Mavericks Update, stupid question(s)

joshs2000ss

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2010
I've had my iMac for a few years but haven't updated it to a newer OS than the one it came with (Mac OS X 10.6.8). I just got a notification to update to Mavericks and I haven't made the leap yet just because of a question or two.

Obviously, with any update such as this, I should back up data, but is the update supposed to preserve my data?

Will software packages, such as Adobe Design Studio, still work or will it need to be reinstalled/updated?

Nov 28, 2010
located
The upgrade to OS X 10.9 Mavericks will not delete any data, but as you know, backing up is ALWAYS a good idea.
If your applications are compatible with OS X 10.9 Mavericks, they should run fine, unless there are wide know bugs.

The upgrade to OS X 10.9 Mavericks might also be not a good idea, if you only have 2GB of RAM.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
I've had my iMac for a few years but haven't updated it to a newer OS than the one it came with (Mac OS X 10.6.8). I just got a notification to update to Mavericks and I haven't made the leap yet just because of a question or two.

Obviously, with any update such as this, I should back up data, but is the update supposed to preserve my data?

Will software packages, such as Adobe Design Studio, still work or will it need to be reinstalled/updated?
It'll normally work and your data should be preserved. However, Mavericks is optimized for SSDs and if you have a HDD upgrading isn't a good idea, even with 16GB of RAM.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
My MacPro came installed with M.L. on a standard spinner drive and 8GB memory. Mavericks is faster at everything on this machine. I'm curious as to how exactly it's optimized for SSDs. I may get one soon.

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
It'll normally work and your data should be preserved. However, Mavericks is optimized for SSDs and if you have a HDD upgrading isn't a good idea, even with 16GB of RAM.
i've had no issues with running mavericks on a computer with a spinning hard drive.

RedRaven571

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2009
Pennsylvania
I understand that it may be optimized for SSDs but that doesn't necessarily equate to 'sucks on HDDs'. I am running Mavericks on 4 machines: a late 2008 15" MBP (8GB RAM), an early 2009 iMac (8GB RAM), a 2011 13" MBP (4GB RAM) and a 2013 13" MBP (4GB RAM); all have HDDs and all are running just fine with Mavericks.