May 2014 was Earth's warmest May on record

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LIVEFRMNYC, Jun 23, 2014.

1. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Interesting.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/weather/2014/06/23/may-climate-report/11260723/

2. Vanilla Ice, Jun 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2014

Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

May 2014 was Earth's warmest May on record

Come on El Niño!!!!! We need it bad! At least in SoCal.

3. samiwas macrumors 65816

4. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Exactly!! And for this reason global warming is BS!

5. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

May was indeed awful hot here in los angeles

6. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

You know that 'global warming' and 'climate change' are two distinct phenomena, right?

7. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

/sarcasm

8. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Good good, wasn't sure.

Carry on.

9. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

10. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

My son can't control the weather, you know. Oh, you mean THAT El Niño.:p Personally, I blame the butterflies in the Amazon, or are they only responsible for tornadoes in Oklahoma?:D

11. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Ok I'll bite.

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

This man is a creationist. He doesn't believe that second hand smoke is bad for you. He's argued that asbestos is the same thing as talcum powder. He has been found to have no credibility as he on multiple times cited studies that have been debunked by numerous organizations, yet he keeps citing those claims.

Why exactly did you cite this man? :confused:

13. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

ROFL. Goddard? Are you serious?

Geologist/Electrical Engineer. Sounds qualified! ;)

14. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

I don't think global warming is real.

We've been talking about this since Al Gore was important and absolutely nothing has happened.

How has the earth survived 6 billion years through all kinds of conditions? The earth has proven itself to have gone through a lot during that time.

I'm sure it can handle a 2 degrees higher.

And all those scientists just want research money...they got to eat too!

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

For a supposed Democrat who became an Independent over "all the Democratic" scandals, you sure are fluent in Republican/Conservative talking points.

16. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

The earth can handle it, certainly.

17. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Um, other than evidence showing the Earth is getting hotter and hotter (on average) since the Industrial Revolution?

Of course the Earth will be just fine. I'm worried about HUMANS. Hell, humans will survive just fine as well, but not without massive social/societal upheaval. "Bread baskets" will dry up, wet/dry patterns will shift, etc. Basically hundreds of millions of people will starve, entire societies will have to change their way of life, etc.

We'll get through it in the same way humans get through wars/famine.

Um, they also get research money if they show that climate change isn't real. They're climate researchers.

18. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Oh, the earth can handle it. Back in the day, it was a huge chunk of molten rock and sulphur, I think it could survive through an atmosphere with higher CO2 concentrations, no problem.

And when you get right down to it, even the worst case scenario won't even spell the end of the entire human race. We're adaptable. We'll make due.

...but it'll suck, and suck hard. The trillions of dollars we'll spend combating the worse effects of global warming will drain our resources.

Millions of people will be displaced off the coasts due to rising water levels. Can they afford to move? Can we afford to move them? Where will they go?

The change in climate will mean that an area that was once considered a breadbasket is suddenly not the most ideal place to grow large amounts of crops. Will we be able to compensate, or will there be mass famines across the globe due to food shortages?

And what about all the various changes to the oceans? We could have mass fish extinctions, leading to more hunger and famine.

If there are food shortages, will we fight wars over them? How far will we go? Will there be mere spats? Will we cooperate with other nations for our mutual benefit? Will we fight huge land wars? Will we go nuclear?

There are a lot of ifs, and, and buts to global warming. I have no doubt that we'll weather it as a species. Things will eventually settle down. But between now and that point, there will be decades of desperation, doom and gloom, while we readjust to our new environment. Right now, it's almost an inevitability. We might as well accept it's gonna happen. How bad, we have no idea, but things are a'changing.

A goodly portion of that horror can be offset by doing something about it now. Cutting down on this, researching that, preparing for any potentialities. By doing the right things at the right time, we could change a horrible situation into one that's merely uncomfortable. We just have to go and do something about it, rather than trying to deny it until it's too late.

And 2 degrees is a pretty goddamn big deal.

edit: well hell, Lannister beat me to it. :p

19. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

20. citizenzen macrumors 65816

:eek:

The lack of intellectual rigor behind this post is simply astounding.

21. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

The warmer the degree and the warmer the waters, the more of a deteriorating jet stream as we know it. And anything is possible once it goes to far. NY could be the new tornado alley, the south might get huge blizzards and extreme cold every winter, everything could be out of wack.

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

People worried about everything ...

Oh. You mean like the deficit and debt?

I guess there's nothing to worry about there too.

23. FreemanW, Jun 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2014

FreemanW macrumors 6502

Clearly you have not the first clue what the consequences are for a shift of 2 degrees in the global mean temperature.

You know what the real crime is in all of this?

It's that the morons and idiots that don't think Global Climate change is real, they can't be separated from the rest of intelligent life on the planet.

We're all in the same lifeboat, and yet here we are, with a certain number of people, ignorant morons, a small percentage of ignorant morons, but a large integer of ignorant morons, and they're all whistling past the graveyard while they merrily go about drilling holes in the boat, below the waterline, to let water out.

History will not be kind.

Spectacular

----------

You know, I really enjoy that riff from George.

Maybe you've not watched it all the way through, to the point where it becomes apparent that George believes Global Climate Change is going to be the end of humans.

The planet will be fine.

It may take a couple of minutes or maybe an hour (in geologic terms) for the earth to recover from this surface (nuisance) plague known as humans . . . . . but humans?

. . . . . . hahaha, humans are toast on a stick.