Mass Shootings: How to Prevent Them. (Because they are getting worse)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vrDrew, Oct 7, 2015.

1. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Very interesting article in Mother Jones about how high schools; colleges; and other institutions are partnering with cops and other social service providers to form "threat assessment teams" to identify - and hopefully prevent - possible mass shooters.

The article is a longish (~20 minute) read. But it provides at least a ray of hope for a problem that is definitely getting worse in this country.
    [​IMG]

From a purely civil liberties perspective, I'm not sure quite how I feel about the police, school administrators, etc. confronting people who - technically, at least - have not committed any crime. But, on balance, I'd have to say this sort of program seems like a far better use of law enforcement resources than a lot of the other boondoggles we waste police time and money on.

These Threat Assessment Teams are not perfect: The individual described above (Ayala) fell off the radar when he moved to another city:

Considering the tens of billions we spend fighting Islamic Terrorism (a problem that statistically doesn't exist in the US) - I wish we were doing more to combat the problem of Mass Shootings.

2. chabig macrumors 68040

I missed the part where it was "proved" that mass murders are getting worse. Unless we are willing to let the government take away every citizen's rights, we have to accept that individuals are responsible for their own behavior--both good and bad. There is no way whatsoever (without loss of liberty) that anyone can preemptively control/prevent an individual from doing something.

3. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

We are spending tens of billions fighting Islamic terrorism inside the United States? That number seems exceptionally high.

4. Happybunny macrumors 68000

IMO the majority of the American public really doesn’t care about school/workplace shootings, or any other type of shootings for that matter, unless they make a Hollywood movie about it.

Because if they really did, they would have done something about them YEARS ago.

5. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

The majority knows that no new laws (e.g. mag bans, universal checks/registration, etc) will do jack **** to prevent these tragedies which always occur in gun free zones.

[​IMG]

FWIW, I don't think we need to arm teachers and have everyone on attention all day in case a random shooter arrives. Just doing the little things may help..having cops patrol a bit more often or just put up signs that say armed security and they will probably deter someone armed.

Criminals are crazy, but they're not always stupid.

We need SSRI control more than gun control.

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Joy. Another member posting huge, inaccurate pro-gun propaganda. Personally, I think one is enough, but I guess there's always room for more.

Here's what's wrong with your propaganda ...

It uses a societal form of "we" which in the case of the president, congress, courts or governors I can accept—even though it's a ridiculous over-simplification.

But "we" don't protect office buildings, factories, banks, jewelry stores or celebrities. "They" hire security if they see fit. Or "they" avail themselves to the police—which is exactly the same things schools do. And then you even say that very same thing below your simplistic, incorrect graphic.

You don't even agree with yourself.

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

OUR society/culture is broken in many ways, we have teens using media to coordinate attacks , worthless fecal matter that steal oxygen & plans on school shootings, not one or 2 crazy SOB's but up to 4 POS mother F'ers at a time. generations of kids pumped up on Ritalin & Aderall just to name a few drugs because OMG, they had ADD/ADHA or some other form of invented mental disease & must be pumped up full of drugs because that is so much easier than mom or dad spending time with their kids & helping them out, kids don't understand school? screw it, give him some legal amphetamines & watch him rise, every time there are test at school the sales of aderall surge 3-5 per pill and you can get as much as you like, it is the "limitless" pill, the "Lucy" pill & stupid kids under stress don't know any better. mom works,dad works & playstation with grand theft auto is watching your kids while they are high on legal amphetamines , we have a stupid worthless POS jerry springer society that loves/craves instant gratification through social media, stupidity is glorified here in the U.S, the crapdashians/miley cyrus & lady caca are mother ***** role models , world star hip hop allows you to be internet famous, just video your crime & upload it "put them in a coffin".

males/females with nothing better to do than crime in hopes of being the next crapdashian/teen mom/slut or thug of the week.

you guys want more laws because you suffer from the same instant gratification syndrome when our problems happen to be much deeper.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1219289/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucy_(2014_film)
    http://www.drugs.com/adderall.html
    Jerry Brown had good points .
    it is not just our criminal system that needs reform, so does our educational one, so does parenting , American culture needs to pull it's head out of its freaking rear end, there is little to no compassion/empathy towards others, lets pull out our f' ing phones & record someone being robbed/beat/rapped so that WE can break the news & have views on our channel.

a deep look at our actual problems will help before we simply decide to create new stupid laws that turn everyone into a criminal & places them on a system that screws them for life w/o a shot at redemption.

JuanC.

8. steve knight, Oct 7, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2015

steve knight Suspended

steve knight

right because if everyone had guns everywhere no one would ever get shot. except of course all the people who get shot in homes with guns of course. We all know these people would never shoot anyone if they had to fear for their lives (none of them ever plan on suicide of course) The more guns less problems argument has been proven so wrong it is amazing. of course there were no shootings back in the old days where everyone carried guns too of course.
    Then of course the idea that if you own a gun you will be able to be annie oakley, rambo and and robocop and not shoot yourself or others accidentally.
    I mean since there are as many guns as people in the US it's not enough would 10 guns per person do it? How many guns will stop innocent people from getting shot by guns?
    Lets not forget people were allowed to be armed on that campus. so that just shot down this stupid argument in it's tracks.

9. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Well lets require all gun owners to go through the same training and background checks as you need to work for the secret service or Capitol Police. Somehow I don't see that going over well with the NRA...

10. APlotdevice, Oct 7, 2015

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

That chart pretty clearly shows an increased rate of events in the last few years.

This is not just individuals. It is a cultural event. We as a society have figured out that we can make a name for ourselves through infamy. The worse thing you do, the more your name gets repeated in the 24/7 news cycle.

11. vrDrew thread starter macrumors 65816

Did you even bother to read the article?

I don't think you did. Because it doesn't really mention gun control at all. It doesn't even discuss news laws or regulations in relations to mass shootings. It discusses various strategies a number of schools, universities, and various local police departments employ to identify and dissuade potential mass shooters.

Please do us a favor, and don't bother posting again until you've read the article.

12. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

I was responding to the post before mine. I am not going to read leftist, emotionally-driven trash from outlets like mother jones.

If gun free zones want to dissuade mass shooters they can start advertising that they have armed security, period.

13. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Yes, you'd rather read rightist, emotionally-driven trash.

The latest massacre wasn't in a gun-free zone.

14. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

From 2012:

http://www.oregonlive.com/education/index.ssf/2012/03/oregon_state_board_of_higher_e_7.html

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

My university is a gun free zone, but they also have campus police. While we don't "advertise" that fact, they aren't hard to find around campus. You can easily pick them out by their uniforms and squad cars.

This is from the Umpqua CC site ...
    They had security.

So ... where would you have liked for those advertisements to be placed? And why would you expect advertisements to make a difference?

16. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    ...and this is why we'll never make any progress on the issue. Because in some people's minds, one automatically begets the other, and must therefore be ridiculed and shut down before any real dialog takes place.

17. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

That graphic is somewhat inaccurate. You aren't allowed to bring a gun into sporting events or government buildings. Some of them have designated security personnel who carry guns.

18. vrDrew thread starter macrumors 65816

This is one of the things I find so frustrating.

Because we are talking about an approach that has virtually nothing to do with gun control. That doesn't take away anyone's rights to buy and own guns. Its got nothing to do with bullet buttons or magazines; bayonet lugs or gun shows.

But instead of welcoming this sort of approach; the usual suspects either say nothing will work; or (worse) they deny there is a problem with mass shootings to begin with.

Part of me thinks the gun people don't want a solution to this sort of problem - because if we ever found one, it would be one less thing for conservatives to bitch about:

Without a massacre of school kids every two or three weeks - the Reichwing talking heads are going to find it that much harder to scare Cletus that Obama is coming to take his guns away.

19. citizenzen, Oct 7, 2015

citizenzen macrumors 65816

I was thinking something similar as well. I'm assuming that most of the security present is from private companies. However, I'm also pretty sure that due to the large nature of the events that police are used as well. A fine point, perhaps.

20. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I am on it, between CAM programs, so far I like what I am reading.

21. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

You are part of the problem, not the solution. How can you expect anyone to take you seriously, when as an adult I'm assuming, you are acting like this?

22. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

A mass murderer needs to feel threat to keep them at bay. Obviously there is no threat in a gun free zone, or society. Remove those free zones and let communities/institutions develop their own safety policy with the option to arm security or employees.

Even if it is a façade and they choose not to arm, it still creates a threat and makes them safer.

I hate the internet discussions of gun control. When that phrase is mentioned, 99% of the time it just means that person wants 0 guns or at the very least, controls where someone must store a gun at a club or a law provided facility. While that sounds like a solution on the surface, who would obey those rules? Only the law-abiding citizens who are not the threat.

If you still think 0 guns or storage is the solution, then you are not about protecting people from mass murderers, instead, you probably just fear the division this country is heading and know that it will not be pretty for the liberals if it happens.

23. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

FROM link .
    biased much?

24. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

really? where do you get this evidence? people shoot other people ho are armed all of the time. These people don't do it thinking they will walk out and get away with it. someone willing to commit suicide is not going to be too worried about a armed guard. the whole illusion that guns make is safe is pretty laughable with all the evidence against that.