Mav. on iMac 24 C2Duo vs ML on iMac 27 3.2 i5. Surprise!

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Racineur, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Racineur macrumors regular

Racineur

Hi, I'm refraining from going Mavericks with all the bad reviews I read here and there. For now, I'm sticking with ML 10.8.4 on my late 2012 iMac 27 3.2. i5. But, here's this. Apple installed a new HD in my sister's 24in 2.0 ghz Core2Duo iMac after the stock went kaput. Mavericks came installer with new HD. So I had a try at Mav at her home at Xmas. Works flawlessly. No kernel panic. Safari is way faster than my 6.0.5 on my iMac with ML. Why? I have 20mbps cable connexion. Se has 10. Finder is responsive. No lags. Pages, Numbers and Keynote run very very fine. Even Apple Store app is faster. I'm flabbergasted. So: am I to give Mavericks a try or wait until 10.9.2 or even 10.9.3? AFAIC, ML is a gem for me. I'd like to understand how and why a Core2Duo iMac with 2 gig men can run Mav in such a wonderful way. OK, she's not doing any GMail. Nor do I. Undrstand that all those bad reports and reviews can frighten away some ML users like me. But Mavericks is so tempting.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Any computer from 2006 onward should have enough horsepower to run any modern OS without trouble, no questions asked. Which is why it's so smooth. Heck, Microsoft got Windows 8 to run on the equivalent of an iPad! Is it smoother than ML? If so, that's because Apple finally started writing an OS that isn't 100% crap.

Having said that, I'd still hold off. Since upgrading to 10.9.1, I cannot save any files to my NAS while connected to VPN (haven't tried while not connected, as I'm not near my home LAN atm). There's definitely some issues, and if you require rock solid stability, I would hold off until 10.9.2 is released, and there's some reports on how buggy (or not) it is.

3. adamneer macrumors 6502

10.9.1 has definitely smoothed a lot of things out with Mavericks, but there really weren't a whole lot of major issues to be concerned with in the first place. My biggest issues are actually the result of 3rd parties, such as Wacom and Adobe who still haven't ironed out some pretty major bugs in their programs/drivers. But you need to get rid of this modern doomsday mindset people seem to have where "reports" make things seem like much bigger, more widespread issues than they really are. If it was so bad, do you really think Apple, the most (or second or 3rd) valuable tech company in the world, would put out without immediately fixing, or pulling it?

4. Bear macrumors G3

On the other side of the coin, some of the people who say they are not running into any real issues may just not be bothered by something they're running in to. In my book "no real issues" is different from "nio issues". True that there are many people who are having no issues with Mavericks, but there are enough people having issues, that I advise people to make sure all their software and devices are compatible and that they should have a full backup before they upgrade just in case.

5. adamneer macrumors 6502

well of course, thats true to a certain extent also. and the best advice would always be to read up on it and make an educated decision based on similar setups/uses as to whether or not to upgrade. as you pointed out, what i don't see as a big deal, others might. but this is not something that ANYONE can put in universal terms, so you have to go by the quantifiable things like # of users reporting issues vs # of total users. If you limit yourself to reactions based on worse case scenarios, you are being arbitrarily cautious. Nothing will make 100% of the people happy. With reviews, you will always hear the negatives more than the positives but that doesn't mean they're the most common, or the most relevant, as you've pointed out. So here are some of my specifics so the OP can make more of an educated decision, beyond the fact that they're already confirmed for themselves on another machine that Mavericks is running fine:

I have spent an average of 8-10 hours per day on my machines since installing Mavericks on launch day. I am a motion graphics artist and video editor, using Adobe After Effects, Illustrator, Premiere and Photoshop on a daily basis, extensively. Outside of that, I have been a Mac user for about 10 years and have used Tiger, Panther, Leopard, Mountain Lion (I skipped Snow Leopard and Lion because of a late switch to an Intel Mac) and now Mavericks. Each of them have had their particular quirks, and each has had a feature that I wish Apple never got rid of. And for sure, the machine has always run most stably with the .3 and .4 iteration of each release. But that never stopped me from wanting to check out the latest and greatest features, so I upgraded to Mavericks on release, and despite a few setbacks with some After Effects plugins, and some annoying bugs in Photoshop, I still managed to keep making a living off my systems. So when it comes to the average user, who undoubtedly will be spending less time on their machine than I do, I can fully support the decision to install Mavericks. If you have any intention of staying current with technology going forward, I highly recommend you get used to being a bit more flexible with your demands for perfect software. With Wall Street and 17 year old kids calling the shots, things are only going to change more rapidly each year. If you choose not to keep up because you are scared off by the complaints, you risk making it an even harder transition to the next release. So maybe you'll be put off by a few things at first, but having an open mind will give you a much better experience in the long run than having those inevitable quirks be magnified by a predisposition.