Mavericks 3.2% of desktop OSes in use? Discussion...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by KUguardgrl13, Feb 3, 2014.

1. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

This is in no way intended to start a Windows vs. OS X vs. other OS battle, but I thought the graph in the article was interesting...

Oops, Windows XP gains in January but so does Windows 8.1

TL;DR XP is still used on around 25% of computers, but Windows 8/8.1 is making gains. Mavericks accounts for around 3.2%...

So the graph in the article separates the various Windows OSes going back to XP, but it only shows Mavericks for OS X followed by linux and an "other" category. But I know there are still a number of Mac users that use older versions of OS X and perhaps even older versions than that. Can we assume that Mac OS is likely larger than 3.2%? Discuss (namely because I don't want to be that Apple troll on a Windows article on Cnet... lol...)!

2. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Mavericks is 3.2%. Older OS X versions are part of "Other". Windows still dominates, so those older OS X versions are just part of the noise in this chart.

3. KUguardgrl13 thread starter macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

That's what I figured, and I knew Windows would be way ahead anyway. I'm just not a fan of how they skewed OS X to look SO small in comparison when we probably have a 5 or 6% share at least.

4. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Not skewed at all, unless there is an older version of OS X that beats Linux's 1.6%. Since the article was about Windows, they could have just clumped OS X and Linux under "Other".

5. guineaphinea macrumors newbie

Windows still rules and dominates the market (at least the reliable/easy to use versions :p). Where I live (Eastern NC), ALL of our schools and government buildings both in my county and surrounding ones all use Windows machines which I'm sure is a HUGE contribution to numbers like these.