Mass. Voters Say No to Tax Repeal, Yes to Pot, Maybe to Dogs

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Cleverboy, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/mass-voters...
    I didn't need any ads to tell me that this sounded like a bad idea. Eliminating a tax to reduce bloated spending? Meh. I'm not convinced. We're already in trouble with our budget, and the slashing has started. Eliminate revenue, and we're screwed.

Regarding pot? Yes, it should be a civil penalty not a criminal offense. Woot! Pot will now be a speeding ticket in Mass.

Dog racing? My wife put it best... "Will it bring in more money?" Clearly, PETA would have our asses in a sling, but I want to have the right politicians to cut the wrong programs and focus on the right programs, and give them the resources to get it done. I was for the gambling resort casios too, but that got no where.
    And, oh yeah... I voted for Obama and Kerry too.

And... incidentally... God bless my iPhone. :) I got to stand there and look up the arguments for and against the ballot questions online. Whole new world.
    http://www.sec.state.ma.us/ele/ele08/ballot_questions_08/quest_1.htm

~ CB

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

3. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Not my state but.
    Why would you vote no to making pot decriminalized ?

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Why would I vote yes? I feel decriminalizing it would lead to more drug use which is never a good thing.

5. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Actually, the BIG argument... even made by police officers, is that investing time and effort into ARRESTING people for having one ounce of marijuana bring very poor returns. Cops need to be working on the real criminals (hunting murderers and dealers of harder drugs or even holding over an ounce of mj). Moreover, they've made it clear that if someone is caught with marijuana, it would STILL be immediately confiscated, and the person would be issued a citation and $100 fine. This doesn't sound like its a "good thing".

It sounds like its a pain in the ass, but it doesn't trigger a distraction that occupies the valuable time of law enforcement. --And think about it this way... currently, police are encouraged to wag their finger and look the other way if they don't want the extra paperwork. If this passes, they'll have EVERY encouragement to issue a bazillion citations and fines, and make revenue for the state. Were I an offender, you'd see LESS of me doing this in public, not MORE (especially when the news stories come out about the fines and citations).

That's the theory anyway. Seems sound to me.

~ CB

6. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Even if MA votes to decriminalize pot, how does the state get around the federal laws against it? Wasn't that part of the problem CA had with "medicinal" pot?

Personally I don't care much either way - if you want to smoke yourself into blithering idiotdom then be my guest; just stay off the roads and away from heavy machinery while you do it.

7. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

If you get caught by Federal agents, yeah... its sounds like you'd be in serious trouble.
    Yeah, for which "DUI" related laws would, I believe, still be in full affect. The biggest thing about this change, would be that people not be given the feeling that it makes it "OK" to smoke MJ in Mass. It doesn't. It just means that police won't bother hauling your ass to jail. Its been proven that speeding causes accidents. It would make as much sense to make speeding CRIMINAL as it does to keep smoking/possessing 1 ounce of marijuana CRIMINAL. I got my license suspended once, because I forgot to pay a speeding ticket. Now, I'll annoy as many other fast-going drivers as needed not to get another ticket. If I was hauled in and arrested, it would have screwed up my life unnecessarily and occupied resources better needed elsewhere.

~ CB

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Bad reasoning. You cut down on crime a whole lot by decriminalizing a drug less harmful than alcohol. Remember what a bad idea Prohibition turned out to be?

9. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Because MA is spending millions of dollars per year imprisoning people for consuming a plant.

10. itcheroni macrumors 6502a

You've never tried it, have you? :p

11. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

No, and I have absolutely no desire to make use of something that will make me want to sit in the corner for an hour and contemplate string and then get an insatiable craving for a bacon, mustard and crayon pie.

12. jplan2008 macrumors regular

Well, one in six American adults are in jail. It doesn't look like our current system is "a good thing," either.

13. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

I know America has an inordinate amount of people in jail, but that number can't be right. According to international stats, it's 728 in 100,000. That's 0.73% of all Americans, not 16.67%. I realize that not all Americans are adults, but unless 9 in 10 Americans are children, it still doesn't add up.

728 in 100,000 is still a staggering number by international standards, but "one in six" would mean 16,667 in 100,000.

14. jplan2008 macrumors regular

Sorry, one out of thirty-six. I can't remember what the one out of six number is.

15. itcheroni macrumors 6502a

Gayness, perhaps? ;)

16. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I wish there'd be a national vote on pot. I stopped smoking years ago, but I'd frankly like to see pot, if not fully legalized, then at least decriminalized for possession and personal cultivation... Not only that, for a country in which use seems to be so widespread, there is a serious lack of credible information and debate about the subject.

17. itcheroni macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately, a national vote wouldn't go well. I think people would overwhelmingly vote to keep it criminal. At the very least, the feds should butt out of mecidinal marijuana and let the respective states enforce their own laws.