Massachusetts Town Proposes Banning All Tobacco Sales

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by DakotaGuy, Oct 29, 2014.

1. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

3. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

It seems to me to be similar to bans by some towns on sales of alcohol, the so-called "dry towns". Fine, just go to the next town over and buy your booze (or cigarettes) there.

As a practical matter, I don't think its going to impact cigarette usage significantly in that town.

4. xmichaelp, Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2014

xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

Don't care really. If Marijuana is still illegal almost everywhere, then why not tobacco? I don't like this hypocrisy. When it comes to things like alcohol, tobacco, and marijuana then have it be all or nothing.

(For the record I think they should all be legal, I just want them ALL to be illegal at the same time.)

Maybe a ban on tobacco will get people fired up and get them talking and the topic of marijuana will come up and people will realize that it should be legal too.

5. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Keep it legal. But keep raising the tax on it. Tell the smokers that the money is going for the cleaning we need to do to pick up after all the slobs who think its ok to throw their garbage on the street and sidewalk.

6. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I have never been a fan of government bans on any products. Tobacco usage is decreasing every year here in the Netherlands, it has been achived by both education and rises in tax on tabacco products.

From a high of 80% of all adults using tobacco in the 1970’s, to 23% in 2010.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Not a fan of governments banning things. Of course, if they called it a War on Tobacco, I can't see why it wouldn't work.

8. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Best not to do that. You only risk radicalizing the smokers, who will eventually rise up, proclaim jihad, and form a Tobaccoid Caliphate.

9. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

We know how prohibition works. Better to tax the hell out it, but not alcohol, which I enjoy on occasion, lol. :p The other option would be to raise the insurance cost for anyone who smokes which is only fair based on the health ramifications.

10. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Not necessarily disagreeing, but if the town raises taxes on tobacco, people will just buy their ciggies in an adjacent town with lower tobacco taxes. Seems like this ordinance is more of a symbolic thing than anything else.

I agree about the increased insurance cost for smokers. Given the health implications, that is reasonable and I think many insurance carriers do that already.

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

True. NYC taxes the hell out of cigarettes. I think a pack goes for $12 or more. On my commute home, when I hit the border with Nassau County (Long Island), all you see are signs advertising Long Island Cigarette Prices Here.

12. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I agree that raised taxes would have to be at the Federal level, which was what I was referring to but did not say.

13. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

As much as I dislike smoking... As agitated as I become having to breath in that wretched crap from nearby smokers... I still think this is really dumb idea. It'll never work.

14. bradl, Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2014

bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I see where you are going here. So the question has to be asked: How bad/severe is tobacco usage in this town?"

I ask that, because when you look at someplace like the Pine Ridge reservation in South Dakota, they had a complete ban on alcohol throughout the reservation, because of the alcoholism epidemic sweeping through the Lakota Sioux tribe there.

However, immediately outside the reservation, non-Indians started to build booze shacks and liquor stores, all while knowing that there is a major drinking problem plaguing that tribe.

The issue with Pine Ridge is that there is a treaty with the government that has a provision that alcohol must not be sold within a 10-buffer area around the tribe.

And yet, there it is, immediately outside of tribal lands.

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/mar/05/nation/la-na-nn-pine-ridge-liquor-laws-20130305

So the other question to be asked is not only how bad is tobacco use in this town, but what are the provisions of the law that deals with the ban? is there to be a radius around the town to which it can not be sold?

BL.

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

What good is a radius? If it's 10 miles, you open at 11 miles. And a town can't pass an ordinance that affects people outside of the town.

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

The nanny state (or town in this case) is still going strong.:(

17. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I agree with this. I live in a town that doesn't sell hard liquor. Anyone who wants it can still get it. They just have to go get it. If the citizens of this town are not in favor of it, then it will let the elected officials there know.

*Note* It's worth mentioning that this town is an hour from Woonsocket, the home of CVS.

18. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

I think the "dry towns" are really trying to zone out bars more than they are concerned with liquor store sales. It has origins in religious blue laws.

As far as banning tobacco sales, this is a symbolic move that won't do much to curb smokers. Smoking rates will continue to decline due to high cost and smoking bans in public places.

19. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

It's one town of only 7000 or so people that is thinking about banning it. They can't control what any other town does, so there's no surrounding radius involved.

Smokers will just go one town over, taking business away from this town and giving it to another.

20. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

In my state, there are different licenses for poured beverage or package beverage. We actually have poured beverage businesses in our town but do not have package sales of hard liquor.

21. splitpea macrumors 6502a

And along with the ordinances against smoking in public places, the rate of smoking has plummeted in the city in the last decade or so. It's a huge boon to those of us who enjoy being able to walk down the street or go for a beer without having to inhale secondhand fumes. Not to mention the lives it's presumably saved.