Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vandal.

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
Berlin, Germany
Hey guys,

I'm having issues connecting my Mac mini 3,1 (early 2009) running 10.9.5 to my Sony Bravia KDL-60w805 via Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter after the latest Security Update 2015-001.

The TV displayed 1920x1080 with the same hardware, same HDMI cable and same adapter before. But after the update Display preferences doesn't show any other resolution than 1280x1024, nothing happens when alt-clicking 'Scaled' or 'Detect Display'. The Bravia doesn't even register an active HDMI connection and there's no "unsupported resolution" warning displayed on the TV.

I've tried Switchresx and DisplayMenu, ran Onxy, reset PRAM and SMC to no avial. Any suggestions for another solution I could try?

Did Apple kill anything related to the HDMI adapters in this security update? Or could this be completely unrelated to the update?

Thanks a lot in advance,
V

Last edited:

Negritude

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Try applying the combo 10.9.5 update and then see if things work OK, and after that, let the MAS update with the security patches again. Maybe something got messed up and a second time it will work.

Vandal.

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
Berlin, Germany
Thank you, I just reinstalled the combo update and manually installed the security update again, no luck.

A regular Displayport to HDMI adapter doesn't work either, the HDMI cables and the TVs port do, tested it with another mac. Still ordering another adapter to be sure…

edit: When installing the combo update, the screen sharing screen went back to 1920x1080 just for the update process but reverted back to 1280x1024 once restarted.

Last edited:

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
Hey guys,

I'm having issues connecting my Mac mini 3,1 (early 2009) running 10.9.5 to my Sony Bravia KDL-60w805 via Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter after the latest Security Update 2015-001.

The TV displayed 1920x1080 with the same hardware, same HDMI cable and same adapter before. But after the update Display preferences doesn't show any other resolution than 1280x1024, nothing happens when alt-clicking 'Scaled' or 'Detect Display'. The Bravia doesn't even register an active HDMI connection and there's no "unsupported resolution" warning displayed on the TV.

I've tried Switchresx and DisplayMenu, ran Onxy, reset PRAM and SMC to no avial. Any suggestions for another solution I could try?

Did Apple kill anything related to the HDMI adapters in this security update? Or could this be completely unrelated to the update?

Thanks a lot in advance,
V

You might want to try PRAM and SMC reset.
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

Vandal.

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
Berlin, Germany
I don't know how exactly, but I managed to fix it!

Setting the resolution to 1980x1024 with DisplayMenu again resulted in a black screen in screen sharing but after a manual restart it stuck and the TV was recognized, displaying the image at 1080p.

Thanks for the suggestions though guys!

Vandal.

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
Berlin, Germany
Just to add, power cycling my Sony Bravia fixed any other HDMI issues I had since.

Might have even been the fix for my problems with the mini. Unplugging the power cord for about 1 minute and restarting the TV did trick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.