Martin Shkreli Breakfast Club Interview.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LIVEFRMNYC, Feb 5, 2016.

1. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

He's not the complete ass I thought he was, but he's still somewhat of an ass.

Is anyone buying his explanation of the massive drug price hike? Explanation at 7:42

2. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

3. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

@LIVEFRMNYC, word of advice (actually, a request).

As this is one we all can agree on, consider renaming this to be the next chapter of the "An American Dick" series. ;)

BL.

4. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

5. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Wouldn't surprise me. I take a pill that would be $500 a day without insurance.

People don't understand pricing at all when it comes to medical. It's expensive, because at the end of the day the poor are already subsidized. Obama has majorly screwed that up my forcing everyone to buy in. A box of bandaids at the drug store is about equal to a single bandaid in a hospital.

6. FieldingMellish Suspended

7. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

8. FieldingMellish Suspended

Correction ... 'Murican dick. :)

9. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

I think every vendor, be it a barista or a car dealer should jack up prices for this dude alone by 5000%. How much for a muffin? $5000 friend, would you like a napkin with that? I have some monthly payment forms over here.

10. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Tagged for later. Curious to see how Charlemagne goes in.

11. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Martin Shkreli is undoubtedly an *******. He is probably a crook. And his performance before the Congressional Committee investigating drug price increases was a textbook example of everything thats wrong with American politics.

That said; the problem with the drug he is accused of price-gouging on is more to do with the FDA and the peculiarities of the US healthcare system than corporate greed or anything else.

Daraprim is a drug used to treat toxoplasmosis - a parasitic blood disease, often spread by exposure to cysts contained in cat feces. (Thats what killed Tommy in Transpotting). In people with normal immune systems, its usually not a problem. Not so for HIV and AIDS patients. The thing is Daraprim's patent expired in the 1950s. And in in Britain; Germany; France and every other country in the world; both Government health systems and private patients pay a dollar or two per tablet. But not in the USA. Because a) Both Medicare and Medicaid are prohibited by law from negotiating prices with drug companies and b) the FDA approval process for generic drug manufacturers is unbelievably cumbersome.

Anyone owning an FDA-certified Daraprim manufacturing facility essentially owns a monopoly on a drug that is literally life-saving. And there is little incentive for other companies to come along and spend millions of dollars to get FDA-certification on a drug thats been out of patent since the Eisenhower Administration.

12. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

No, he's just a capitalist. There are many who applaud his actions. Some of them post in these parts, I'd wager...

What's really funny is if the guy, obviously an entitled lazy millennial, was doing all this as a noble act of self-sacrifice to show how wrong the system is and how he really wants single payer universal health care? Remember his spat about his duty to the stock owners (the only group of people more lazy and entitled than millennials and by a wide margin when it comes to wanting money for nothing). Now say the italicized parts with as much syrupy sarcasm as you can muster, and then wonder if the guy really was putting on a show or not.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 6, 2016 ---
    It's a shame that today's $5 coffee would cost 46 cents (or less, more likely) back in 1960...

13. vrDrew macrumors 65816

The thing is, this guy (and a fair chunk of the medical establishment, plus a host of other industries) exploit Government Regulation to make their profits. His profits have next to nothing to do with what we think of as capitalism.

The reality is; the true "free enterprise" cost of this drug is a few cents per pill. I could hop on a plane; fly to England or Brazil; and buy ten thousand Daraprim pills for a a thousand dollars or so. Bring them back here; and sell them to medical wholesalers for $1 each; or to HIV or AIDS patients for $5 per. And they'd thank me for giving them a great deal.

But of course; thanks to government regulation - you can't do that. I'd be guilty of violating all sorts of aspects of controlled substances regulations.

14. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

What he did has nothing to do with government regulation. His motivation was purely selfish.

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Warms my heart how united America is in its hatred of this slime.

16. Renzatic, Feb 6, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2016

Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I beg to differ. He may very well be the biggest douche humanity has yet produced.

17. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

You mean when he was laughing at the psycho libs who criticized him for being a capitalist?
    --- Post Merged, Feb 6, 2016 ---
    He's slime, but I'm done with people trying to destroy people because they don't agree with something someone did.

18. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

Then move on. It's vital that this type of activity gets publicised as much as possible. Then can people decide what they believe is wrong. This guy abused his position and quite rightly is being called out for it by the government and by the public. The people will now also be more aware of how fragile the capitalist system is when it relates to basic needs such as health. Two wrongs being called out. If you don't like reading about it, move along.

19. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Let me know the next time you do something I don't agree with. I'll slap your picture up everywhere and destroy your livelyhood just because.

20. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

Have a read of the last five words of your post and tell me if you think it applies to what Martin Shkreli has done?

21. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

There is quite a difference between just doing something controversial and exploiting a loophole at the cost of the general public (even more if it might turn up life-threathening for people who don't have sufficient coverage).

22. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

It's not about whether it happened, it's about the fact that people believe these days they have a right to destroy people they don't agree with. How incredibly screwed up are we as a society where we believe it is okay to destroy people we don't agree with?

In all the moral outrage over the price to insurance companies, did you not notice that people that don't have the ability to pay actually get it for free?

23. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

Does it apply or not?

24. samiwas macrumors 65816

We're not talking about selling an iPhone for $2,000 or double-charging for an ice cream cone. We're talking about taking an existing affordable life-saving medication, buying the rights to it, then pricing it out of reach of most people who need it.

That's purely despicable. That's not "just capitalism". Life-saving medication is not a standard market. This guy is beyond "slime" and I wouldn't shed a tear if someone cut off his balls and sewed his mouth shut around them.

If your "livelihood" is based around scamming insurance companies and putting people's lives on the line for money, then **** you...I couldn't care less about destroying it. Go find something else to do.