Maximum amount of RAM for 15" late 2008 MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chewie100, Nov 27, 2009.

1. chewie100 macrumors newbie

As the title says, i'm still not clear even after reading through all the other threads what the general consensus is on this. I have Snow installed, with 2Gb RAM, and i'm getting the beachball a lot more (obviously), so I need to upgrade pretty soon as it's getting annoying..
    Has anyone tried putting 2x4Gb sticks in? What was the result?

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

This all depends. What is your model number? To find this, remove your battery and read the inner-lip of the notebook.

3. windels macrumors regular

windels

isn't it 4gb for al unibody's late 2008 model?

as I understand it, 6gb worked under leopard. but 4 remains the limit under snow leopard.

4. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Apple says 4gb but in actuality people have experimented with 8 gigs in the 2.66 and 2.93 models. Best to ask someone who's done it.

5. windels macrumors regular

windels

I believe 2.8 was the max cpu at the time then. I think you are referring to the 2009 models , which can take 8 gb

6. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Not according to Mac Tracker which reports a maximum 2.93ghz in the model with the removable battery.

7. chewie100 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have the 2.4Ghz
    Is the build number any use? Build 10C540

Mactracker does indeed say a maximum of 6Gb RAM, but AFAIK it's not possible to get 3Gb RAM sticks, which would mean having different sized sticks installed, which could cause Snow Leopard problems..

8. windels macrumors regular

windels

9. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

OK windels, you won. I forgot the update didn't come until 2009. You win 2 chocolate internetz.

Your MacBook Pro supports 4gb officially by Apple, however it is reported to work with up to 6gb using 1x4gb chip and 1x2gb chip. I highly recommend you speak with someone who has tried the second option before doing anything stupid. Nothing's worse than trying to return ram for incompatibility.

I'd recommend going with 2x2gb sticks =\ Trust me Snow Leopard handles it fine, it runs GREAT on my 2.4ghz MacBook aluminum with only 2gb ram. I have a feeling your beachballs are due to the hard drive. Have you installed all of your Software Updates? Go to the Apple and click Software Update.

If you are up to date and are still experiencing beachballs there has been an influx of calls to Apple for the same issue on the same or similar machines and they will likely offer to replace the hard drive.

Also: The build number is the version of the software you're using ;)

10. windels macrumors regular

windels

you can mail those chocolates if you want to ;)

but seriously,as I already mentioned, reports I read said that 6gb worked under leopard, but doesn't under snow leopard. I also looked this up because I own a 2.4 mbp late 2008.

11. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Ah, see this is why it's good to ask from first-hand experience.

I still think it's a hard drive issue as was widely reported even on these forums last year. Worth giving Steve a ring up.

Silly netter, chocolates internetz is not an object...it's a state of mind <8O

12. windels macrumors regular

windels

13. chewie100 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks MrCheeto. I was told by a friend who is a very experienced Mac admin that Snow Leopard's architecture is designed in such a way that it prefers both RAM sticks to be the same size, so I won't bother with the 2+4Gb RAM option.

As well as the more frequent appearance of the beachball, there is a general sluggishness in the Finder and the Icons quite often take some time to show up in Applications.. I will replace the HD with a 500Gb one soon anyway..

14. chewie100 thread starter macrumors newbie

15. windels macrumors regular

windels

16. chewie100 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, sorry, just saw the second part of that last post..:eek: