Maximum Security Education (60 Minutes)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by latergator116, Apr 15, 2007.

1. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

2. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I think it's a great idea. These people will leave prison very changed and with a good education. Much better than being released and going right back in.

3. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

My Dad is a teacher in a prison. For those who might complain about cost, it would be cheaper than them going back through the system again and staying in prison, just to be let out and starting all over again. Not saying there's a 100% rehab rate, no where close, but most of my Dad's students want to be there. And a lot of them desperately need it.

Surprised no one is in here yet complaining about how good we treat our prisoners, but in case someone will, we don't.

4. Queso macrumors G4

Having been through higher education myself, I can say there are a large number of not very bright people who get degrees simply by being born to the right parents. Therefore you have to conclude that there are a large number of very intelligent people that have not fulfilled their natural potential for the same reason.

Poor education has to be a contributing factor towards crime, especially these days where we're all taught that possessing enormous amounts of crap is the one indicator of success. Those with education can achieve this through work, those without either dream on lotteries or can turn to quicker more dangerous methods.

Schemes like this aren't going to work for all inmates, but let's give those willing to better themselves the chance to use the legal ladder. Well done to Bard College and the state of New York.