Maverick switches to new desktop in full screen (videos)

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Anion, May 22, 2015.

1. Anion macrumors newbie

Hello everyone!

as usual, I've crawled the internet and these halls for respective topics but came up with very little. Still, I am sure there must be a topic in this as it seems too intrusive to just annoye myself. So please just link the the thread in case you know where to find it.

In short: since I use mavericks I noticed, that in browser (e.g. youtube) full screen videos switch to a new desktop which takes aprox. 1-2 seconds and is just plain annoying. However, I could solve that issue by disabling Html5 videos on youtube and use flashplayer instead. BUT since recently VLC also started to behave in that manner. Therefore I am sure it must an inherent feature of Mac OS. Dispite my efforts I could not find an option (neither in mac os nor in vlc/firefox) to suppress such behavior, though.

Can anyone share insights? I'd be most grateful. Thanks

Anion

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

You are right: this is a new behavior in Yosemite. Full screen by default switches to a new desktop, including using apps in full screen mode.

That said, the version of VLC that I have (2.2.1) seems to roll back that behavior and implements its own, non-desktop-switching version of fullscreen. So if that's what you prefer, you might want to update to 2.2.1.

3. Anion thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the hint. At least I've got the issue solved with VLC. Too bad, though, nobody seems to be bothered with this behaviour. Or at least with the absence of choice in some contexts...