Maryland Sen. pleads guilty to corruption

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by nbs2, Jul 20, 2007.

1. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Folks in Louisiana shouldn't feel bad - a former Maryland State Senator pled guilty to corruption charges and his wife is going down too. So much for being a man of the people...

2. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Are you trying to ruin season five of The Wire for me...? :confused:

3. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

It's nice to see another politician abusing their power go down. I just hope he and his wife are treated as harshly as any ordinary citizen would be and there's none of this unfair leniency.

This is exactly why there needs to be checks and balances and transparency in politics. As an old customer once told me at work "if you let anyone play with honey long enough sooner or later they'll get sticky fingers".

4. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

If they're guilty, they should be nailed.

And I say that not knowing whether the person's name has a (D) or an (R) after it, because corruption is corruption.

5. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Well the fact that the person has a (D) after their name is a testiment to why this thread only has 4 posts. :) But youre right, corruption is corruption.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

In a way you're right. I don't think too many of us here would waste our time defending the indefensible, unlike a few other people here. ;)

7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Ahem:

Scandal-plagued Jefferson kept off Ways and Means

Rep. William Jefferson appointed to Homeland Security Committee

Most innocent people don't keep $90,000 in the freezer

Louisiana congressman indicted in bribery probe

I tried to find other corrupt Democrats we've talked about, but I couldn't come up with any offhand; y'all Republicans have just got us massively outnumbered.

Sorry, I can't even give you a "nice try" for this one. Accusing us of a bias towards corrupt Dems is just lame.

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Jeez man, I not accusing you of that!

But I'm guessing with posts like this:

I'm guessing someone who writes this is willing to give the benefit of a doubt to a democrat 100 to 1 per republican.

But hey, dude. I'm not trying to get into your **** about this. for real. I actually don't care. :) ;):D

9. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Oh, bull****. Did I give the benefit of the doubt to Jefferson? It has nothing to do with party affiliation or giving anyone the benefit of the doubt, and everything to do with who's doing the crime. And I can't help it if the Dems aren't breaking the law at the same pace as the Republicans.

10. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

I never defended Vitter or any of the others.

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

You defend "others" all the time.