Mavericks — nVidia drivers for 2010 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xynzee, Dec 5, 2013.

1. xynzee macrumors newbie

I just upgraded to Mavericks and found that my 2010 i7 15" is not acknowledging the nVidia card — GeForce GT 330M.

I tried the nVidia site and didn't see a Mavericks driver — Snow Leopard being the highest — nor one for the 330M.

Anyone know about this issue and/or when it will be resolved?

2. leman macrumors 604

OS X comes bundled with all the graphics drivers. What do you mean 'not acknowledging the nVidia card'? What does Graphics/Displays tab of the System Information utility say?

3. xynzee thread starter macrumors newbie

Under the "System More..." screen the only graphics card was the Intel card. No mention of the nVidia. It's there in the detailed summary.

I only found this out when I went to run Quake 4 and I was given a display error. The game would not go to full screen and take higher settings. I'm currently restoring Lion to see if that fixes the issue.

4. monokitty macrumors regular

I've seen this before - unfortunately, it meant the dedicated graphics card had failed and only the integrated graphics chip was being recognized. (Defective logic board.)

5. geralddarden macrumors member

geralddarden

Are you on the latest firmware level for your MBP? Here is a screenshot from mine (with dedicated GPU): http://i.imgur.com/DcpGIaQ.png

Also, you may not see the GPU as active unless it is in use. Have you tried using GFXCardstatus? It will allow you to call out the dedicated GPU for use.

dowload link: http://gfx.io/

6. xynzee thread starter macrumors newbie

@geraldarden

Thanks for the tip. I installed the app. For some reason in Mavericks when I'd load Q4 the game wouldn't activate the nVidia card. By using the force use of the nVidia function I had no problems.

Cheers!