Mascots and flags and erasing history.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mcdj, Nov 28, 2015.

1. mcdj, Nov 28, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2015

mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Is it just me, or is this new wave of ultra PC thinking going to backfire?

I just read that Amherst students want to change their mascot, because the current one is some dude who supported germ warfare against Native Americans.

Yet no one is suggesting the US change its flag, which surely caused major fear and trauma on sight for Native Americans being chased by the flag wielding US Calvary.

And what about the Confederate flag? Is banning a flag going to change the minds of the people who formerly flew it? And if someone is a total racist idiot, wouldn't you rather know up front?

If I'm a black man in the Deep South and I see a bar with a Confederate flag over the door, I might pass it by. If that bar is forced to hide the flag, then I might walk in...

The solution to hatred isn't erasing or hiding history. It's shaming it through education. The problems in the US aren't the symbols of hatred, it's the stupid people who hate, and teach it to their kids. Banning a flag or a mascot isn't going to stop these people from hating or passing hate down to the next generation...it's just going to make hate harder to spot.

If you shame the past and prove its stupidity via education, then after a few generations, the only people still flying racist flags will be the obviously uneducated. If you make everyone hide the symbols before the education is complete, you're making the education process that much harder and more prone to failure.

The people who think you can fix things by burying the problems are historically wrong.

2. mcdj thread starter macrumors 604

mcdj

3. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

As the saying goes, it all begins at the top.

BHO's points of reference in our society are Anti-American, Anti-Business, Anti All Good Positive Characteristics of this once Great Nation.

Completely enthralled with the teachings and years of worship under the turbulent hate filled influence of Pastor Jeremiah Alvesta Wright, Jr. BO had Wright baptize his babies. This after having Jeremiah preside over the wedding to Michelle.

Spewing acerbic venom at nearly everyone outside his church of exclusion, Rev Wrights hatred branded BHO... inspiring the young easily influenced, ultra vulnerable person in a wide variety of ways.

The negative impact on BHO and its direct influence in the current destruction of symbols of American historical milestones and more, is proof positive of how easily Hussein caves under pressure and morphs into his default position as a subservient fear based reactor

It's obvious he doesn't give a rats ass about what matters to us.

4. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

To be fair this flag wasn't around then.

[​IMG]

Also every generation and every few yrs there is always someone wanting to change something they are offended by. At a minimum reaction to X and asking for change can be found all the way back to the 60s at the very least. And when some group proposes some change, there is always another group of people who think it's stupid and thinks the other group or current time has gone to far in some manner. Even still those you pointed out will one day look down on a younger generation who are proposing some change they are offended by and say that's dumb.

5. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

So brave as long as those 18 year olds aren't your children or yourselves.

6. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Have you seen Amherst's mascot?
    [​IMG]

"Lord Jeff" is a somewhat foppish eighteenth century British military officer. I'd want to change him too - but for reasons that have little or nothing to do with politics.

7. FieldingMellish Suspended

Give me America, warts and all. Leave the remaking to the house and garden channel.

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I have a DD214. My daughter deal with bullies all by herself so...

10. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

What's DD214? I was referring to the military part of your post.

Don't get me wrong, as an early 20s person myself I think all this "safe place" stuff is ******** and quite frankly none of friends mention this crap. A few like being more PC...I don't care either way. But no one I know or people they know mention this safe place stuff and I feel like it's getting over blown on the Internet.

More to the point however, I dislike the comparisons to the military some people make (such as in your post). Anyway, It's cool your daughter stands up to bullies. Only way to get them to stop.

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

What do you mean by "backfire"? Some appeals to PC work, some don't.

But backfire? No I don't expect society to become more uncaring, coarse and uncouth. I certainly hope not.

Actually, no. I'd rather that person just share that unsavory and ugly side with close and sympathetic friends.

12. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I'll let your smart phone guide you to the DD214 :D
    I was pissed she was being bullied for being a Mexican nerd , his DARE she be on the honor roll oh and her looks were just awful , in the end she learned to ignore the twits , deleted Facebook on her own and has been pretty happy since

13. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I would agree that there is a serious issue here. I think it merits a serious discussion.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/...tinues-after-yoga-class-controversy-1.3339549

Count me as a cultural appropriation enthusiast. I love the fact that white anglo-saxon Americans appropriate yoga, tacos, and words from people of color in every corner of Mother Earth. ICE should hand out a leaflet on every flight in, in 3500 living and dead languages, stating "Prepare to be assimilated!"

On the other hand, I see no reason to celebrate Field Marshall Jeffery Amherst, a slightly watered down version of the villain Columbus. Any student of American history would know that Amherst's clumsy genocide was far less effective than Sir William Johnson's real-estate swindling. ;)

(This is why I couldn't restrain myself.) The flag-wavers are (well, mostly were) waving the so-called Confederate Battle Flag, reintroduced in 1948 by the Dixiecrats and popularized during the Civil Rights era by blatant racists. It was never the "national" flag of the Confederacy. It was the flag of the anti-civil-rights racists of the era. As such, it is distinguished from the merely historical. And, yes, as a matter of fact, I did live in the South part of the time during that era, and, I can attest to the fact that no adult with an IQ over 70 was waving that flag at that time purely for "history". Everyone knew exactly what it meant.

In contrast to "Amherst" symbols. I doubt if 1% of drunk sports fans with Amherst dolls know much about Amherst.

I'm not so sure. Mascots are a funny case. Are they celebrating heritage, mocking, or something else? You'll have to ask the Fighting Irish about these ambiguities. But, I can see that lots of people might indeed want to change the name of a place named to honor Amherst.

14. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

just searched dd214..well props to you/your daughter for walking the walk. most people don't do that.

that sucks about the bullying. ive never really been bullied so i can't truly empathize with someone who has experienced it. unfortunately people who focus on intellectual pursuits will get "put down" since the US seems to be one of the few developed nations where intelligence is openly mocked/shown disdain for by the general public.

15. Eraserhead, Nov 29, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2015

Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Would you consider Stalin to be an appropriate mascot figure?

Because the US flag stands for good too.

The flag isn't banned, that would be unconstitutional, it just isn't being flown over government buildings anymore.

And if the Confederate flag flies over government buildings you aren't shaming it, you are promoting it.

Thank god Hitler was defeated so young men don't have to be sent to war in such large numbers.

16. hulugu, Nov 29, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2015

hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

The average age of a U.S. solider in WWII was 26.

The people who programmed this particular chatbot should really be proud of themselves. It's an interesting bit of AI using the kind of rambling, incoherent arguments from a conservative Facebook post. It seems almost human at times, but of course, we know that real people understand context and don't just ramble about the same thing again and again.

17. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Speaking of rambling, why you'd launch into the typical Apple users rant based on a clueless assumption about Facebook is revealing.

Since I've never used Facebook, it's impossible to see what you're going on and on about.

It's irrelevant anyway. You've acted the narcissist, judged when empty handed and failed to post a counterpoint. A normal smoke and mirrors approach here.

18. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

The engineers working on Siri and Cortana should take a look at this algorithm.

19. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Exactly, the government shouldn't be promoting it, but it's a great tool for identifying racists as they are the only ones who fly it.

20. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Because the horrors of WWII are so much worse than peaceful civilisation? Funny, I have never heard a WWII vet talk about WWII as preferable to peace, or that it was good for them to be confronted with death so young in their lives. As one Japanese solider put it so well, 'The hatred I saw made me ashamed to be a human being'.

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

22. chown33 macrumors 604

These days, at least a Core i7.

23. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Dork? Comeon.

A real dork would know that an Ultra PC requires at least dual hexa-core Xeons to even begin to classify as such.