Matte 17" UMBP vs. Glossy UMBP with anti-glare film

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Stvwndr219, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Stvwndr219 macrumors 6502

Hey guys,

I'm not sure if this was discussed yet but I have been debating whether to get the matte version of the screen and lose the glass structure behind the glossy MBP or simply get the anti-glare film and put that on top of the glass screen.

What do you guys think would be better?

Thanks!

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Personally i prefer the option of the glossy with the anti-glare film because i think it looks nicer with the black bezel, but thats what it basically comes down to, which do you think looks nicer..

3. damnyooneek macrumors 6502

the image with the film will not be as sharp as the actual anti glare screen.

4. Stvwndr219 thread starter macrumors 6502

Does anyone have any comparison photos? Or even for the 15"?

5. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

6. Mark2000 macrumors regular

Mark2000

7. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

of course, thats why i think its funny when people say they want matte because you dont get so much reflection, of course you get the same amount of light reflection, thats physics 101, the matte screen cant make the light magically disappear, it isn't a black hole, it just the matte screen diffuses the light so it appears less, but actually you just end up with a massive blur on your screen.

8. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

Oh wow. What a suprise. Another of these discussions... How original...

To the OP and back on topic, you're always better going without the matte film. While it is effective at what it does, it won't be better than a native matte panel.

And as of the dead-donkey topic of matte vs. glossy, just ignore that "bag of hurt" :rolleyes:

9. Stvwndr219 thread starter macrumors 6502

^^

Thanks for the replies so far. My intent was not to spark another glassy vs. matte display so much as film vs. matte display. I guess the film gives the best of both worlds - the structural rigidity of the glass as well as an *optional* matte screen and the ability to go back to glassy.

I think I'll just go ahead with the glassy and film! Thanks guys!

10. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

What matte vs. glossy debate? i was just making a fairly clear observation.

If you get the glossy with the film, you can always take it off and go back to glossy if you want, but if you get the matte your always stuck with matte...

11. szark macrumors 68030

szark

That picture would be a relevant comparison if the displays were in the same position at the same angle, but they aren't.

Having said that, matte vs. glossy is entirely a matter of personal preference. :)

12. user1234 macrumors member

Does anyone have comparison shots that show how the film affects the sharpness of the screen? with some text or something on it? Or just some shots of a MBP with film showing some text.

13. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

That's exactly why I bought glossy. I wasn't sure how removing the glass would effect the rigidity of the laptop and if these reflections are so horrible when I travel with the MBP that I just cant stand it I will just get a matte screen. It wont effect the IQ of the screen by too much if any at all.

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

From every other photo I've seen of a matte screen vs glossy, it's not even close.

HERE. It's from 2 days ago. Scroll down a bit.

15. KBS756 macrumors 6502a

lol those pics are with the display backlight off... any glossy screen is gonna reflect like that... turn up both displays most of the way and most of the light wont be seen + if its all that much of a prob with glossy change the angle of the screen slightly the reflection will be gone...

Some people like glossy some people like matte but to me this reflection stuff is just dumb because a glossy or matte will both be effected by light ... glossy will sharply reflect (but u wont notice if ur display is cranked up on brightness) and matte will blur the light and wash the display out most of the time... and unless u have a ton of light sources everywhere a minor adjustment to screen angle or laptop position will easily get rid of this glare for both (at least in my experiences)... mostly comes down to wether u like the matte or glossy for how they look (not how the reflect ....)

16. jobi1 macrumors newbie

anti-glare films for unibody MBP17

Which particular anti-glare film were you considering? I too am thinking of going this route and haven't found an anti-glare film made especially for the new unibody MBP17 (maybe because there is a matte screen option). I was also hoping there were products like something you could attach and detach as well as a permanent film you apply with adhesive (which I'm assuming is what you're referring to). Any specific info anyone might have on such options would be greatly appreciated. I'm hoping to have the best of both worlds - the look of the glass version with the functionality of anti-glare.

17. wahoo10 macrumors 6502

Targus makes one. Look at their MacBook part of the store.

18. philips macrumors regular

philips

The best shot ever at glossy vs. matte was done by Engadget folks here: http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/04/macbook-pro-17-inch-unibody-review/. Image is close to the end of the article. Direct link to the comparison photo.

Matte vs. glossy boils down to what you going to do with your MBP. If it is movie watching, then glossy is the best. If it is some text writing work - then matte. Colors are best on glossy of course. But working for hours and hours is possible only with matte.

19. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

Dude, no offense and I'm really not trying to turn this into a "VS" thread but that photo is NOT a fair example. There is only a tiny section of that light in the matte screen, the glossy is mostly in the light. Its obvious by there reviews the Engadget folks much prefer the matte and its just another cooked photo.

IMHO opinion this image is a closer to real life. Same angles, no trickery.

[​IMG]

20. philips macrumors regular

philips

About the "VS" thing.

Actually, it only recently stroke me as odd that people discuss it.

In my part of universe - where people worked with computers for 15+ years now - nobody actually asks the "VS" question.

Everybody works in some application field and that application field sets the requirements for the display. Me as coder went for matte. My friends designers would likely pick glossy since they need better colors. It's not really preferences anymore - it's more like a part of work and life style.

In the end, if anybody asks himself "should I buy glossy or matte?" should go for glossy, since this is IMHO a best option for most of use cases of laptops. And it's cheaper.

21. bf2008 macrumors member

Hi. Your question is whether to but a matte 17 MBP, or glossy 17 MBP and apply the film? In that sense I think the answer is pretty easy, just get the matte 17 MBP.

From the Macworld picture it's very strange why the third display looks so washed out, worse than the glossy with anti glare film. I don't understand what TechRestore do, but you should certainly compare the Matte and Glossy MBP side by side in the Apple Store and choose whatever you like the most,

Regards

22. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

What is it with you and resurecting old threads. :confused:

It's not as if we don't have enough, newer, threads on this already...

23. bf2008 macrumors member

Sorry, I just did a search and this turned out.