Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Just got my Maxtor One Touch Firewire Drive. So far I'm happy with the drive. It has a fan on it which I didn't really want but I have yet to hear the fan on it. So far I've copied 12 GB of data onto it from my iBook, done a full backup of my system (around 22GB) and am currently capturing DV video to it. Since my iBook only has one firewire port the video has to go through the firewire port on the hard drive, to the iBook and then back out the firewire port and onto the hard drive. So far Final Cut Express 2 hasn't hiccupped because of the drive and firewire not being able to keep up. This was one of my big concerns.

Anyhow, so far so good. If you'd like to know anything more about this particualr drive let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Edit: Hmmmm.... it works fine and all so far. However while I can get it to unmount from my iBook G4, getting it to remount tends to make the computer have a happy little Kernel Panic which I'm not too thrilled about. So I'm getting ahold of Maxtor to see what the situation is.

EDIT (again): Maxtor has a driver on their website that I needed to install to get the drive to remount properly. I also had to extract the sit file with StuffIt 9.0 (I had 8.0.2 installed) otherwise the installer would fail. But now that I've installed the driver everything is peachy. Yay!

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
SilentPanda said:
...am currently capturing DV video to it. Since my iBook only has one firewire port the video has to go through the firewire port on the hard drive, to the iBook and then back out the firewire port and onto the hard drive. So far Final Cut Express 2 hasn't hiccupped because of the drive and firewire not being able to keep up. This was one of my big concerns.
QUOTE]

I've got the 200GB version of this drive and the only problem I've got with it is the DV footage I captured as you did camera>External Drive through iMovie hicups during playback. I'm hoping this is the playback from the external drive rather than any loss during capture.

The whole purpose of the external drive was because my internal was failing and I needed to back-up. It's now failed and I'm waiting for a new iMac to be delivered before I can check what actually got captured.

t300

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2004
You know what I want...

One of those store demos that when you press the button, a guy says "Yes, that's all YOU have to do to back up your computer.." or something to that effect.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
The program SilverKeeper is kinda like that. It's a freeware backup utility from LaCie. Basically you fist have to tell it what directories to backup (I also like telling in the prefs to overwrite any differences in the destination with the source [like if a file in the destination is newer than the one in the source]) The default is to ask, which is annoying. But after the initial setup (really easy btw) you just hit the big "GO" button in the middle of the app window. It's really sweet.

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
Thanks for that info, I've been thinking of the maxtor or WestDig's media center, the 160 or 200gb version.

Does anyone here have first or second hand infor on the performance and stability with Mac of the WD media ctr? It also has a front power switch, one touch on demand and automated BU.

I can't find some of the reviews, but am sure it works with Mac. Would love a personal review verses magazine.

I will probably buy this external fw HD this week.
western digital media center

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.