Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
i'd say it's survival of the fittest. these frogs naturally eliminate muscular disease from the gene pool, as those frogs cannot reproduce. a few hundred or thousand years of that, there's no more muscular disease.

so, i guess to sum up, if we didn't let people with muscular disease be part of the gene pool, it would eventually phase itself out. but i don't think that's a realistic method.

paul

kettle

macrumors 65816
So this is a point at which genetic problems are recognised and genetic benefits go undetected.

All the chaos brought by nature is overruled by mans humanity to the extent that man itself is prohibited from executing is inherent distructive selection processes.

There is many a man with muscular disadvantages that would prevail over another "variation" of himself if left to the natural laws of this planet. Perhaps due to genetic variation and potential advantage that our human intervention has chosen not to recognise or simply has not detected, either way we have s system which is as controlled as preventing a single variation of human from breeding.

Human ideals are pretty dumb in a system where the universe makes the rules and not man. The universe doesn't care if you think this selection process is a realistic method.

Is genetic difference anything like electricity and potential difference?

It seems people born with disadvantage have an unknown that makes them drive to eliminate their disadvantages, whereas a person with an unspecified genetic advantage has no idea of their potential unless they stumble upon the benefits by accident?

Perhaps life is so damn easy that our "humanity" is actually doing more harm than good, all genetic variation would be more useful if fully tested, life needs to become much more "inhumane" before we take full advantage of our natural development as a species.

maybe not:confused:

rueyeet

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2003
MD
I've read somewhere that the advances in medicine and adaptive technology have actually resulted in making humans less healthy as a whole, because many illnesses and congenital conditions that would have been naturally selected out of the population are now treatable, or at least survivable, and the people with those conditions or predispositions are passing them on to future generations. The general idea was that our "life at all costs" mentality will do us greater damage in the long run.

Of course, none of that means much when it's someone you love that's dying. :(

Dros

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2003
Originally posted by kettle
Perhaps life is so damn easy that our "humanity" is actually doing more harm than good, all genetic variation would be more useful if fully tested, life needs to become much more "inhumane" before we take full advantage of our natural development as a species.

maybe not:confused:

Little did the blowfish researchers know they were proposing mass eugenics and the eventual downfall of the human race! :D

If someone can get therapy to allow their muscles to function, I bet many would choose to do that. People born with disadvantages that go on to overcome those and do good things are worthy of admiration, but at least some would rather not have to suffer so that the rest of us can feel good reading about them in the Sunday Parade magazine.

Sure, no one wants a future of generic tall, blond people genetically altered to fit some ideal. Life is full of challenges, though, no matter how genetically superb you are, so I don't think we'll soon be a world or nation of couch sitting, TV watching, apathetic, um, non-voting, err, judged to impossible physical ideals, ok ok nevermind!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.