Mavericks still living up to it's Vista-like reputation

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by jbarley, May 15, 2014.

1. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Glad to see OS X Mavericks isn't disappointing anyone, each update creating new problems for the users, some who are still trying to fix problems caused by the last update.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Meh, sorry for your problems, but I haven't experienced any at all
    I suspect there are far more who haven't than have

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I'm glad that not only do you find joy in others' misfortune, but that you can amuse yourself by thinking that Mavericks is anywhere close to how bad Vista was. :rolleyes:

4. SlCKB0Y macrumors 68040

SlCKB0Y

Glad to see people aren't creating useless threads about non-existent issues.

5. comics addict macrumors 6502a

Just wondering if you ever were around for OS X Lion ?:confused: for all its quirks OS X Mavericks is fairly stable.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Actually for me, Mavericks is been rock solid and not "vista like" as you so eloquently put it. Quite the opposite, Mavericks has been one of the best versions of OSX imo.

7. torana355 macrumors 68020

Mavericks running like a dream on my 2011 MBA and my 2012 iMac. I have no problem criticising Apple for bad products either.

8. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

Do you actually use Mavericks? They way your post is worded sounds like you don't.

I've had Mavericks since the DPs and it's been rock solid for me on my 2011 MBP.

IMO, Lion was the vista of OS X. Buggy and really slow. Mountain Lion wasn't much better

9. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

i've come to this forum for years, for help with issues, and to share ideas for fixes. and to learn. and to discuss.

but all these endless, whiny posts! EVERY new os has it's share of issues, so...discuss them. ask for help. focus on the issue itself.

instead of:
    "why is (insert current new os version here) the worst ever?"

boring, and tiresome. have a problem? ask for help. os having issues? maybe it's YOUR experience, not EVERYBODY's.

let's get on track (for example, the missing Users folder issue in 10.9.3...got it fixed, thru a post on this forum).

so, yes, there are issues. that one's fixed for me, and am back to work...and loving mavericks (overall...) :cool:

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It's strange that the OP's join-date is the same year that Vista came out since I otherwise would have a sworn he must have been too young to have been around for Vista.

11. SolRayz, May 16, 2014
    Last edited: May 16, 2014

SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

Some people who claim they have no issues must be delusional apple fan boys, have memory problems, or are simply noobies to the :apple: world with no experience with what was once the norm, that being, stability and efficiency. Snow Leopard comes to mind and that was some time ago.

The days when Apple used to focus on stability, simplicity, and common sense are long gone. The reality for me is that Mavericks has taken a back seat to my Windows 7 install. Pretty sad but true.

12. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Vista-like? Hardly. I have run Maverick on both a 2010 and 2011 MBP, both running 4GB, and NEVER had an issue. I upgraded to 8GB on the 2011, but honestly I didn't really need to.

Since it is against policy to insult a member, I REALLY wish the down vote button would come back.

13. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

I've experienced no issues at all & found Mavericks to be a marked improvement on ML.

Remember this forum is highly skewed with the opinions of those with complaints / problems.

14. sixrom macrumors 6502a

Mavericks has been very good in my experience

15. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

read what people are posting; NO ONE is saying 'apple is perfect, mavericks is perfect'.

i am loving mavericks...NOW that i've resolved some problems. not my first issues on a mac OS, and...undoubtedly not my last.

overall, for me, mavericks has been stable and efficient; not magical, or anything like that. but hey, am a macuser, not a fanboy...

16. treichert macrumors 6502

Mavericks does not have anything that even remotely resembles Vista-like reputation.

17. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I believe my join date is around that time too. I actually switched to using Macs and OS X because of Vista and how bad it was. Vista prevented me from doing any actual work. It turned my computer into an enemy. I had to fight with it to get anything o substance done. And I spent $400+ to be among the first to get it, and completely wrote that off as a loss.

That's never happened to me on OS X, from Tiger to Mavericks. Lion was pretty bad, but the issues were annoyances, not show stoppers. And yes Mavericks has had some glitches here and there, but I've personally only noticed them once someone has told me they exist.

So no, Mavericks is not Vista, not even close. If the OP truly thinks it's that bad, I'm sure Windows 8.1 will make him quite happy. :)

18. Ray Brady macrumors 6502

I'd just like to note that Vista ran flawlessly when I ran it on a MacBook Pro. It was only on a PC that it gave me any trouble.

19. Sven11 macrumors 6502a

I remember running Vista in 2007 with no Service Pack at all and it ran fine. (Of course not as good as OS X :D) In fact I had more problems with Windows XP back then. There was a time when I had like 2-3 blue screens per day and with Vista I had like 2-3 ever. (The problem was fixed by upgrading a driver, no blue screen ever since then)

Just because it didn't run well for some (I know tons of people who have/had Vista on their computer with no problems) doesn't make it a worse OS than other versions of Windows. The only real problem with Vista was the lack of driver support back then which wasn't a problem caused by the OS but by the hardware manufactures. Unfortunately the "Vista is bad" thinking is burned into the mind of a lot of people today. :rolleyes:

I still have a virtual machine today that's running Vista. It runs just as fine as my Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 virtual machines.

And Mavericks is way better than anything before. Period. Seriously.

20. jbarley, May 16, 2014
    Last edited: May 16, 2014

jbarley thread starter macrumors 68030

jbarley

For the record, I'm 78, been retired for almost 20 years and have been involved with computers both as a hobby and in Industrial control since Radio Shack came out with the TRS-80 model 1.
    I am familiar with MS Vista and OS X Mavericks, which after testing I choose not to use.
    I will be the first to admit I'm a dinosaur and do not take kindly to change anymore.
    I would like to have stayed with OS X 10.6.8 but from pure necessity have grudgingly moved up to Mountain Lion.

BTW my original post was meant to be "tongue in cheek"

21. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

ok, but how would anyone know that? maybe next time, you need one of these guys....

:eek: :rolleyes: :p ;) :D etc... :cool:

22. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

I loved Vista. I turned off all of the notifications and really never had a problem.

23. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

I agree. It's given me more speed and more RAM, and Safari is snappier. (Actually, it is.)

24. GlenK macrumors 6502a

GlenK

I have had no issues with Mavericks either. I have a couple with Safari but the OS has been fine.

25. UncleSchnitty macrumors 6502a

UncleSchnitty

I would say Mavericks is very stable, I really have very few issues and any that I have had its taken me a few web searches to fix or just a quick post here and even then its because Im doing something an average user probably wouldn't.

I guess people can complain about the user file disappearing but a fix was easily found here and it was patched very very quickly. I would say most issues that have popped up have effected maybe 20% of users and even then they are patched quickly.

Its true every OS/update has hiccups but thats why they send out patches. This was much more annoying when we didn't get patches as fast as we do now (flashbacks of windows 98 installer crashing and then trying to find drivers over dialup for my toshiba laptop ugh)

Either way I have been very happy with the OSX lineup in general, you can take that for all that my opinion is worth hah