Mass Shooting at The Dark Knight Rises premiere in Colorado

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Heilage, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

http://news.sky.com/story/962756/ten-shot-dead-at-batman-film-premiere

2. Queso macrumors G4

BBC is only reporting one gunman. Two now?

Pretty shocking.

3. Heilage thread starter macrumors 68030

Heilage

I think there's a lot of confusion about, we probably won't know the proper details for many hours still.

4. Queso macrumors G4

Death toll might be creeping up too. Some reports now saying 14 dead :(

5. phyzics101 macrumors regular

phyzics101

I work at the mall in the same parking lot. I was going to walk over and see the movie but decided to go home.

6. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Horrible news. The news seems a bit mixed at the moment, 1 shooter or 2, 1 may have been arrested. I also heard a baby was among those shot - but surely that seems unlikely given it was at a cinema?

7. Queso macrumors G4

Don't dwell too much on that. You weren't there, that's all.

Sorry if that comes across as harsh, but sometimes we get guilt complexes when we just miss stuff like this. Best put your near-involvement out of your head for the moment.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

And at midnight.

WTF is wrong with people today? No incidents when I saw it last night. Your typical douchey teenagers who scream at the screen in when something doesn't go as planned but nothing to shoot anyone over.

I truly feel for those hurt in all of this.

9. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Yes, it does sound harsh, And somewhat narcissistically heartless.

Having feelings of sadness and compassion for the tragic events that befall others demonstrates a capacity for empathy, and a sense of weltschmertz (sp?) which, apparently, strikes you as ill placed. It has nothing to do with a "guilt complex" (whatever that is supposed to be)... it demonstrates a capacity to feel for things that happen to other than oneself.

10. Queso macrumors G4

Not what I mean at all by my post. It's better to concentrate on the events that did occur and those who were actually involved rather than dwell too much on what-if scenarios.

11. eric/ Guest

eric/

This is pretty sad. I really can't understand why people suck so bad.

12. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Sorry, apparently I misunderstood the intent of your post.:eek:

Mea Culpa...:eek::)

13. Queso macrumors G4

No worries. I could have been a lot clearer in how I wrote it.

14. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

This is just horrifying. I mean, this guy may be totally nuts, but he thought this thing out. A theater is a relatively small, tightly packed venue. He waited for the premiere to make sure the place was full, and then he used smoke or what some people are calling tear gas to make sure people were hampered from fleeing. Obviously he was trying to maximize the casualties, and those poor people were sitting ducks. :(

God. Words just fail at describing the emotions one feels about something like this.

15. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I got my money on a returning Army veteran with PTSD.

Really a terrible scenario, there is a military base near where that happened.

16. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Dude, pull the trigger on yourself if you have to, but leave everyone else out of your sick plan

Thoughts and prayers for the victims and families

17. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

It also looks like his car had Tennessee plates from what I can see. I wonder if he really was in the Army. Maybe he recently moved from Fort Campbell to Fort Carson recently.

18. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Obviously speculative on my part, but I doubt if the premiere or film itself has any relevance to the motive. Likely someone disturbed/desperate/frustrated with their life and needed to lash out, and if you're going to do that you'd probably want to do it as publicly as possible. A cinema packed for a big film premiere is a good way to do that.

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

20. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

It usually is the case that they kill themselves or are killed by police. I for one am angered by his actions, but I am curious of what was going through his mind that made him kill random innocent civilians. I can't understand what makes a person want to kill another others who are not a threat to you. Especially kids or people just trying to see a movie.

21. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

This is horrific. I was appalled when I heard it this morning. It may sound rash but this makes me want to take lessons and get my concealed carry permit.

22. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I am certainly not against gun ownership at all - but what good would that have done? If you were in that theater carrying a gun, would you have stood up and shot the guy?

The debate about gun control - most especially assault rifles like the one used in this shooting - will rage on I'm sure.

23. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

You wouldn't want to use your gun anyway in that situation even if you had a concealed permit. Tear gas and innocent people scrambling to escape the theater wouldn't give you a safe clear shot. The risk of shooting an innocent person while trying to shoot the shooter would be too high, IMHO.

24. Happybunny macrumors 68000

As a gun owner myself, this does not make me feel safer. :(

This would only increase the number of shooters. Many shooters high adrenaline various states of training, would just make the matter worse.:(

25. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

If you are responsible, it's not a bad idea. Though some of the comments so far are reasonable it doesn't hurt to have it in case you do need it.

Yeah most likely you wouldn't have had a clear shot, but what if you were to walk in on him. If you were out getting popcorn or going to the bathroom, you could have had a clear shot. The more responsible people that are carrying the greater the chance there will be someone with a clear shot to take him out.

I don't think I would even try to carry in a mall or movie theater though. Not in NY at least. It's a 1 in a million shot, but it's something to consider.