May 1st deadline for mandatory support of 4-inch display iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by charmofmaking, Apr 22, 2013.

1. charmofmaking macrumors member

Just got this warning re iPhone 5 compliance when I uploaded a binary, might be old new but thought I would share.

2. macalec macrumors 6502

Interesting how they are forcing everyone to support the new iPhone 5 with those requirements. I do know that some developers have not updated the images to date. This could be a good thing to enhance all apps within the platform.

3. xArtx macrumors 6502a

It's a good thing.
    It's rather annoying to see an App run in 3.5 inch mode on a 4 inch screen.

4. truehybridx macrumors member

Yet the easiest way to make it compatible is include a bigger splash screen when u compile it... iPad had pixel double mode, why can't iPhone 5, instead of that black banner

5. maxosx macrumors 68020

This is good news, especially since it appears the 4.0" display is Apples new standard. It will insure the developers a stable specification for the next few years.

6. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

Because the iPad could simply scale the content two times. The iPhone 5 would have to change the aspect ratio, which would look terrible (as did the double scale on the iPad with iPhone only apps)

7. truehybridx macrumors member

Well yea, but the argument i was trying to make was the scaling was done automatically for iPad, if you do not have that bigger splash image the iphone shows that empty bar, if you have ONLY that bigger image and havent changed anything else the UI is stretched down a bit (which is fine for quite a few apps that use tableviews or other views that freely stretch like that)
    It just puzzles me why they chose doing that bar instead of just stretching and if it looks like crap let the developer fix it

8. xStep macrumors 68000

Because Apple doesn't like doing the crapping thing.

9. firewood macrumors 604

Because not running at all is better than looking like cr*p, for Apple's image. There are already too many thousands of ugly apps in the App Store. Getting rid of the ones that developers don't care about is a good thing.

10. Duncan C macrumors 6502a

Duncan C

Stretching is awful. Some people don't mind it, but many do. I am one of those that mind - really mind.

I cannot stand watching wide-screen movies on a standard def TV where everything is squished. Likewise with watching standard-def movies on an HD aspect screen, where everything is stretched out. It makes me nuts.

I would much rather watch "letterboxed" content then stretched. Much. In fact I can't watch stretched content. I have to quit watching. It makes me that nuts.

The same is true for stretching a UI from 3.5 to 4 inches. There is no single approach that would work for all apps, aside from stretching pixels (Blech!!!!)

It is much better to just put black bars and let the developers do the custom work to lay out their apps for the new screen size. If your solution to the problem is to stretch your app, then add the new default screen file, and add a transformation matrix

All this begs the question: Why in heaven's name did Apple release a device with a screen that's a LITTLE taller? I don't see any real value to that minor increase in height. Now if they made it taller AND wider, it would be good. Then developers and users would have more total space to work with. Personally, I don't think the extra height was worth the fragmentation of the platform that it causes - for developers, for Apple, and for customers.

11. xArtx macrumors 6502a

16:9 aspect ratio.... because you don't like stretching movies, it drives you nuts.