Martin Luther King Jr and #me too

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, May 26, 2019.

1. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

A biographer, David Garrow, reported that he has listened to the FBI surveillance tapes on Martin Luther King Jr.

Garrow claims that the tapes shows multiple MLK affairs (40) and MLK laughing as a pastor raped a woman.

The tapes are in an archive and are not due to be released until 2027 so this is just currently allegations by Garrow.

If the tapes eventually confirm Garrow's allegations, what do you think should be done (i.e. MLK statues removed, MLK name removed from schools, etc) ?

Publicly, I think that most people consider MLK one of the great people in history.

At what point in the #me too movement should a person's personal failures out-weigh the good that they did in their public persona ?

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

the #metoo movement is a joke, plenty overlook what their clowns do, look at Bill Clinton .

3. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Ah, alleged damning posthumous evidence recorded by the deceased’s enemies.

Regardless, the thing is though—about perfect heroes—is that there are none.

4. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 604

Plutonius

There does seem to be a double standard in some cases.

So do you think that if the MLK surveillance tapes show what Garrow alleges, most people would be ok with it because of MLKs civil rights efforts ?

5. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Define “ok with it.”

I think/hope his good will be valued aside from any alleged moral shortcomings. His moral failures don’t negate his civil victories—especially as they’re in different realms.

However, as a Christian and a pastor, the allegations are most egregious.

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

HOW did the man get access to the tapes ? MLK was not bad looking and was an icon of his time, women throwing themselves at him would not surprise me, the affairs would be between him & his wife, the rape allegation is troubling and as far as the "IAAPE" plenty of men and women are proud members..........
    from source
    so how did he get access?

7. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 604

Plutonius

I agree with you. I think that people should generally be remembered for the good they did.

On what circumstances do you think it's right to try to expunge a person's history by removing their statues and their names from buildings, airports, etc ?

8. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Can we also acknowledge that our admiration of MLK is a completely coopted version of history?

We celebrate his civil rights acts and leadership (rightfully so), but have essentially scrubbed from our “official” (as in, taught in school) history his vehement opposition to the American empire and the capitalist model it upholds.

9. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 604

Plutonius

That's why I said alleged allegations.

If he actually got a hold of them, I think he must of paid someone off.

DC leaks more than a boat with a screen bottom.
    --- Post Merged, May 26, 2019 ---
    I think that all history is that way where some things are remembered and some things are not.

10. Ulenspiegel, May 26, 2019
    Last edited: May 26, 2019

Ulenspiegel macrumors 68040

Ulenspiegel

+1
    Martin Luther King Jr. and #metoo on the same page...
    Two absolutely different categories.

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Judge people within their time.

Laughing at rape sounds bad though - even in the 1960s.

12. raqball, May 26, 2019
    Last edited: May 26, 2019

raqball macrumors 68000

Many on the left want to tear down statues and erase all positive acknowledgement of people based on things they did during their time period that were considered acceptable at that time...

Their reaction to these revelations, if proven true, will be interesting as what he is accused of was not considered normal nor acceptable at the time...

I think he needs to be acknowledged for his activism and bringing change but he should also be admonished for his negative actions (if true)....

I am not for tearing down his legacy, removing his name from school and roadways.. His civil rights legacy should stand regardless of what may be disgusting behavior...

13. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Care to provide some specific examples?

14. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Documents describing secret FBI recordingsallege Martin Luther King Jr. had affairs with 40 women and watched on as a pastor raped a woman in the 1960s, a new report said.

According to London's The Times, an article written by the King biographer David Garrow and set to be published in the June edition of the UK magazine Standpoint details newly released FBI memos that discuss the tapes.

The tapes — sealed until 2027 in the US National Archives — hold recordings from bugs placed in hotel rooms King used in the 1960s, when they suspected his aide Stanley Levison was a Communist.

https://www.businessinsider.com/fbi-tapes-allege-mlk-watched-rape-2019-5

The affairs were well known weren’t they? But MLK watching on as a friend raped a woman? That’s disgusting if true. Hard to know what to believe though as Hoover had it out for King from day one.

15. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Until we see the actual evidence, I'm calling BS.

16. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

Better start renaming Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.s across the country...

17. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

I thought it was well known that MLK was rather promiscuous. Obviously the allegation of rape is new to me, but if you trust the FBI’s previous reports on his sex life he seemed to be involved in what would be considered, especially at the time, rather abnormal sexual activities.

I’ll say what I say every time negative information regarding a historical figure pops up- I think it’s fair to say that no one is perfect. Despite he was likely adulterer on some level and even if he did witness his friend raping someone without intervention, it doesn’t take away from his accomplishments on civil rights for people of color. MLK is remembered for his positive accomplishments, he doesn’t get his own holiday to celebrate the mistakes he made in life.

18. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Then or now, I wouldn't write off such misdeeds. However, given the climate we live in now, and certainly the climate people of color lived in back then (and there was a time when white Europeans were treated like trash before that), it's hard to take this at face value. I've long-heard rumors of MLK Jr.'s promiscuity. This would be a new level, but again, he wasn't particularly liked by quite a large margin of people, so its hard to say what is what.