Maternity Leave for High School Moms

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by faintember, Jan 10, 2008.

1. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Link

I saw this on the local news and it grabbed my interest. The article suggests a four week maternity leave be granted for new moms as it helps the mother and baby bond, rather than giving unexcused absences as is commonly done.

I understand the need for mother and child to bond after pregnancy, for them to heal/rest, and for the mother to take some time (if not previously done) to learn how to take care of their child. However the article does not state how the mothers will make up the four weeks of absences, although it does point to other school districts that offer class credits for nutrition, and others that offer a school that starts at 4:30pm in order to help the mother stay active in school while having time with her child.

Now, I am all for mothers bonding with their children (especially newborns) as I am for mothers staying in high school to obtain their diplomas, however I do see an issue when teachers, school districts and taxpayers have to pay (literally and figuratively) to cater to these new mothers. And with a high rate of teenage pregnancy (5.45% in Denver amongst girls ages 15 to 17) this poses a large burden both financially and morally.

So I was just wondering what other MR readers thought about this issue. I agree with credits towards nutrition (provided the mother do some form of paper work indicating proper nutrition in regards to newborns), but other than that I think mothers should have to either wait until the next semester to attend classes (as four weeks of absences would more than fail any student) or make plans to work with tutors and do their classwork from home.

2. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

3. Queso macrumors G4

A mile high perhaps?

4. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Yeah, that one jumped out at me also. According to the Denver Post, 54.5 out of 1000 will become pregnant, for a rate of 5.45%.

5. faintember thread starter macrumors 65816

faintember

It is quoted from the article in case you are wondering.

Bold/Italics emphasis is mine.

Soooo bad.:p

6. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

More than half of ALL 15 to 17 year old girls in Denver are pregnant?

7. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Check out my correction. It's only 5.45%.

8. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Maybe it's 54.5% of all married girls aged 15 to 17 or something ridiculous :p

9. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I think he's saying that 54.5% of teenage mothers in Denver are aged 15-17, the other 45.5% are under-15 or over-17.

I might be wrong though, and if so that's a rate of teenage pregnancy that puts even Hull to shame. :eek:

EDIT: Ah well, maybe not.

10. faintember thread starter macrumors 65816

faintember

Yeah yeah yeah, thats what I get for reading a % sign after a number; my bad.

11. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

The statistic in the article is 54.4 of every 1000 girls aged 15 to 17. So that means 5.44% Edit: oops, posted slowly :p

Still, interesting concept -- I don't believe the mothers should be forced to go back to school the next day (that is ridiculous), but I do think it may be difficult for them to make up the work/classes in 4 weeks. On the other hand, if a student had gotten into a car wreck and was in the hospital for 4 weeks, the school would undoubtedly have no problem letting them make up the work.

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

yea a little high, and being from around the denver area, i have no idea where all these kids are lol. maybe a typo?

but anyways i agree. i dont want tax dollars going to irresponsible kids (who doesnt agree to this) that are 15-17 that have children. why further their education on my money when they are irresponsible and will probably end up dropping out from hs and never going to college.

if they want the education bad enough, they will have to deal with the consequences of their actionas and not let the schools/society cater to their needs.

13. calculus Guest

calculus

"Of every 1,000 girls ages 15 to 17, 54.5 will become pregnant in the city"

er, I make that 5.45%

It's not the pregnant girls that need the schooling :rolleyes:

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

the car wreck you cant control. Choosing to get knocked up you can. big difference

15. faintember thread starter macrumors 65816

faintember

I made a mistake, I corrected it and apologized for it. So, in other words, politely toss off.;)

16. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

So, you're saying that new mothers, if they're still in high school, should be exempt from laws that regulate post high-school mothers?

That's just stupid. Maternity leave in the workplace is firmly entrenched in the law. I'll even bet that most universities allow for some sort of leeway.

Keeping kids in school is hard enough and forcing new mothers to attend school immediately after the birth of their child seems incredibly stupid and guaranteed to discourage them from finishing.

Teenage pregnancy, however regrettable, is a reality and has been for centuries. Why not deal with it the best way possible?

17. calculus Guest

calculus

Well I suppose that might help keep the numbers down ...

18. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Let me raise my hand as not agreeing with you. I don't think we want to aspire to be a society that writes off 15 year olds as a waste of time and resources, as you seem perfectly willing to do.

Let me ask a question, do you believe that this teenager has a right to an abortion?

19. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

as long as MY tax dollars arent being used to cater to their needs in a public school system due to them getting pregnant I dont care what they do

why should more resources be spent on them because they dont have self control rather than good kids? how about taxes need to be based on a per student basis so all kids receive same benefit

im not saying right them off. im saying deal with the consequences and not just hand out free resources with my tax money

why should society bend over backwards to accomoddate students who mess up? there is a big enough issue with the quality of education in alot of areas in the country. why waste resources on those that deliberately choose to engage in adult behavior and refuse to accept consequences

in other words, why hold back the students who are there seriously at the sake of those who are 15 and pregnant . Im willing to bet the kids that are out getting pregnant at this age are far far far more likely to not go to college and probably not finish hs.

however those that do but value an education will make it work out. im just saying that the majority dont value it most likley

the initiative HAS TO BE ON THE STUDENTS PART, not the school

and no I dont believe in abortion. i do believe in accepting responsibilty for what you do

20. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Those of you who are opposed to this on the basis of it costing you tax dollars: it will cost more money to hold her back and force another year of education, no?

Anyhow, I agree with getting four weeks off for maternity leave, it makes sense for the mother and child. I'd like to see some stipulation such as "must pass final exam with XX%" or, towards the end of the year, produce a make-up assignment that demonstrates applied knowledge of the subject. The point is to ensure a timely education, right?

21. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

So if they were drunk driving and are in a car accident, they shouldn't be able to make up the work? Or if they were really tired the night before because they were up late partying or something and fell asleep at the wheel, they shouldn't be able to make up the work?

22. faintember thread starter macrumors 65816

faintember

No, I just think that the taxpayers and the educational system should not have to plan and expend money in order to cater to teen mothers when, realistically the mother could take the semester off from school and then continue her schooling as per normal.

My issue is with the teen mothers forcing tax dollars to be spent for alternative programs in order for them to complete their education while their pregnancy could have been avoided. $5 for condoms is a lot cheaper than funding alternative programs.

I am actually more in favor of funding school-based childcare to both benefit teen parents and teachers who are also parents.

Ah, that was my point all along?:p

23. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The bigger issue is why are these girls getting knocked up at 15 in the first place. Solve that problem and everything else will fall into place.

24. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

I am all for providing new teen mothers with some time off. I really don't think 4 weeks is enough, but it is better than nothing. The purpose of high school is an education (as Iscariot stated) and the life lessons that a girl receives in the first 4 weeks of her infants life will be far more valuable to her than the 4 weeks spent in English, math, and PE. I think schools should allow for essential work to be made up and let the rest go. Giving a new mom some stress relief.

This quote from the article is rather disturbing:

What teen says to herself, "Well, since my school has a child-care center, I guess I should get pregnant."

25. Queso macrumors G4

You'd be surprised. Over here the teenage pregnancies go in clumps, almost as if once one or two girls in a group have a baby it becomes a desired item for others.