Massive Terrorist Attack in Turkey's Capital City

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Oct 10, 2015.

1. lostngone, Oct 10, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2015

lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Wow 80 people, what kind of gun was used? Must have been one of those black AR-47 assault rifles with high capacity clips...

2. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

More likely Turkish islamist radicals/nationalists, who expect the PKK to react to this strike, escalating the tension between the Kurds and the Turkish government.

At least pretend you try to stay classy.

3. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Hey guys! I'm gonna use a tragedy as an opening to whine about my own little persecution complex!

Watch me as I do it sarcastically.

4. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

80+ people dead :rolleyes:. Further reinforcing the stereotype that gun apologists completely lack objectivity and judgement. Play the victim elsewhere.

Condolences to the people of Turkey. Such a beautiful place full of happy and friendly people. Definitely resilient enough to get through this and not be swayed by whichever morons did this.

5. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

The gun grabbers don't wait for the facts or even for the blood to dry(literally) before they try and use a tragedy to push there agenda, so you will have to excuse me when say things like that.
    In case you missed my point. I was trying to sarcastically point out that even if you stop all criminals AND mentally ill people from ever touching a firearm that these people will still find a way to kill people in large groups.

6. .Andy, Oct 10, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2015

.Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

80+ innocent people dead and you're still trying to play the victim. Try and at least pretend to have some judgement and empathy.

This thread isn't about you or guns. It is about a terrorist attack on people exercising what should be their democratic rights.

7. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Who's to blame? The signs of the Turkish state's intelligence services are all over this whether it was carried out by daesh or others we all know who's behind it.
    Turkey attacks "terrorist groups" on its borders,that'll be two against the daesh and four hundred against the PKK in Iraq.
    You don't have to be a Weatherman to see which way the wind blows.

8. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

That there requires critical thinking. That doesn't win votes.

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

You can't wait for the blood to dry when there's a shooting every other day.

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Some people don't seem to understand the topic of the thread.

11. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

I've pointed out that very same thing myself. You might remember some of my "guns are the method but not the cause" arguments I've made in the past.

The problem is, you're not doing you and yours a favor by the way you broach the subject. Whenever YET ANOTHER mass shooting happens, it's a pretty common thing for people to question what caused it, and some of them will inevitably question the availability of guns as one potential source. It's not so much an "agenda" as it is "people trying to figure out how to prevent it from happening again". Lumping them all together into a singular Gun Grabber group, turtling up, then spend the rest of your time trying to shoehorn your favorite topic into whatever is currently being discussed doesn't do anything except make you and yours look like an obsessive, paranoid asses who put more worth and value into their favorite toys than they do peoples lives.

12. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

And some do. But now that it's been officially derailed, guess what we're going to be spending the next two pages talking about?

Yup. Guns.

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Sad this has happened, and shows what poor intervention and treatment of minorities brings.

14. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Okay no guns. Let's talk about banning or limiting access the items these terrorists used to build these bombs.

15. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Actually there are seemingly arbitrary items that are either tracked or carry greater restrictions if purchased in large quantities. Go to your local drugstore and try to purchase 20 boxes of sudafed if you don't believe me. Some of the items used to make bombs require some manner of skill to put together and arm. It's not quite the same as angry nutjob who can simply load a firearm. When people discuss things like time to reload, they realize that someone experienced with that type of firearm would not require much time to do so.

16. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

You can't. Bombs are incredibly easy to make, provided you have the know-how. Quite a few can be made using things you can pick up at a local grocery or hardware store. You can't protect people from themselves. By trying to do so, you'll only end up making a mockery of the laws and ideals our country was founded upon.

But that doesn't mean I advocate selling packs of C4 and remote detonators to any mouthbrething dipwad who walks in off the street.

Also, what Kev said. I wanted to touch on that, but I got lazy.

17. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

You speak of mockery yet it appears some Rights you feel it is totally acceptable to ignore/skirt but others not so much?!?! You do know the Constitution can be ratified.

18. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Okay. Let me throw out one quick example right fast. Explain to me how being restricted to buying one gun a month is a direct infringement upon your rights per the 2nd Amendment.

19. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I'm guessing 95% probability that it is ISIS. But, Kurds will be questioning whether the government knew anything about it. Turkey has done very little to help the Kurds fight ISIS, and, has recently begun fighting Kurdish nationalists again.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/11/world/europe/ankara-turkey-explosion-deaths.html

That would be the other 5% probability. I don't think the government would sanction it, though, even though I expect a lot of Kurds will be suspicious of the government.

20. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

The Turks and the Kurds......yet again;

from an al-jazeera report

21. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

See what I did there....

22. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

What? Made me list out a supposed "infringement" by asking you about one?

Looks more like dodging the question to me.

23. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

That isn't exactly the same thing. The second amendment ensures that you retain the right to firearm ownership. Renzatic's example is one attempt to curtail straw purchases in a much less invasive manner than some of the alternative methods.

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Seriously can we talk about turkey. There are 25 other threads to talk about guns.