Matching rMBP Monitor (Non-Apple Display)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by J.acks, Aug 2, 2012.

1. J.acks macrumors member

Guys.. Need help!!!

Any of you hook up your rMBP with a non-Apple Display (Thunderbolt Display and LED Cinema Display)?

I am considering getting a new monitor/tv to hook up with my rMBP. I am not considering getting Apple Display since the price is kind of overkill for just 27"!!

Any of you has experience/issue when you do dual monitor.. Can share your experience?

2. markp99 macrumors member

I am using 2 external monitors. Dell 24in variety, via:

1. HDMI directly
    2. Thunderbolt>>HDMI adapter
    3. RMBP in clamshell mode

Works great for me.

3. HighEndMac macrumors regular

You can get good looking screens for under $1G (AKA Apple) but they will never match the retina screen, even the Apple one does not.

4. Stetrain macrumors 68040

It depends on what you want out of the display.

If you want lots of pixels, then a Dell Ultrasharp 24" or 27" or Apple's 27" are good displays. Both Dell's and Apple's 27" displays have a 2560x1440 resolution and they're actually similarly priced.

If you don't care about that and just want to have a big display to watch video on from a bit of a distance then a TV over HDMI would work well.

If you try to use a TV as an up-close monitor you will probably be disappointed with the pixel density, especially compared to the RMBP.

5. Panini macrumors regular

Agreed.

Most people think all 27" displays are the same. Most are not 2560x1440.

This is dell's. $50 more and you get a nice aluminum frame and thunderbolt support.

6. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

$100 more and you can get the NEC version, which is unquestionably superior to both of them:p.

7. iNewbie macrumors regular

Monitors

I JUST got the rMPB a little bit ago. I almost bought the classic but didn't like the lack of monitor options. Once I learned that the retina screen was going to be ok for some of the parallels stuff I do I jumped at the retina.

I'm running two external monitors right now. Both older Dells. 30 Inch 2560x1600 and a 20 inch 1680x1050 in portrait mode. I also have the laptop screen for a total of 3 monitors right now. I've not tried the HDMI port yet.

[​IMG]

The only real problem that I had was the laptop would not auto set the resolution of the 30 inch monitor. It capped at 1600x1000 or something. I learned the trick is to hold the option key while clicking on "scaled" and that will give you all the resolutions.

The setup works GREAT so far. Though I will probably get an apple Thunderbolt monitor once it supports usb3...

8. pgiguere1, Aug 2, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2012

pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Depends on if you care that much about color accuracy, like if you use your monitor for professional multimedia applications, or not.

For a "casual" user who simply has a high budget for a monitor, chances are he'll like the Thunderbolt Display better.

More appealing design, better build quality, Thunderbolt hub, integrated HD webcam and mic, gigabit ethernet and FireWire, integrated speakers, power charging for your MacBook, a single cable, etc.

The TDB doesn't have perfect color accuracy but it's good enough and most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference at that point. They'll probably notice the illusion of contrast created by the glossy screen more.

I think the NEC is more targeted at photographers and print designers, otherwise the average consumer could possibly look at it and think it's an average 300$ display you find at Best Buy.

[​IMG]

-----------------------

OP, I recommend taking a look at Dell's Ultrasharp line.

9. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

You're right about the target market. The dell is aimed much the same way although it hits a lower price point. NEC always drops the price significantly mid cycle, which is what happened here. It started much higher. Regarding build quality, you're measuring based solely on finishes. A lot of electronics are incorporated beyond an oem'd panel. They do vary significantly. Both cut corners to a degree. I haven't seen any of Apple's 27" displays break. The older ones broke all the time. NEC's are nearly immortal. In both cases they used to drift pretty badly once they hit the 1.5-2 year mark. NEC has seemingly improved quite a bit there. The PA displays seem to hold up better. I'm not sure how they compare to the TB display. Overall Apple cares about different stuff. They implemented a docking solution, and they want it to look like something a woman would place in her house within plain view. Anyway my comment was more that I don't see Apple's option as being so much better than the Dell as was insinuated by the prior comment. If the OP is looking for a budget solution, he should also consider 24" models. 1920x1200 is far less irritating on a 24" 16:10 when compared to 1920x1080 on some of the 27" displays sold at comparable price points.

10. J.acks thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the tip guys.

I don't mind the spending. Since I am a little bit new to MacBook. The reason I pened this thread because, I saw Sony BRAVIA HD TV going at $599 for 32" but Apple 27" is going at $999. That's almost double and I may hook 2 monitors!

So now I need to find the monitor that has high resolution than its' display size.

Wonder if Apple will release a Thunderbold Display that has higher resolution than rMBP.

11. Aksta macrumors regular

12. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

I use it for gaming as well so I have 2 LG 2370V-BF 23in monitor.
    It has 2 HDMI per monitor+ DVI+D-sub so its great!

13. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

14. deerfaced macrumors regular

^ Yeah, but you could buy 2, pull off the horrible surrounds, and build yourself something awesome and seamless!

(all pure speculation - I have no idea how possible that is re: innards - but everyone likes some diy no?)

15. J.acks thread starter macrumors member

True to that. Price is something but I am not sure if I want to be diplay.

Oh well.. I will just wait for Apple to release a new retina display monitor that will exceed the current Thunderbolt Display.

It's just 2 months away till Apple next keynote. Worst case scenario, it will just be 1 year wait. :(:(

16. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I wouldn't count on a new one too soon - Apple has never released displays on a consistent schedule (there's been gaps as big as over two years to the next minor update) and retina displays over 17"ish, never mind 27, aren't even being considered yet IIRC. Plus it would be hideously expensive.

17. J.acks thread starter macrumors member

Uarrggh.. I am new to Apple Computer product. Thanks for letting me know a crucial fact. You have crushed all my anxiety and hope. Now I need to get a new external display asap.....

18. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

19. hiohokaybye macrumors regular

Its an awesome display. it's already available on newegg :)

I have the Samsung SA950 3D monitor... been using it everyday with my cMBP, but ive maybe used it like 10 times since i've gotten my rMBP :p

20. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Sorry! :eek:

Thunderbolt displays are still awesome if you decide to get one though.