Massachusetts Senate Election Race: Brown v. Coakley

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IntheNet, Jan 12, 2010.

1. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

Republican Scott Brown versus Democrat Martha Coakley in Special Massachusetts Senate race has huge potential; affecting balance of power in U.S. Senate and likely health care vote... A few recent news bits...

'IT'S NOT KENNEDY'S SEAT, IT'S THE PEOPLE'S SEAT'
    YouTube Video From Debate
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJEEQHOnI2Q

Rasmussen: Brown cuts Coakley’s lead from nine points to two — in a week
    Rasmussen Reports
    http://www.rasmussenreports.com/pub...on_2010_massachusetts_special_senate_election
    A new Rasmussen Reports telephone survey of likely voters in the state finds Massachusetts Attorney General Martha Coakley attracting 49% of the vote while her Republican rival, state Senator Scott Brown, picks up 47%.

Coakley misspells name of state she wants to represent
    HotAir
    http://hotair.com/archives/2010/01/12/coakley-misspells-name-of-state-she-wants-to-represent/
    http://jammiewearingfool.blogspot.com/2010/01/doh-coakley-ad-attacking-brown.html

Amazing: Scott Brown about to raise $1 million for the day; Update: Done!
    HotAir
    http://hotair.com/archives/2010/01/11/amazing-scott-brown-about-to-raise-1-million-for-the-day/
    "... as of 9:20 ET he was at $984,000 and change. It’s a done deal; he’s about to double his targeted fundraising amount for this push. Mind-blowing."

GOP Fears Democrats Will Stall Swearing-In if Brown Wins Mass. Senate Race
    FOXNews.com
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...s-stall-swearing-brown-wins-mass-senate-race/
    Massachusetts Republicans fear that if their candidate for U.S. Senate scores an upset victory in the special election next week, Democrats in the state and in Washington will drag out the certification process just long enough so that he won't be able to block health care reform.

Pray for Republican Scott Brown to win this election...

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Praying worked so well for Sarah Palin in 2008 :rolleyes:

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Why doesn't god like Sarah Palin?

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Why are we praying for people to win elections? Somewhere, Jesus is weeping.

5. IntheNet thread starter macrumors regular

IntheNet

Martha Coakley Is Not Just Wrong on Terror War – She’s Dangerous
    Gateway Pundit
    http://gatewaypundit.firstthings.co...-war-on-terror-shes-dangerous-must-see-video/
    On Monday Senate Candidate Martha Coakley told Massachusetts voters that it was time to pull out of Afghanistan. Coakley said she was not sure there was a way to succeed.

“I think we have done what we are going to be able to do in Afghanistan. I think that we should plan an exit strategy. Yes. I’m not sure there is a way to succeed. If the goal was and the mission in Afghanistan was to go in because we believed that the Taliban was giving harbor to terrorists. We supported that. I supported that. They’re gone. They’re not there anymore.”

She’s not just wrong - She’s dangerous.

6. Queso macrumors G4

Obviously sexist.

7. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

It astounds me how often so-called Christians don't understand and misuse the idea of Christian prayer.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm not even Christian and I understand that.

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

And when I find it, it's going on eBay. :D:D

10. IntheNet thread starter macrumors regular

IntheNet

Brown earns Boston Herald endorsement =>

Scott Brown for U.S. Senate
    Boston Herald Editorial Staff
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010
    http://news.bostonherald.com/news/opinion/editorials/view.bg?articleid=1224899&pos=breaking
    Massachusetts voters have to ask themselves a serious question before they head to the polls next week: Are they content with the current state of affairs in Washington? Are they content with a sweeping health care bill, now being negotiated behind closed doors by principals from only one political party? (So much for a new era of bipartisanship promised by our president.) And are they prepared for the impact that bill will have on the health care industry in our own state, where we already insure 97 percent of our population? Are they prepared for the devastating impact of $500 billion in Medicare cuts, both on our citizens and on our hospitals?

Martha Coakley is pro-abortion; pro-baby death candidate!

11. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Methinks you don't understand Lee's question.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

So's Brown, from your own source:

13. IntheNet thread starter macrumors regular

IntheNet

Massachusetts Citizens for Life* supports Brown...
    http://blog.masscitizensforlife.org/

*The pro-life movement in the bay state since 1973.

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Good!

In other news, bears still **** in the woods.

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Quite, they aren't exactly going to support a democrat are they if both candidates are "baby killers"...

16. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Does it matter if one thinks abortion is right or wrong.

Also pro-choice is not pro-abortion. And pro-abortion is not pro-murder. By that regards, those that support: war, the police force and capital punishment are also for killing.

I also think that everyone has this prayer thing confused.

Perhaps it is that Jesus likes those of us that prayed against Palin better then people like InTheNet.

17. IntheNet thread starter macrumors regular

IntheNet

Union workers admits being paid by Coakley camp…but he’ll vote for Brown
    Michelle Malkin
    http://michellemalkin.com/2010/01/1...paid-by-coakley-camp-but-hell-vote-for-brown/
    I printed an e-mail from a reader I received yesterday about union workers with Coakley signs standing outside the UMass debate venue. The e-mail reported: ” While speaking with one of the union guys holding the Coakley sign, he admitted that his union was paying him $50 to stand and hold the sign. I was blown away, I always thought that these guys were out in the cold like us, doing what we thought was the right thing to do, not that they were actually being paid a fee to do it. The best part was when he admitted that although he was there because he needed the money, he was voting for Scott!!” Now, there’s video. The union guy is wearing a Sheet Metal Workers shirt from Local 17. Love how he says, “Shhhh:”

Playing semantic games with euphemisms?

18. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Hell, I'm pro-life, and these aren't semantic games; this is you deliberately manipulating the words of those who disagree with you to make them sound worse. Let me tell you, you won't win many arguments that way. You'll just make those who disagree with you madder and more convinced that they're right.

It makes you look like you don't understand the issue at all.

19. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

I know Scott Brown. His kid and my kid were on the same cross country team. I also know Massachusetts. Scott Brown is a good guy but he has zero chance of winning. This is Massachusetts... A BABY KILLER WOULD WIN... if he ran as a Democrat before they would elect a Republican. It's really sad... this is a one party state... kind of like Stalinist Russia.

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yet 4 of your last 5 governors were Republican. :rolleyes:

21. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Wow, just wow. I hope you're being sarcastic. You're talking about the state that elected a Republican as governor just six years ago.

Stalinist Russia... :rolleyes: Please tell me you're joking.

EDIT: Wow, except for the current governor, you have to go all the way back to Dukakis to find another Democrat...

22. fotografica macrumors 68040

A lot is going to depend on who Mumbles (Mayor Menino) backs..He's got the three biggest unions (police,fire,teachers) in his pocket and carries a lot of clout on Beacon Hill. It really doesn't matter how the middle/western part of the start votes..It basically comes down to the greater Boston metro area/Cambridge...You know Coakley was starting to hear footsteps when she enlisted the backing of the Kennedy family.

23. IntheNet thread starter macrumors regular

IntheNet

Thanks for your post but remember... there was absolutely no way Christie could beat Corzine in NJ... until he did precisely that!!! Mass voters see the disaster that is the Democrat Party and polls show Brown and Coakley within the margin of error...

24. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

Maybe I was a little over the top... I should have said Tsarist Russia.

Yes, we did elect several Rep. Governors but when the State Senate is so loaded with Democrats that they have a total veto over anything he might want to do. The real power in Mass is in the Democratic State Senate.

Scott Brown is a smart guy. He knew going in that he has zero chance of winning this. I think he's doing this for something else down the road. This gives him statewide name recognition.

25. fotografica macrumors 68040

Bingo..Senate Presidents (Bulger,Fineran,DiMassi et al) wield the power in MA and on Beacon Hill. More powerful than the governor..That's how it is here..