Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RandomDeadHead

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 8, 2003
fennario
I just purchased six G5 iMac 1.8s for my office two weeks ago, and have already replaced 8 matshita combo drives. Eight frekin' drives died in two weeks, and two replacements doa. Two drives were doa right out of the box, the other 4 died within 2 days slowly grinding to a hault, literally. so I called Apple wensday morning and they appoligised and sent me 6 new matshita drives to replace those other broken matshita drives. Six dead drives on six brand new iMacs withen two days. Friday afternoon I get the new drives. Only had time to install one of them but after the instlation I noticed that same "grind of death" noise comeing from the brand new matshita drive that I had just installed. Monday morning rolls around and we install the other five drives, suprise one of the new drives is doa right out of the box. Call apple, they send a new drive out. Wensday comes and my lay girl is burning a disc when all of a sudden a cracking noise fills the office. The brand new matshita drive that I had replaced on friday had some how broken and shatered the cdr inside of it. I call Apple, they send a new one out. Friday brings another doa matshita to my door, call Apple they send out another. Also on friday two of the replaced matshita drives are makeing the grind of death sound. I got another doa replacement matshita drive this monday, call apple, they send another. Tuesday afternoon, another matshita is dead in an office iMac.
So I called Apple and started yelling, they hung up on me. So I called back a little later with a cool head and asked if they could send me drives that were not made by a company who has the word **** in their name. The guy explained to me that matshita make very VERY high quality combo drives, and has a very strict quality control department, wich is the reason Apple does buesness with them, so any and all replacement drives will be matshita drives. So now I am looking for 6 new NON matshita drives so I can have a little rest, and not have to worry about verbally assaulting an Apple tech. I hate to void my warantee especially consideing that I bought Apple care for all six of them, but i don't want to be continually replacing matshita combo drives. I don't have time to replace four or five matshita drives a week, and it is obovous that Apple doesn't care about the problem. Looking back I should have just paid the extra $1200 and gotten 2.0 superdrive iMacs.

So the moral of the story is, if it has **** in the name it probably is a piece of ****, albiet a "high quality" piece of ****.

ps Too all you overly eager British mod's. Matshita is actualy the name of the company. So saying the name Matshita doesn't count as cussing.

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
TN
ask them....

Why not ask them if you can return the iMacs and get the 2.0 with superdrives? Pay the price difference. I mean you have had a lot of problems with them.

Nuc

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Nuc said:
Why not ask them if you can return the iMacs and get the 2.0 with superdrives? Pay the price difference. I mean you have had a lot of problems with them.

Nuc

what Nuc said.

if you have problems with who you talk to , get a manager on the phone and talk to them. Just be an adult with them, and avoid the "blame" game.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Actually, they are Matsushita 松下 drives, but it's too bad you're having so much trouble with them. It probably has something to do with the angle since few machines are vertically-oriented.

RandomDeadHead

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 8, 2003
fennario
Nuc said:

Nuc

Two reasons, Can not afford the downtime. Can not afford to pay the price difference right now.

RandomDeadHead

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 8, 2003
fennario
bousozoku said:
Actually, they are Matsushita 松下 drives, but it's too bad you're having so much trouble with them. It probably has something to do with the angle since few machines are vertically-oriented.

Ok, that name sounds better. I just asumed that they were Matshita because that what the system profiler states. However, I am still going to call them matshita because it's more fitting.
I think I am going to take my wifes advice for once and wait a few weeks before calling Apple again, mabe their was just a bad batch of drives. We dont really need the cd drives, since we have several old firewire drives as well as other macs.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
RandomDeadHead said:
Two reasons, Can not afford the downtime. Can not afford to pay the price difference right now.

call them up and tell them the time you have wasted with those crappy drives and demand some different drives as a replacement (aka superdrives), tell them they cant expect you to continue replacing the drives as you have a business to run and you thought you were using apple because of there reliability but this obviously is not the case and from this experience you could not recommend apple to anyone if you are treated in this way.

that line got me a free 512MB ram upgrade with a logic board replacement.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
I would say that's a bad batch, and they better be looking into all of those, cause...that's uhhh...not acceptable, nope, not at all!

They have been using Matsushita drives for quite some time now, and they have proven to be very reliable. I would for sure ask for superdrives though, doing this on 6 machines is just getting crazy!

Lastly...Matsushita is more widely known as the Panasonic Corporation. And...that shi and ta combination in Japanese is one reason it's so fun to speak! My real fun word is "SHITSUREI".....which is kind of an excuse me...but I love to write that one out!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.