few weeks ago about Sarah Palin.

"After making an on-air apology, I asked for permission to take some additional time out around the Thanksgiving holiday. Upon further reflection, and after meeting with the president of MSNBC, I have tendered my resignation. It is my sincere hope that all of my colleagues at this special network will be allowed to focus on the issues that matter without the distraction of myself or my ill-judged comments," he said in a statement.

Bashir, who apologized on the air a day later, was not suspended and he and the network have come under increasing pressure from Palin supporters because he was not punished.

Bashir, who joined the network in 2010, had slammed Sarah Palin for her remarks comparing U.S. indebtedness to China to slavery and cited the diaries of a former plantation owner who punished slaves by having someone defecate in their mouth or urinate on their face.

He suggested the former Alaska governor deserved the same treatment.

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
Hmm....install an ad blocker? I don't see anything like that.
Or you could simply link to a news website that isn't playing the "please answer a marketing question if you want to read our news story for free, so we can send you a special marketing cookie" game.

nothing like that for me..

here it is quoted for you
Your web browser settings re:accepting cookies from random websites is probably more permissive than my browser's settings are.

EvilQueen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2013
In my own world
Or you could simply link to a news website that isn't playing the "please answer a marketing question if you want to read our news story for free, so we can send you a special marketing cookie" game.
Sorry, it's not happening for me. Maybe you have some adware. Sorry you seem to be too lazy to Google it to get to a web page that is more acceptable for your device. I just checked the site with safari and didn't get any marketing stuff and I have no ad blocker on safari....I don't ever use it.

----------

Your web browser settings re:accepting cookies from random websites is probably more permissive than my browser's settings are.
Wait...we don't see the marketing ad and OUR computer is more permissive? :p

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
Sorry, it's not happening for me. Maybe you have some adware. Sorry you seem to be too lazy to Google it to get to a web page that is more acceptable for your device. I just checked the site with safari and didn't get any marketing stuff and I have no ad blocker on safari....I don't ever use it.

It's not adware it's the NY Daily News site.

"Daily News Reader Survey. More than 500000 survey questions have been answered by people like you to help us bring you this site. Please take a moment to answer. This message will not appear again for 30 days."

(See image, below.)

Wait...we don't see the marketing ad and OUR computer is more permissive? :p
Your browser seems to have looser permissions re: cookies/popups/etc. "Looser" is generally regarded as being more permissive, isn't it?

Attachments

Kashchei

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2002
Meat Space
I can't imagine what possessed Martin to say something so provocative on air. As much as we would would all like to ****** in Sarah Palin's mouth, this is something that should be kept to one's self. Granted, something this provocative would be acceptable on Fox News, but everyone knows there is a double standard. I'm very sorry Martin forgot that truth--he will be missed.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Wasn't Bashir the one who brought down Michael Jackson?
I thought it was terrible what he did to Michael. He was leading him on with questions when it was clear that Bashir's mind was in a more perverse place than Michael's, and Michael answered them in a way that was honest to him but had a different meaning to others. I think that may have been what started that long court trial.

TheAppleFairy

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
I thought it was terrible what he did to Michael. He was leading him on with questions when it was clear that Bashir's mind was in a more perverse place than Michael's, and Michael answered them in a way that was honest to him but had a different meaning to others. I think that may have been what started that long court trial.

I have to agree with you here, I think MJ was targeted here, and answered them without seeing the dark side of how people were going to interpret them. To this day I personally find MJ a little creepy, but I don't think he touched those children like people think he did. I think MJ was just being a playmate, because he never had a childhood himself.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I have to agree with you here, I think MJ was targeted here, and answered them without seeing the dark side of how people were going to interpret them. To this day I personally find MJ a little creepy, but I don't think he touched those children like people think he did. I think MJ was just being a playmate, because he never had a childhood himself.
So that makes it right? The dude was a creep plain and simple. Anyone would would allow their kids to have a sleep over at his house was nuts.

TheAppleFairy

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
So that makes it right? The dude was a creep plain and simple. Anyone would would allow their kids to have a sleep over at his house was nuts.
I never said it made it right, adult men shouldn't be sleeping in bed with children that's not theirs. I just said I believe he was innocently sleeping, no molesting. If anything he needed professional help. The parents that continued to send their kids to MJs house had to be looking to blackmail him for a settlement.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
It sure is popular to bash on Palin.

If any of these comments (whether from this guy or maher) were said about Ms obama, imagine the media and public outcry.

Not defending her, but it's pretty damn unfair IMO.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Scroll down more and finish reading.

NBC does a lot of stupid ****. The elephant one was much worse though, at least in my opinion. I linked an LA times article even though the headline may not be quite accurate. It was a member of the NRA. I never read elsewhere that it was sponsored by the NRA, even though the article claims it.

If any of these comments (whether from this guy or maher) were said about Ms obama, imagine the media and public outcry.

I wish it was less popular, because I wish she would lose all relevance. It brings attention to her nonsense.

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010

What's unfair?

Has Michelle Obama said something lately that she should have been bashed for but wasn't?

If so, please cite.