Masked gunmen attack Copenhagen cafe hosting Swedish cartoonist

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Feb 14, 2015.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Let's see who turns out to be responsible, although I'd expect it to the Danish muslim community at some level.

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'm betting it's a man.

Males have just been out of control lately.

Somebody should do something about that.

4. viorelgn macrumors 6502

viorelgn

This is what happens whenever you are willfully blind to the fact that not all of the people in the world believe in freedom like the West. The child like naivety of so many endanger us all, it is time for us to face the facts that this is a conflict that is not going to go away, but must be resolved in some concrete way.

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

You mention naïveté, but I think it's naive to believe such a conflict can be concretely resolved.

Could you describe how you'd resolve it, and prove my assessment wrong?

6. Technarchy, Feb 14, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2015

Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Withholding my opinion till more information is released.

Though these attacks on one of the most basic of human rights need to addressed politically and culturally. Militarily if push comes to shove.

7. Meister Suspended

Meister

There should be a sticky on this forum where we can all post our illustrations of Mohammed. :cool:

[​IMG]

8. Jesla macrumors 6502

Jesla

Assuming that at least a few of the security team had firearms, My question is, are
    Danish Police allowed to carry firearms? And was there any return fire?

9. Anitramane macrumors 6502

Coming up next, the video of Meisters beheading 2015

10. Meister Suspended

Meister

Bring it on!

[​IMG]

11. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

12. cyb3rdud3 macrumors 6502a

It is weird how absolutely nothing is being released regarding the shooters background or motivation....

Sad that those discussing free speech are not only attacked but have been threatened so often that they had to have their own security as it is...

13. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Unfortunately while the world rallies around free speech and against intolerant fundamentalists, I wonder about the effect on political cartoonists, as in they will leave Mohammad alone for self preservation. My belief is that in the land of the intolerant these attacks will be viewed as successes.

14. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Wasn't there also attack on a synagogue in Copenhagen as well?

Edit: yep, shoulda read the link first

15. kds1 Suspended

kds1

Ah, those wacky Muslims...

Islam, what a religion!

----------

Agreed

16. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

What would you suggest? Castration? It seems to calm down male dogs and keep them from roaming and causing trouble.

17. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Although I don't agree with citizen's comment, the meaning of it seems to have went right over your head.

18. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

No I get what he was trying to say... I was just offering a solution to the literal meaning of his post.

19. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'm so glad you asked.

Both Muslims and males are large populations out of which a relatively few (to the whole population) bad actors emerge. I'm going to suggest we treat each of those populations the same way, We shouldn't retaliate against the Muslim population anymore than we should retaliate on the male population.

In fact, despite the constant years of criminality and terror imposed on the world by males, we've developed a fair and just way to deal with them. We do it individually, on a case by case basis. This is an excellent model for how we should treat Muslim terrorists, and the whole Muslim population. It's the best way to combat criminality and terror when it occurs, while honoring those who live their lives intelligently and peacefully as contributing members of society.

What part don't you agree with?

20. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Islam is a cancerous set of ideological beliefs, Islam is a choice. Being male is biological, therefore not a choice. The former can be dealt with (how, I don't know), the latter cannot.

21. citizenzen macrumors 65816

It would seem you are saying that males are compelled to commit violence.

Isn't the act of violence also a choice?

Are you male? How many violent crimes have you committed?

22. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Muslims are individuals and deserve to be treated as such - and like any segment of the population the default treatment should be fraternity, support, kindness, justice, inclusiveness, non-violence etc.

But just because we should be committed to being nice to muslims, that shouldn't stop us from calling BS on any illiberal, totalitarian, fascist, violent political philosophy that a good selection of that population choose to follow.

Our own stupidity and short term interests have led us to prop up the Saudi theocracy and its violent dogmatic 'purist' readings of Islam over decades - and the result of this is that this arrogant and intolerant Wahhabi 'strain' now has a great following throughout the Muslim nations and their diaspora. Wahhabiism is to Islam what the inquisition was to Christianity - and we've allowed it to spread.

So, what to do?

• We must treat individual Muslims with the same respect, kindness, support, fraternity as any other member of society
    • But we must be clear that Islam, especially in it's orthodox and regressive Wahhabi form, is incompatible with our values of civil rights and free speech
    • We cannot 'fix' our Western Muslim populations from outside, as this would lead to resentment and entrenchment
    • We therefore have to challenge Muslim moderates to fix their own society
    • So individual Muslims are simultaniously not the problem, but they are the only solution so must be challenged to 'step up'

I'll leave with a recent quote from Abdel Fattah al-Sisi (the president of Egypt). He took it upon himself to plead for a fresh direction for Islamic thought in a speech to clerics at the Al-Azhar University:

"It’s inconceivable that the thinking that we hold most sacred should cause the entire umma (multinational community of Muslim believers) to be a source of anxiety, danger, killing and destruction for the rest of the world," Sisi said.

"That thinking – I am not saying ‘religion’ but ‘thinking’ – that corpus of texts and ideas that we have sacralized over the years, to the point that departing from them has become almost impossible, is antagonizing the entire world. It’s antagonizing the entire world!

Is it possible that 1.6 billion [Muslims] should want to kill the rest of the world’s inhabitants – that is 7 billion – so that they themselves may live? Impossible!…

“I say and repeat again that we are in need of a religious revolution. You, imams, are responsible before Allah. The entire world, I say it again, the entire world is waiting for your next move…because this umma is being torn, it is being destroyed, it is being lost – and it is being lost by our own hands"

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/189700#.VODITMamCZY

23. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Allowed it to spread?

What should we have done instead?

24. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

They're certainly more statistically likely.

25. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Not propped up the Saudi regime.

Not allowed Saudi funding of Western mosques and schools (Saudi's don't allow any Christian missionary activity in their country, so we wouldn't be behaving 'unfairly')

Not removed Saddam and created a power vacuum.