Maryland Legislature Approves Statewide, Freeway Speed Cameras

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by quagmire, Apr 13, 2009.

1. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/27/2744.asp

They could raise the speed limit to a more reasonable 70 MPH at least...... This just looks like they are just wanting more money.

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I've got no problem with this if it's being done for valid scientific reasons (ie. it has been empirically shown that this is the most economical way to deter speeders. I do have a problem with this if it's being done because it's an easy way for the state to make money in tough economic times.

3. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

A [_]
    B [√]

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

It is a money grab just like all traffic tickets. They may say it is for public safety but that is just a perk from making money. Make money first protect later.

5. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I've always thought the biggest weakness of camera-based speed traps were the lack of human discretion.

As noted above, there will be tickets issued for those going 57+ in a 55 zone. It is doubtful that any real patrolman would pull someone over going under 60.

There is also the realistic speed-of-traffic issue, in that if the general speed of traffic on the highway is at or just past the limit, then getting a ticket would be just a matter of luck, as multiple cars at any given time would be guilty of infraction.

There is also the destruction of flow, as many motorists quickly slow down and brake at highway speeds - indeed this is one of the reasons for traffic jam formation.

Residentially, I have less of a problem with this, although I've always had issue with school zone speeds being upheld when school is not in session. I have a school zone I pass through on my way to work with a radar speed sign (no police camera) and I usually go through with other cars at about 3 mph over the posted limit - is that really bad?

I wonder if the state doesn't want to advertise more lax criteria for enforcement, so as not to imply advocacy of speeding. Again, individual officers are allowed to use discretion, so you never know the bar exactly.

If you haven't guessed by now - I don't really like this idea. I'm not sure Maryland voters will either.

6. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Speed cameras on major highways seem to just create bottlenecks where all of the people from the area who know where the camera is slow down to drive by it.

7. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

Well if it's deterring speeders then that's probably enough reason. Just be glad you don't live in CA, where a typical toll road could cost up to $11 per trip.

8. iGary Guest

iGary

This happens quite a bit in DC where the speed cameras are everywhere.

That said, I welcome the cameras and hope they slow people down a bit.

9. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Same in MoCo. Problem is that people speed until they approach the cameras, then slow down, then speed back up. And when they "discover" a camera, their braking can be dangerous and sudden.

There is the balance, but I would prefer that cameras be restricted to school zones and heavy pedestrian areas. And I'd prefer stoplights or signs - 25 or 30 is still fast enough to kill a person. The camera on Randolph, for example, is a mess because you will often have three lanes of drivers dropping from 50 to 30 in a matter of seconds when they suddenly see the camera - I don't think there is a crosswalk there (but I could be wrong).

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Speed cameras are like a cancer on British roads, they're quite simply everywhere.

Stupid roads, with stupid speed limits and stupid cameras that everyone slams their brakes on to avoid. Hmmm, wonder where the danger comes in there?

S***! Camera! BRAKE!
    Pile-up!

11. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Thats wrong, and should be challenged by the first person to get a ticket that way.
    In certain states (like Massachusetts), work zone limits apply when there's equipment or barriers in place. The presence of workers isn't the determining factor.

12. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

And how long before people who aren't even in the car start getting tickets because the car is registered to them?

This is already happening with the red light cameras, so I'm curious to see how it plays out.

13. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Due to plates' reflective nature, I wonder if there is a way you could rig a light to shine off the plate (run off the car's power) that would make the camera turn up nothing but glare? That would be hilarious :D

14. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

I remember a time when they put a speed camera on a local highway 'round these parts and set it for the speed limit. They almost burnt out the camera it was taking pictures so fast. They ended up having to raise the radar limit to 10 over the speed limit in order to prevent damage to the camera, and shortly thereafter they raised the limit on the highway. Ironically, this had the effect of lowering the average speed of traffic on the road. The limit had been set so low that people just blew it off. With the limit set closer to where it needed to be more people were willing to follow it.

15. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Im not so much against people who speed a bit as long as they are courteous to the other drivers and follow safe procedures when it comes to switching lanes, staying in the fast lane etc...

Its those a-holes who dart in and out of traffic that are a real danger...

16. szark macrumors 68030

szark

The main reason I hate these cameras (other than the greed) are the blinding flashes when you're driving at night and someone in another lane sets off the camera.

You don't need anything so complicated. There are transparent license plate covers which place a filter over the numbers so that they are only viewable by looking straight at them. The angled speed cameras are outside of the viewing angle. Of course, those may be illegal in some states.

17. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Yes, they are illegal in many states. My idea isn't (yet) :D

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah, but how many toll roads are there in CA? I've paid tolls at the occasional bridge, but I've never driven on a toll road here. And I've done a lot of driving.

Do you have a link for this statistic?

LOL... any state that uses speed cameras.

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Frankly, I support any measures that get people to stick to the actual speed limit. I do not give a damn if "everyone does it" (speeding).

20. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Moving violations should not be used as major revenue streams.
    So, in effect, they bribed people. Wonderful.
    I DON'T ****ING THINK SO. They have NO incentive to be fair.
    I support measures to bring about sensible speed limits. The 85th percentile speed is what it should be. I also support minimum speeds on freeways, and variable limits that change with road conditions (rain, fog, traffic, etc.).

21. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

You get this in the US as well when cops leave empty cop cars on the edge of the highway with just enough car showing that people startle. :rolleyes:

22. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Thanks a lot MD. Really appreciate it :rolleyes:

Don't we have better things to tackle?

23. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Sure do. And now they'll have plenty of cash to do it :).

24. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

I hate the fact that you're right.

25. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

It doesn't happen very often so I'll commit this occasion to memory TDD :)!