Matshita UJ-868 KB19 optical drive in Macbook Pro 13

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by steamtoy, Sep 21, 2009.

1. steamtoy macrumors regular

Just bought a Macbook Pro 13 2.53GHz. The optical drive sounds awfully every time machine is started up.

I have a macbook aluminum and a mac mini, both of which has a short modern zippy sound when machine starts. So I checked the machine spec and it turns out that optical drives in these machine are both branded HL-DT-ST and the crap one in new Macbook Pro 13 is Matshita UJ-868 KB19.

I never expect to have this issue. Every time I turn it on at library that stupid long, loud sound kills me. Now I just find out how much I love the air with no optical drive.

So the question is: Is it possible to change for another machine with HL-DT-ST drive?

_______
    [Update]

I got this drive replaced in Apple Store. The new drive is also a Matshita UJ-868 KB19 manufactured in August 2009, but this one is very quiet and there is no weird sound anymore. Looks like the previous one is indeed a defect product. So if anyone got weird noisy sound on startup with their Matshita optical drive, don't hesitate to take your machine to Apple Store and get the drive replaced.

2. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

Well, you've got a couple of options here.

1) If it's still within warranty or AppleCare coverage period, see if Apple will repair or replace it at no charge or a small charge.

2) If not, and if you're good with two Torx screwdrivers (which you can find somewhere) and am confident in following online repair guides/tutorials, you could try replacing it yourself after ordering the $150 replacement drive.

3) If no dice to #2, you could order the replacement drive plus pay an extra fee for a Mac repair shop to do it for you. I know of one place who does it for this exact drive and MBP model, but have never personally used them before.

3. 7even macrumors 6502a

Hmmm... I've owned at least two of these exact drives in my MBPs and they were all quiet. You have a warranty.. use it. If < 14 days have passed, you can probably have the whole machine swapped.

4. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

My 2.53GHz MBP (1 week old) has the OPTIARC AD-5960S installed. I think it's made by Sony.

No strange noises to report, and it's a lot quieter than my iBook's DVD combo drive.

5. niksynik7 macrumors newbie

does this sound indicate a problem.
    i also have a matshita uj868, and it makes sound on startup and also makes noise when a disc is inserted , is this abnormaal or something??

6. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

They all make that zippy seeking sound at boot..

7. niksynik7 macrumors newbie

so thats normal??

8. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

If you aren't fond of it why not replace it with another HDD? I removed mine and replaced it with a 500GB HDD and replaced my bootup drive with a X25 SSD. Don't miss the optical one bit. There's a major thread on the optibay and I did mine for $20 + HDD cost.

9. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Same drive in mine and it's quiet too.

10. steamtoy thread starter macrumors regular

OK. I've made a appointment with genius bar and I'll try to get it swapped.

11. steamtoy thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for everyone's advice.

I got that drive replaced and now there is no weird noisy sound on startup anymore. The self-detect is extremely quiet on machine startup and I believe it is better than HL-DT-ST GS23N model.

The new optical drive is also a Matshita UJ-868 KB19, manufactured in Aug 2009.