Max 13” for photo editing?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JPizzzle, Oct 5, 2018.

1. JPizzzle macrumors 6502

hey all,

How would a max spec (1tb) hold up with heavy Lightroom and some photo shop work. 80mg raw files? Would a iPad Pro suit me better? Not a pro, but a hobbyist . Would I be missing a lot with not having a dedicated graphics of the 15”?

JP

2. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

More than the horsepower - you'd miss the screen real estate of the 15 inch machine. A maxed out 13 would more than handle what you want to throw at it.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Don’t pay for the i7 on the 13 inch it will make no difference, unless you are video editing the graphics won’t matter but for 4K video the GPU on the 15 inch not to mention 6cores will make a massive difference.

If you are using a Mac then avoid lightroom and photoshop they are terribly optimised for macs. Look at pixelmator or other Mac friendly editing apps to get the best out of your Mac. (For video editing FCPX runs rings around anything else on your Mac)

4. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

"How would a max spec (1tb) hold up with heavy Lightroom and some photo shop work"

My opinion only, but you're wasting your money.

For photo editing, even a base model should do fine (8gb of RAM and 256gb SSD).

If your photo library is too large to keep on the internal drive, store it on an external USB3 SSD (far, far cheaper), and keep a second SSD for backups.

5. Howard2k macrumors 68020

Howard2k

Seconded. I keep a local “active” library but when files are done I move them to the NAS.

6. JPizzzle thread starter macrumors 6502

So ideal config: 2.3ghz, 16gb ram, 512ssd

External display

7. Howard2k macrumors 68020

Howard2k

That’s what I would buy. Possibly 256, but most likely 512. And without the external display. I don’t use one. But if I did I’m thinking it would be 4K.